I want to put a little home studio together...

If you were not just getting your feet in the water, I would have other recommendations but for what you are starting into keeping it simple is the best way. There are a number of good DAW software packages out there. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. They all pretty much do the same thing but in different ways. People tend to start out on one and then end up liking that one because that is how they learned to put things together.

I started on Pro Tools. I would never recommend that unless you are a technical kind of person. It is a very deep pool. I went with it because it was the industry standard at the time. I have since moved on to using a few different DAWs since Pro Tools doesn't seem to want to sell to the guy like me that isn't making money with their software. They finally hit a price point I was not willing to pay. They have been trying to get me back ever since I left. I even had a discussion with them before I dropped them about how they were pricing their software for those of us that don't make money with it. They seemed to be more interested in the big studios.

Headphone recommendations? Haven’t owned any in decades. I’m a little nervous about this because I wear hearing aids sometimes.
I use Beyer Dynamics DT 770 Studio 80 ohm headphones. I bought these on the recommendation of someone that has spent a very large amount of time mixing with both headphones and monitors. They are pretty comfortable for longer sessions. They are supposed to be one of the flattest response headphones in their price range. They do take a bit more power to push them due to the ohms. They have another model that is even higher ohms and more money.

Most lower priced headphones have a scooped response and boosted in the bass. I had a couple of sets of Audio Technica headphones n the past. There were like AT-50 or something like that. They were okay but I like the Beyer Dynamics better. There is a pretty big price difference between them. The ear cups on the ATs started peeling real bad and I couldn't find replacements for them so both pairs ended up in the trash. It was a shame because they still worked.

I use Beyer Dynamics DT 770 Studio 80 ohm headphones. I bought these on the recommendation of someone that has spent a very large amount of time mixing with both headphones and monitors. They are pretty comfortable for longer sessions. They are supposed to be one of the flattest response headphones in their price range. They do take a bit more power to push them due to the ohms. They have another model that is even higher ohms and more money.

Most lower priced headphones have a scooped response and boosted in the bass. I had a couple of sets of Audio Technica headphones n the past. There were like AT-50 or something like that. They were okay but I like the Beyer Dynamics better. There is a pretty big price difference between them. The ear cups on the ATs started peeling real bad and I couldn't find replacements for them so both pairs ended up in the trash. It was a shame because they still worked.
They're about $160 on Amazon.

They're about $160 on Amazon.
That is a little cheaper than what I paid for them. I have had them for probably 6 or 7 years now.

I've had those. Liked them. About $60 on Amazon.

Do all headphones require a separate amp?
No. It will depend on the ohms of them. The higher ohms the more power it takes to drive them. Your interface will have enough power to drive the ones we have been talking about. I haven't had the need to use an external headphone amp, although I have one if I need to.

That is a little cheaper than what I paid for them. I have had them for probably 6 or 7 years now.

No. It will depend on the ohms of them. The higher ohms the more power it takes to drive them. Your interface will have enough power to drive the ones we have been talking about. I haven't had the need to use an external headphone amp, although I have one if I need to.
Thanks. Like i said, this will be mostly for acoustic guitar. Some vocals. Some percussion. Probably not much bass although I do own and play bass. Just want to get some of my new original acoustic guitar pieces recorded for posterity.

Last edited:
Headphone recommendations? Haven’t owned any in decades. I’m a little nervous about this because I wear hearing aids sometimes.
A lot of this is going to be dependent on your budget, but here is what I have and like.

First I had that were anything other than <$30 were the Sennheiser HD280 Pro's (<$100). Sounded better than anything else I had tried, and I used them for about 5 years before I had to replace the ear cups. For this model, they have been around long enough that aftermarket cups are available as well as OEM versions. I replaced with some really nice cups (that cost about half of what the phones did) and I still use them from time to time.

My next foray was stepping up to the Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro 250 Ohm. I think I paid about $180 and I use them to this day (owned ~7 years). I think they are great cans and a couple of years ago I put some lambskin cups on them which made them much more comfortable. The sound is great, but they are a little bit heavier than the HD280's and a lot heavier than my AKG's, so I don't use them for long sessions. No external amp has ever been required to use them with multiple different interfaces, but a good headphone amp will almost always improve the performance of your cans IME.

My favorites, and ones I can wear ALL DAY are the AKG K712 Pro's. These are the best sounding cans I have owned and they are also the most comfortable. @markd21 mentioned above that he really likes his AKG Studio 240's and I believe they are a similar design when it comes to fit, comfort and lightness. The 240's are also significantly less expensive (<$100). I just looked at the pricing on the K712 Pro's and Amazon has them for $320!!!! If I had the fun cash available, I would buy a second pair at that price. I paid $460 about 4 years ago and list price is $659 (which is what Sweetwater is selling them at). If you can afford the $320, I would get these.

I also have a pretty nice set of IEM (In Ear Monitors) from Westone (UM Pro 50). They are what they are, in your ear but best sounding IEM's I have ever tried or owned. Five drivers in each ear bud with 3 crossovers. You can get them for about $400 and they list around $600. Just don't expect the sound stage you get from a nice pair of cans or an "amp in the room" effect, ain't gonna happen.

Best of luck in your studio adventure!

A lot of this is going to be dependent on your budget, but here is what I have and like.

First I had that were anything other than <$30 were the Sennheiser HD280 Pro's (<$100). Sounded better than anything else I had tried, and I used them for about 5 years before I had to replace the ear cups. For this model, they have been around long enough that aftermarket cups are available as well as OEM versions. I replaced with some really nice cups (that cost about half of what the phones did) and I still use them from time to time.

My next foray was stepping up to the Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro 250 Ohm. I think I paid about $180 and I use them to this day (owned ~7 years). I think they are great cans and a couple of years ago I put some lambskin cups on them which made them much more comfortable. The sound is great, but they are a little bit heavier than the HD280's and a lot heavier than my AKG's, so I don't use them for long sessions. No external amp has ever been required to use them with multiple different interfaces, but a good headphone amp will almost always improve the performance of your cans IME.

My favorites, and ones I can wear ALL DAY are the AKG K712 Pro's. These are the best sounding cans I have owned and they are also the most comfortable. @markd21 mentioned above that he really likes his AKG Studio 240's and I believe they are a similar design when it comes to fit, comfort and lightness. The 240's are also significantly less expensive (<$100). I just looked at the pricing on the K712 Pro's and Amazon has them for $320!!!! If I had the fun cash available, I would buy a second pair at that price. I paid $460 about 4 years ago and list price is $659 (which is what Sweetwater is selling them at). If you can afford the $320, I would get these.

I also have a pretty nice set of IEM (In Ear Monitors) from Westone (UM Pro 50). They are what they are, in your ear but best sounding IEM's I have ever tried or owned. Five drivers in each ear bud with 3 crossovers. You can get them for about $400 and they list around $600. Just don't expect the sound stage you get from a nice pair of cans or an "amp in the room" effect, ain't gonna happen.

Thanks!

Under $100 would be best because i have other things I'll need to buy too, and this is really just a vanity project.

But I could spend more if need be.

I'm leaning to the AKG 240's for "bang for the buck" quality ($57.60 on Amazon), or the Beyer DT 770 ($159.) or Beyer 990 Premium Edition 250 ohm ($179).

Would the Beyers be signifacantly better with the Scarlett Focus Rite?

And what about the impedance thing? Will the Scarlett drive the higher impedence headphones?

Headphone recommendations? I’m a little nervous about this because I wear hearing aids sometimes.
At least with me (with tinnitus), it can be harder to tell how loud headphones are compared to amps/speakers in the room. And also consider what your main use for the headphones is. For overdubbing you may want closed back cans with less audio bleed and may not need quite the quality that you would want if, instead like @Moondog Wily, you also use them for mixing/mastering.

I have Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ($120 open box at B and H) which have an impedance of 38 ohms and the which sounded great with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and sounded fantastic for rock thru the UA Apollo 8. So the Focusrite will give you a great sound without going to higher end hardware that will be as much or more than the headphones.
My favorites, and ones I can wear ALL DAY are the AKG K712 Pro's.
Great overall summary. Those are really tempting.

At least with me (with tinnitus), it can be harder to tell how loud headphones are compared to amps/speakers in the room. And also consider what your main use for the headphones is. For overdubbing you may want closed back cans with less audio bleed and may not need quite the quality that you would want if, instead like @Moondog Wily, you also use them for mixing/mastering.

I have Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ($120 open box at B and H) which have an impedance of 38 ohms and the which sounded great with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and sounded fantastic for rock thru the UA Apollo 8. So the Focusrite will give you a great sound without going to higher end hardware that will be as much or more than the headphones.

Great overall summary. Those are really tempting.
Then I'll be on the look out for some Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones too!

Those are about $160 on Amazon.

Better choice than the Beyer 770's?

Same price.

Thanks!

Under $100 would be best because i have other things I'll need to buy too, and this is really just a vanity project.

But I could spend more if need be.

I'm leaning to the AKG 240's for "bang for the buck" quality ($57.60 on Amazon), or the Beyer DT 770 ($159.) or Beyer 990 Premium Edition 250 ohm ($179).

Would the Beyers be signifacantly better with the Scarlett Focus Rite?

And what about the impedance thing? Will the Scarlett drive the higher impedence headphones?
I have never listened to the AKG 240's, so I can't really say, but I would not hesitate for a moment to try them considering AKG's reputation and my love of the 712's.

I've not had a problem driving the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm phones with anything I have used. That includes Tascam Model 12 mix board, Onyx Blackjack interface, Axe FXIII modeler, etc. As mentioned though, a headphone (pre)amplifier will make any quality cans sound better, but totally unnecessary in your circumstances.

@Prina makes an excellent point that "closed back" headphones are best for when you are tracking (recording) stuff because you get less bleed into the mics from your headphones. Of the cans I listed above the DT990 and K712 are considered "semi-closed". The HD280's are closed back. The AKG240's are considered semi-closed as well. IEM's are of course going to be the least bleed, but different duck all together.

Last edited:
Here is an article ( https://www.taggdigital.com/blog/ohm-Impedance ) on Ohms and headphones. Anything above 64 Ohms or so is generally considered audiophile or studio, and requires more power to drive them as there is more resistance (sorry Prina, I think you logic is reversed but am happy to be proven wrong).
More resistance takes more power to push them for sure.

I have the k712s as well and love them. If you have the budget, you’ll probably love them. If not you can return them.

sorry Prina, I think you logic is reversed but am happy to be proven wrong).
Thanks @Moondog for the clarification. I was coming from the normal consumer audio amp setting. For many amps having a low impedance speaker < 4 ohms is not recommended because they draw too much current (and power) and therefore too much power for any given voltage.

In this headphone context, the higher impedance headphones require more voltage to get the same amount of current, which is what moves the coils. So you're correct since with the same amount of current and a higher voltage, it's more power. Also, the article you referenced noted that >25 ohms is high impedance and I'll defer to you that >64 ohms is audiophile/studio quality.

Last edited:
I use Beyer Dynamics DT 770 Studio 80 ohm headphones. I bought these on the recommendation of someone that has spent a very large amount of time mixing with both headphones and monitors. They are pretty comfortable for longer sessions. They are supposed to be one of the flattest response headphones in their price range.
They're excellent headphones, and are a studio standard, especially for tracking. I've usually had a pair around in my studio, though I switched to the DT-1770 for tracking when it came out, and I like that set a lot, too.

However, it's really hard to find closed back cans with a flat frequency response, and the DT-770s are no exception.

Nonetheless, they have a nice top end that doesn't get harsh easily, and good transient response. As you mention, they're very comfortable for a lot of people, too.

I find they're a bit ripe in the bass, despite their response curve, but that could be the shape of my ears and head - it's different for everyone with any set of cans. They do goose the upper mids and highs quite a bit, but subjectively it comes across as detail, not harshness.

To make cans give the impression of speakers in a room, the frequency response is sometimes all over the place, and that's OK.

You can use Sonarworks for headphones on the mix bus to get a truly flat response; it's a great piece of software for cans. If I listen or mix on headphones, I'll often use it as a reality check.

They say don't mix on cans, especially closed back cans, but my son mixed a record on a pair of them while traveling on a tour, and it eventually went gold. And during the pandemic, I mixed audio for several TV ads on both the 1770s and a set of Audeze LCD-X, with clients who were on their computers remotely (I used cans to get an idea of what they were hearing, and in fact sent them sets of headphones so we'd all be on the same page).

You just never know what will work! But it's a good idea to 'learn' their response by using them and comparing with other monitoring sources anyway.

Back