I just have to say...

Pardon if I'm off-topic, but I think this touches on the subject of this thread...congrats on your Custom, btw.

Since I heard about the Alex Lifeson Thinline, I have wanted one and placed a preorder. I have seen a not-so-favorable (to the thinline) comparison against the cheaper, mahogany top A10E(The A10E sounded much fuller and not thin like the thinline(no pun intended!)). I understand that the thinline was designed as a stage performance guitar and was designed to be amped and to resist feedback, so maybe I shouldn't expect so much from the acoustic sound. Now that delivery of the thinline has been pushed out until June, and I "discovered" the Angelus Standard and Custom, I am reconsidering to buy the Custom instead. I mean solid rosewood back and sides will sound better than Dao, right?

I managed to find a new Custom at a good price, but not sure about the switch yet. Any comments or advice?

If you're having doubts, try to find sound samples as soon as you can. Your ears are going to be the best judge for you.

As for the solid rosewood back and sides sounding "better" - maybe. Again, that's going to be your call. The guitars vary, construction varies. The "lesser" guitar may sound better to you.

On my soundcloud page (http://www.soundcloud.com/alantig), I have a solo acoustic track cut with my Larrivee and my then-new PRS SE Angelus Custom. If I recall, the mic'ing was pretty much identical, but I may have used the PRS's pickup in the mix. There's also an acoustic comparison track, but at this point, I don't remember which was which in there.

Above all - use your ears. Quick story about the Larrivee - the year I bought it, I went to a summer guitar workshop. One of the instructors was a Martin endorser, and she noticed my guitar during one of the classes. She asked me if I'd considered a Martin when I bought it, and I said not only had I considered it, I'd expected to get a Martin. She asked why the Larrivee then, and I said, "It just sounded better". You'd have thought I just said her kid was ugly. "How can you say that? How can you say it sounded better?" Uh, because I listened. And every time I pull that Larrivee out, my wife says, "I still love the sound of that guitar."

And every time I pull that Larrivee out, my wife says, "I still love the sound of that guitar."

I am very tempted to do one of those "that's not what she says when I pull mine out" jokes. But I will resist.

I wish to note, however, that my father (RIP) would have made that joke and not thought twice about it.

I am very tempted to do one of those "that's not what she says when I pull mine out" jokes. But I will resist.

I wish to note, however, that my father (RIP) would have made that joke and not thought twice about it.

Please - you're not going to offend me. Or her. After all, this is the woman who, when I told her that Jack Ely (lead singer of the Kingsmen and "Louie Louie") died the other day said, "Well, I guess he had to go now." Usually it's me who says stuff like that and she rolls her eyes.

Then again, she's also the woman who laughed sometime after her father died when the family was together, and her mother or sister said, "Well, dad would be happy knowing we're all together," and I said, "I'd bet he'd rather be here."

Thanks for the advice, alantig. My choice ended up being the SE Angelus Alex Lifeson model, which I purchased last week. A wonderful guitar, very comfortable, sounds great to me, although I admit to being a relative newbie to guitars, especially acoustics. I do notice the sound is not quite as full as my dreadnought, but since this guitar has a smaller body, I expected that to be the case. I'm really enjoying this great instrument! See a picture here, at the end of this thread: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?13554-SE-Alex-Lifeson-Thinline-Acoustic!

[video]https://www.facebook.com/larry.wilsonjr.3/videos/848547071848933/?l=1455091900867505098[/video]

The above link is me playing my SE Angelus Standard...if you're part of the PRS Guitar Forum on Facebook, this'll be a rerun :)

Back