I want to start recording...

One more thing...
If you can look for the isolated track videos on youtube you can hear and learn a lot. The only thing better is if you had access to some of the tracks themselves as you can pick up a few mixing tricks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, quick update. I'm up and running. FYI, I'm using Audacity. The free Able Lite that was included won't register, so that's a total waste. Audacity seems to be pretty easy, and the price was right.

I still have a lot of experimenting to do, but I'm at least able to record over my backing tracks. The biggest issue so far is my recording volume. I had my amp at a robust bedroom level, and I could barely hear it on playback. I had to add something like 15 db of gain to hear it well. It sounded pretty good, but I was surprised that it sounded like I'd cranked the distortion on the amp a little. If I'm thinking it through correctly, I just need to turn the amp up a little louder, so that I won't have too add gain to add volume on the track.

I also made a sad discovery. After having 2 more kids in the past 16 months, my playing has really deteriorated. I guess it takes more than an hour or two a week to keep the chops...

The biggest issue so far is my recording volume. I had my amp at a robust bedroom level, and I could barely hear it on playback. I had to add something like 15 db of gain to hear it well. It sounded pretty good, but I was surprised that it sounded like I'd cranked the distortion on the amp a little. If I'm thinking it through correctly, I just need to turn the amp up a little louder, so that I won't have too add gain to add volume on the track.

The issue is gain staging.

A dynamic mic usually needs a decent amount of gain at the preamp. That's where you want to increase the gain, not in the mix. Check your manual, and it will tell you how to set the microphone level.

It's also ok to reduce the volume of the backing track so that you leave sufficient headroom on the guitar track.

Recording volume was an issue for me at home, so I got an Avid Eleven Rack.
Guitar - 11R - Laptop/Pro Tools - headphones and you're done.
I also have some powered monitors to listen to what I recorded when possible...
For drums I use the EZ Drummer plugin.

Ok guys, here's my first attempt at home recording. Like I said, with arrival of the 2 babies, my playing has really gone downhill. That's why I'm getting into this. Just trying to force myself to improve, ya know? Anyway, here's a link:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12917310

To my ears, it sounds maybe just a little more distorted and compressed than it sounded live. It was a Modern Eagle with Dragons into an attenuated Super Lead 100, Greenback speakers, SM-57, maybe 2 inches from the grill, into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, then recorded with Audacity. I think I'll do the same track with a Les Paul and my Bluesbreaker in a day or two.

I REALLY appreciate the advice so far. I'd love to hear any other tone tips you may have.

Thanks,
Brad

Thanks so much for the kind words, gents. I think I going to crank the amp a bit next time. I thought the tone was a little thin, compared to what I was hearing in the room. I'll keep bugging you all for sure.
Thanks,
Brad

Like Les said, if you adjust the gain coming in, that may take care of some of what you hear.

Mic placement may play a part as well, although it sounds pretty good to me. If you have a looper, you can get the guitar part playing while you have headphones on and adjust the mic. That way you can concentrate on what you're hearing.

There are getting to be entirely too many good players in here... :rock:

Hi gents,
I hope you don't mind the additional intrusion, but I recorded Hideaway again. This time it has even more glaring mistakes! :laugh:

But honestly, I wasn't really paying attention to the playing. This was a tone exercise for me. I did a few tweaks, and I think I got a little better recorded tone this time. If it isn't too much trouble, would you all mind giving it another quick listen, and give some more feedback? The updated recording is called Hideaway2.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1160846&songID=12922562

On this take, I cranked the volume a bit. I also placed the mic near the edge of the speaker versus right on the center. I also discovered a stupid error on my part. I had engaged the 48v phantom power on my interface, but the SM-57 doesn't need it. That's for condensors.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any other tone advice you may have for me.

Many thanks,
Brad

Last edited:
One last question, gents. Do you have any good sources for high quality backing tracks? I think I have the basic recorded tone figured out pretty close to what I'm hearing in the room.
Thanks,
bs

I think this track sounds even better than the last one. My only suggestion would be to raise the guitar's level just a touch. Maybe 2 db or so. I'm presuming the organ is in the backing track, but if it's on its own track I'd pull it down a bit.

The playing's right on. You did a great job, Brad.

Both sound good, but definitely different tone,. :)

A couple of things I've found when working with recorded guitar... less gain (as opposed to Les gain :) ) is your friend. A super saturated tone that sounds great when playing alone typically gets buried when you mix a full band in. Second thing, if your recording program has a high pass filter, setting up one on the guitar track for high pass of around 200 hz will do wonders for helping the guitar sit in the mix. That, plus a 4 kHz bump up usually gives you a clear guitar track. Last thing... a thin guitar sound usually sits better in a mix as well.

Good stuff!

Back