I think my tastes in guitars is changing...

IRG

So I've always liked having a few of the "classic" type guitars in my humble arsenal, but lately that's been changing, thanks to my recent acquisition of a PRS SE Clint Lowery. I've liked this guitar a lot more than I expected (I've had 3 other SE models before it, and didn't bond with them for one reason or another).

Now I'm thinking of adding a S2 Standard 24 or 22, not sure which yet (and partly where you come in here).

I also have:

Custom Shop Fender Telecaster (easily my most valuable guitar in $)
Epiphone Les Paul 1960 v3 (I sold a vintage Gibson LP for the Epi, with no regrets)
Epi Sheraton w/DiMarzio 36th PAFs (had a recent headstock repair, which has hurt resale)
Epi '56 Les Paul Pro w/P90's, in Chicago Blue
Fender Classic Player 50's Strat (black, maple neck, CS components)
Agile Harm1 (don't play it, but won't sell it - likely give it to one of the kids)

And the PRS SE Clint Lowery

I'm not sure the classic guitar is my cup of tea anymore, and am thinking about selling the Fender Strat and the Epi '56 Les Paul to fund the PRS S2 Standard. I've even toyed with the idea of selling the Epi 1960v3 for a PRS S2 Standard Singlecut, but that might be a bit much.

So I'm asking a biased crowd obviously, whether I should sell the strat and the '56 LP for another PRS. I can't really afford a Core model, so the S2 is what I'm most comfortable with price wise, and I like the feature set overall. Suits me.

Yes or no?

And if yes, do I go with a S2 Standard 24 or 22? The CL I have now is a 24 fret model, but it's a 25.5" scale, and it's in dropped tuning. Not sure how the HFS pickups in the S2 24 differ from the #7 pickups in the S2 22. And whether the HFS pickups in the 24 differ at all from the SE CL pickups (SE HFS treble, SE Vintage bass).

I think much of this thinking is based on musical tastes. Which is quite varied. I love some blues, rock, classic rock, some alternative and ambient stuff. But at the end of the day, I'm more of a heavier player even at my advanced age of almost 50. I like the Deftones, Sword, Mastodon, Baroness, Chevelle, etc. Mastodon being my most favorite lately.

Thoughts?

Brent Hinds in Mastodon has been playing a PRS Starla recently.

10954845_340573022810584_2144096772_n.jpg

I would keep the Epi Sheraton because with the headstock break its resale is low, and those are really good guitars, especially for the money. I used to have one with Fralin P-92s and it held its own with my PRSi. IMHO any of the others I would let go. I think of Telecasters and Stratocasters as parts guitars, doesn't matter if they're Indonesian or USA Custom Shop. Rather have a PRS any day. Why not sell the other 4 or 5 and get a core PRS?

Love Brent! Funny, I always thought their music suited the Game of Thrones, then found out they were extras in the epic battle scene last week. I think Brent plays another model too doesn't he?

As for as the Tele goes, there is sentimental reason for keeping it (won it from PGS in 2010) and it's a terrific sounding guitar too.

The Strat is expendable. The Sheraton, you're right, not worth selling, and it is pretty good as is. The 1960v3 although "just" an Epi, is a really nice one, plays great, Gibson pickups in it. Could be expendable, not right now. The '56 is expendable, but it's likely only to fetch $300-400. The strat with a hsc maybe $600+. So it's really not enough to get me to a Core. But somewhere on the horizon I'll likely splurge for one. 3 kids are expensive, braces on 2, and college is a year away. Damn.

So the S2 line is a nice alternative for me. Standard 24 or 22, any chance to play or hear both? No dealers near me.

I'd take a roadtrip to the best PRS dealer in the general area and really see, feel & hear for yourself what is the right piece for you. I'd also take a good look at the core models too, you might find a used one near the same price as an S2. Lotta variables there: already got guitars, kid expenses, S2 vs core?, may need to sell gear, etc.

Play an S2, a new core, a used core......... judge for yourself, it might be worth your while to wait after you sell some gear and maybe save a little more $ (you've got guitars to play for now). A guitar guru here in the city that writes a column for GP magazine gave me some golden advice: "Only buy guitars that you truly love."

Sell 'em all and be patient! Used Core Standards, CE's, SAS, McCarty's, NF3's, Mira's, and so on can all be had for the same price or less than a new S2 if you you look hard (and long) enough.

I came to a similar conclusion about 14 years ago, sold off my other stuff, and have been all PRS ever since.

Not sure it matters what you get, since they're all good and you'll eventually be buying more anyway. ;)

S2 or core, all good, right?

What you need is a Vela or a Starla.Something different soundwise.You keep all of your guitars and buy the S2 when you have money. :)

I came to a similar conclusion about 14 years ago, sold off my other stuff, and have been all PRS ever since.

Not sure it matters what you get, since they're all good and you'll eventually be buying more anyway. ;)

S2 or core, all good, right?

Right!

Don't want to sell them all, that would be a mistake. But a couple, sure thing. I will keep an eye out though for a used Core. No rush on this. Still like the S2 line a lot though, and with free financing from Sweetwater, it makes buying new a good option. I bet there's a decent discount available too. I think they knocked off 10% on my SE CL without me even asking, and it was the only one in stock. They have a lot of S2's right now. I could see some fairly steep discounts come later this calendar year.

Back