I have a friend who has a bunch of guitars...

Blues is great! I started out pre-internet with a dvd and book. Later a friend gave me some helpful tips and lessons. Eventually I became a YouTube junkie as well as a tab nerd. Most recently I decided to learn my scales and that has really helped me out a lot! Now I can noodle and do some improvising that actually sounds ok. I think the most important thing is to practice regularly with a plan, work on different things to mix it up, and have fun. Just my $.02

Train your ear. Scales, arpeggios, etc are important, but training your ear will keep you happiest and most engaged ONCE you get over an initial hump of frustration, particularly if you’re interested in improvising music that doesn’t value technique at a premium
Playing solos that just go over various shapes will likely, over time, leave you less satisfied than hearing what you want in your head, and being able to execute it on the guitar.

You can learn the pentatonic blues “box” easily enough from a real basic book.
If the book comes with a play along CD, even better.

This. Learn that scale first, and then you can play 90% (to some degree) of blues songs. Then you can get creative and tasty from there.

I assume you can keep time. ? If not, get a different hobby.

I’ll advise what i find is the most important agenda, and then write down what amongst your options can help achieve the agenda.

1) Musical sense and ear
This is by far the most important. It’s the brain and central nervous system. Being able to play 1000 notes a second would be useless if they made no musical sense.
- Copying songs and solos by ear is a good way to develop this.
- It also develops ‘feel’ because you’re learning from the best writers and players by aping them.
- Copy the solos by ear and then examine where they lie on the blues minor and major scales. This will give you an appreciation and identity of each note on the scale, in relation to the bass note or key of the song, so that you don’t play the scales blindly.

2) Improvisation
- Scales are indispensable for this ability. You have to extrapolate and then familiarise the minor and major scales throughout the whole fingerboard.
- Then you have to learn to identify each note by ear (blindfolded), in relation to the bass or key of the song. That way, you’re never lost and you always know exactly where you are at any time. That’s also true musicianship because you already know how each note will sound before you play them, so you can literally play exactly what is in your head, live real time. That makes your live improvised solos melodic and musical, as opposed to just running up and down the scales robotically. That’s important.

3) Right and left hand coordination.
- This is really important to get right. It’s far better to play slow, and use the slow speed to gain a feel of what it means to really coordinate your picking and fingering, than to attempt to play fast before you achieve that feel and coordination.
- No option for this other than practice, and paying meditative attention to the picking and fingering as they occur. As you get better go faster.

4) Techniques
- Once you master the basics above, techniques like proper bending, vibrato, vibrato while bending, harmonics, pinch harmonics, tap harmonics etc are very valuable for enhancing the quality of your playing.
- Best way for techniques is a (good) teacher or YouTube. Books are not so useful. Neither are teachers that do not have the ability to gauge where you are, your personal objectives, and then chart a systematic path customized to you. There are teachers with whom lessons are laissez faire chit chat sessions.

That’s about all I can conjure. I am not a good player mind you, just an okay one, so take my advice with a pinch of salt. I just play well enough to record my own songs and that’s my objective all along.

I think, as others have pointed out, that you need to do a little bit of everything. You also need to get a good grip on what works best for you.

YouTube, and the like, are a great resource. There are lots of lesson programs out there as well. True Fire has a lot of great content and lessons.

I've had meh success with live taught lessons. Way back in the 80s, when I first took lessons, I had a great teacher that got me going. Guitar For The Practing Musician was also a staple, for me. I made some good progress, and was happy with it. Then, life got in the way. Fast forward 20 years; I decide to take lessons again. Found a great teacher. Started well, then devolved into me sitting there while he wrote out tabs to songs. Dude, I don't even like Pink Floyd, why we doing this. Outta there. Ten years later, I'm back at lessons. Poor choice. Nice guy. Knows his stuff. But, I'm not into "this is a whole note, this is a quarter note, etc. I don't want a beginner book and I'm not learning Row Row Your Boat. One day, I'll find a good instructor. Mostly, it's on me. I may not have the time to invest in learning an instructors lesson in a week. I don't want to waste his/her time either.

Finally, hand me a life preserver; I'm in the same boat you are!

Cool. Minor Pentatonic Blues first. Got it!
Yep, learn and memorize the shape of that box first. You can move it all over the neck to account for whatever key the song is in. You can use that box and extensions of it to improv over anything. I had a teacher that showed me how to do this over "Keep your hands to yourself" by the Georgia Satellites. Neither of us liked the song much but it was good teaching tool. We both played along to the song, 1 would take the rhythm role, 1 improvise lead and we'd switch back and forth over the whole song. This was pre internet and backing track days, so it's much easier now to find something to you liking to jam over.

You have to do all that sh!t, Casi.

The one on one lessons will keep you honest and accountable, the YouTube stuff is a great place to get a quick fix for a tune or a part you can’t figure out, the book will be there for power outages and family vacations, geeking out on a specific tune will give you a deeper insight to how songs are created and teach you the discipline of what it takes to play a whole song instead of just parts, and... scales and modes are what you’re gonna have to learn in order to string all those little licks into a cohesive solo.

I mean, you gotta do ‘em all, and you have to want to do it all. I’ll even add that you should join or start a band to your list.

In order of importance since you asked, I’d sign up with a teacher, and then at least work on nailing the natural major and minor scales. It’s important to imprint those patterns into your brain until you don’t think about them anymore, then you can work on the other scales and modes.
This. Or at least, the parts of This that make sense to the individual.

I took guitar lessons when I started out. I will preface that within about three years, I realized my small-ish hands with thick fingers were not going to be as "nimble" as the typical shredders of the mid-80s were - but I didn't understand that right away. My teacher was a hair-band shredder - a darned good one! But I couldn't learn from him, because he was trying to teach me to play the way he played. Similarly, I cannot learn any John Mayer songs where he does his nice complex stretchy chords - my hand simply cannot reach that many frets.

Now, since this was the days before Youtube, I instead bought guitar magazines with song transcriptions of songs I could learn and actually play (Guitar for the Practicing Musician, mainly), listened to and played along with LPs, tapes, and eventually CDs when they came out, and jammed with others when I finally felt brave enough.

If you, I mean your friend, can find someone who matches close enough on physical capabilities (i.e. not John Mayer teaching me "Neon", for example), then I think that will be an awesome one-on-one lesson experience.

Last edited:
Seems you’ve done some one on one lessons, so while on break I would:
Get a blues book and play through it
Get really comfortable with the minor scale (pentatonic just leaves out some notes)
Pick a few songs you like the feel of and practice until your technique let you express the feel

I’ll advise what i find is the most important agenda, and then write down what amongst your options can help achieve the agenda.

1) Musical sense and ear
This is by far the most important. It’s the brain and central nervous system. Being able to play 1000 notes a second would be useless if they made no musical sense.
- Copying songs and solos by ear is a good way to develop this.
- It also develops ‘feel’ because you’re learning from the best writers and players by aping them.
- Copy the solos by ear and then examine where they lie on the blues minor and major scales. This will give you an appreciation and identity of each note on the scale, in relation to the bass note or key of the song, so that you don’t play the scales blindly.

2) Improvisation
- Scales are indispensable for this ability. You have to extrapolate and then familiarise the minor and major scales throughout the whole fingerboard.
- Then you have to learn to identify each note by ear (blindfolded), in relation to the bass or key of the song. That way, you’re never lost and you always know exactly where you are at any time. That’s also true musicianship because you already know how each note will sound before you play them, so you can literally play exactly what is in your head, live real time. That makes your live improvised solos melodic and musical, as opposed to just running up and down the scales robotically. That’s important.

3) Right and left hand coordination.
- This is really important to get right. It’s far better to play slow, and use the slow speed to gain a feel of what it means to really coordinate your picking and fingering, than to attempt to play fast before you achieve that feel and coordination.
- No option for this other than practice, and paying meditative attention to the picking and fingering as they occur. As you get better go faster.

4) Techniques
- Once you master the basics above, techniques like proper bending, vibrato, vibrato while bending, harmonics, pinch harmonics, tap harmonics etc are very valuable for enhancing the quality of your playing.
- Best way for techniques is a (good) teacher or YouTube. Books are not so useful. Neither are teachers that do not have the ability to gauge where you are, your personal objectives, and then chart a systematic path customized to you. There are teachers with whom lessons are laissez faire chit chat sessions.

That’s about all I can conjure. I am not a good player mind you, just an okay one, so take my advice with a pinch of salt. I just play well enough to record my own songs and that’s my objective all along.

Thanks... I think my problem is that I started off backwards. My very first instructor told me on day 1, ‘your vibrato is awesome, where’d you learn that?’ and ‘you already know where to stop a bend at’. I was like ‘I don’t even know what you are talking about’.

My ear might be decent but I don’t really know.

Here’s how a typical lesson went with my second instructor:

Them: this is how to play this part...
Me: oh I’ve heard that song!
Them: cool...
Me: umm that wasn’t right... the note in the song sounds like it’s played on the A string
Them: nope, this is right, this is how I learned it... follow along
Me: can we listen to the recording just to make sure?
Them: Fine.
Me: see
Them: hmmmm. Yeah it’s on the A string.

Thanks... I think my problem is that I started off backwards. My very first instructor told me on day 1, ‘your vibrato is awesome, where’d you learn that?’ and ‘you already know where to stop a bend at’. I was like ‘I don’t even know what you are talking about’.

My ear might be decent but I don’t really know.

Here’s how a typical lesson went with my second instructor:

Them: this is how to play this part...
Me: oh I’ve heard that song!
Them: cool...
Me: umm that wasn’t right... the note in the song sounds like it’s played on the A string
Them: nope, this is right, this is how I learned it... follow along
Me: can we listen to the recording just to make sure?
Them: Fine.
Me: see
Them: hmmmm. Yeah it’s on the A string.
That is interesting. You have a natural flair/talent, and it might actually be getting in the way of some traditional learning methods.

At this stage, perhaps poking around on YouTube until you find someone who you seem to grok might be the best approach, along with learning some of the theory and after nailing the minor pentatonic then expanding on your "Blues Boxes" to the Major Pentatonic, etc.

And probably the best for you, based on what you said above: play along with CDs of stuff you like. If you have that natural ear/feel, you'll learn very quickly, I suspect. Especially once you can get the feel for Minor vs Major scales, etc, and know where to "start".

This. Or at least, the parts of This that make sense to the individual.

I took guitar lessons when I started out. I will preface that within about three years, I realized my small-ish hands with thick fingers were not going to be as "nimble" as the typical shredders of the mid-80s were - but I didn't understand that right away. My teacher was a hair-band shredder - a darned good one! But I couldn't learn from him, because he was trying to teach me to play the way he played. Similarly, I cannot learn any John Mayer songs where he does his nice complex stretchy chords - my hand simply cannot reach that many frets.

Now, since this was the days before Youtube, I instead bought guitar magazines with song transcriptions of songs I could learn and actually play (Guitar for the Practicing Musician, mainly), listened to and played along with LPs, tapes, and eventually CDs when they came out, and jammed with others when I finally felt brave enough.

If you, I mean your friend, can find someone who matches close enough on physical capabilities (i.e. not John Mayer teaching me "Neon", for example), then I think that will be an awesome one-on-one lesson experience.

Yeah, you are right... I am going to be on the lookout for a good instructor and in the meantime, while in winter hibernation, I’m gonna dig out my scales paperwork and start learning them again.

That is interesting. You have a natural flair/talent, and it might actually be getting in the way of some traditional learning methods.

At this stage, perhaps poking around on YouTube until you find someone who you seem to grok might be the best approach, along with learning some of the theory and after nailing the minor pentatonic then expanding on your "Blues Boxes" to the Major Pentatonic, etc.

And probably the best for you, based on what you said above: play along with CDs of stuff you like. If you have that natural ear/feel, you'll learn very quickly, I suspect. Especially once you can get the feel for Minor vs Major scales, etc, and know where to "start".

Yeah but I think not learning via traditional methods is stunting me. I’m sure the scales will help because then I will be able to move around more.

Exactly. Not knowing where the pattern starts, stops/restarts gets me all caught up and in trouble.

Artistworks has Keith Wyatt as an instructor in case you are interested. I started his blues course recently and he is a pretty good instructor. Refer to this link - https://artistworks.com/keith-wyatt

He also does a blues guitar certificate. I am not sure exactly how that fits in with his regular course, but t does not start at the absolute beginner level. Refer to this link - https://artistworks.com/online-music-certificate/blues-guitar

Let me second Artistworks. I've been doing the Paul Gilbert Rock Guitar school for a few years - excellent stuff! You go at your own pace, you can ask specific questions, etc. And most importantly, you can see everyone else else's "video exchange" and Paul's reply to them. In this particular school, almost 7,000 lessons to look at. It helps that Gilbert is very entertaining as well as a great teacher. BTW, Gilbert often does lessons on blues technique as well - he loves Gary Moore!

I can't speak for the "Blues" school, but I would assume the same high quality is there. I found this significantly better than one on one lessons.

If I had to name some specific things to do....

Buy the book by Rick Beato - try and get through it, understand it, apply it
Get a local teacher that can do lessons face-to-face, make sure they can understand your wants, have a plan to deliver, and are helping you move towards those goals
Buy a subscription to TrueFire so you can learn some stuff on your own

Casi... think about what you first said. You want to play the Blues? Name a real Blues Guy that started by playing scales. Ain't no life in playin scales. You want to learn the blues you gotta pull the Blues out of your soul. Teach your ear to hear and your fingers to match what your ears tell you. You won't do it the way BB or Muddy did. You will do it your way, but that's the way your soul hears it and that's the way it will feel right. Blues ain't a technique, it's a feelin...

Back