I want to start recording...

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hello all,

I have some questions I hope you can answer. I'd like to get into recording some tracks, on the cheap, if possible. First off, I'm a hack. I have no illusions of releasing anything on the innocent public, I just want to use it for critiquing my practice sessions. Basically. I have a lot of backing tracks of songs I like, and just jam along.

What would be a good way to get up and running?

Thanks,
Brad

If you have a Mac or device that supports it, Garage band, a mic and an interface should be all you need. If you don't want to use a real amp, you can plug into the guitar into the interface and use some kind of modeling amp. Then you won't need a mic.

Similar simple programs and interfaces are offered for Windows machines.

You simply load your backing track into the software, and create a track for the guitar, and hit record. Very simple.

Edit: You know how PRS guitars can be addicting?

Recording gear can be equally addicting.

Audacity is a pretty decent free program available for both Mac and Windows.

I've been highly impressed with the Presonus stuff here lately. It may be worth looking into one of their $99 usb interfaces as it comes with a copy of Studio One 2. Having used ProTools in a couple of recording and mixing courses, I feel like the Studio One 2 gets me a good bit of ProTools capability that I am use to at a fraction of the cost. The interface and software is the first in my opinion. I'd be thinking about some good monitors as a second step. Just my ideas.

I'll agree with Les and the GB recommendation if you have a Mac, it'll recognize any interface you throw at it, even USB mics... If you're rockin' a PC? May god have mercy on your soul. :tongue:

Here is another option, the Zoom R24.
I have one, it is a 24 track recorder with built in drum machine.
It is pretty easy to learn how to use, and comes with a "thick" manual if you get stuck.
You can mix down on it for the final MP4 file to load onto your PC or Mac with a USB cable, and you can also load software it comes with to tweak on the PC or Mac.

All you need to get extra is a Shure 57 Mic, and some AA batteries if you want to use it without the power supply.
It also has two built in stereo mics so you can set it on the floor in a band environment and capture everything.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R24

1600-R24_blowup.jpg

zoomr24enregistreurnumerique-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also use GarageBand on an iPad with a iRig plug. Zoom also makes a smaller less expensive version of the unit Corey mentioned, it's called the R8 and has most of the features of the R24 (amp sims, effects, drums).

Really just a lot of options these days.

Ok gents, total newbie here. What's an interface? A console to plug mics into the computer?
Thanks,
bs

Last edited:
I should give you all the whole scoop. A few years ago (4 or 5?) I started gathering some things to start recording. But I ended up getting divorced, remarried, had kids, etc...anyway, I never got started. I bought a Boss BR-600, a pair of M Audio BX8 monitors, a SM-57 and an Audio Technica Cardoid Condensor mic. Oh yeah, something called an Audio Buddy mic preamp thingie. This was before home computer recording really took off. The Boss unit wasn't just an easy plug and play deal (for me anyway), so I never got started.

I'm a PC user, but I think some folks tweaked GarageBand for old-school windows guys. Am I correct in thinking all I need is an interface? Any suggestions? Like I said, I'm a hack. This is just for fun...practice, seeing which pickups sounds best, etc.

Thanks!
bs

Cool. I'm reading up on GC's website now.
Thanks,
bs

I've been highly impressed with the Presonus stuff here lately. It may be worth looking into one of their $99 usb interfaces as it comes with a copy of Studio One 2. Having used ProTools in a couple of recording and mixing courses, I feel like the Studio One 2 gets me a good bit of ProTools capability that I am use to at a fraction of the cost. The interface and software is the first in my opinion. I'd be thinking about some good monitors as a second step. Just my ideas.

I hear Garage Band is great on the Mac, but so far I am not happy with it on the iPad.
I can only record one track with drums, I have better luck with the Zoom unit.

Hi guys. Quick update. I ran to Guitar Center and got a Focusrite Scarlett interface. The guy there said the Audiobox was easier to use, but the Scarlett sounds better. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play with it till Monday. I'll be partying down in San Diego and Norfolk for the next couple days. Thanks for the advice so far. I'm sure I'll bug you a lot more when I actually get down to business.
Thanks,
Brad

Naw, I'm straight. :D

I work for an airline. Those happen to be my overnights.

Last edited:
You made a good choice with the Focusrite. A lot of folks think it's the best in its price range.

If you all don't mind, would you please give me some pointers on how to get a good recorded sound? From what I've been able to glean from the net, I think a good starting point would be placing the SM57 at about half of the diameter of the speaker cone at a 45 degree angle, and mixing the condensor mic a few feet away? Mic levels should be adjusted so that it clips, then back off the volume just a bit? How loud should I push the amp?
Thanks,
Brad

If you all don't mind, would you please give me some pointers on how to get a good recorded sound? From what I've been able to glean from the net, I think a good starting point would be placing the SM57 at about half of the diameter of the speaker cone at a 45 degree angle, and mixing the condensor mic a few feet away? Mic levels should be adjusted so that it clips, then back off the volume just a bit? How loud should I push the amp?
Thanks,
Brad

Start with the 57 by itself, and experiment with your cab by putting the mic at a 90 degree angle to the grille in the center of the cone. Play with headphones on, and see how you like the tone. Move the mic a little further toward the edge, play, listen, move the mic more toward the edge, etc. It's so simple to get a good tone. If you have someone who can move the mic a while you play to find the sweet spot, that's often a help.

Most engineers in big studios prefer to have the 57 straight on, but a few will angle it. That's just personal preference and something to experiment with. Generally, closer to the cone = brighter, farther from the cone = darker, and angling the mic a little will distort the mic's diaphragm a bit less and give a slightly different vibe.

More hit records have been made this way than any of us can count. It's the classic way to record a guitar amp, and it's hard to screw up. If you've heard my recordings with a 57 (there are a couple in recent threads), for reference my technique was to use the 57 straight on the cone about an inch away from the grille. You'll find you get a great tone and you can crank the amp to whatever volume you like without breaking the mic in any case.

Don't screw around with both mics until you get using just the 57 down. In fact, it's the most unnecessary thing I can think of in recording guitar, and very few engineers do it. Many engineers will blend a second mic, but it'll be a ribbon, not a condenser. Use the condenser with your acoustic.

If you want a lot of room tone, to have the recording sound a bit more like the amp sounds in the room, I recommend putting the condenser near where your ears hear it. Most people don't listen to guitar amps at knee level, but for some reason put room mics there, then wonder why it doesn't sound like they hear it! ;)

Last edited:
Back