I have a friend who has a bunch of guitars...

Casi1

... but can’t play very well. Friend wants to learn to play the blues. Friend says their goal is to be able to improvise songs and play for fun.

Which of the following options do you recommend for me... ooops... I mean, my friend:

1. YouTube lessons & practice
2. One on one lessons & practice
3. Buy a beginner blues book & practice
4. Focus on specific song & practice
5. Learn scales (which ones? ALL of them?) & practice

:oops:

The bright side is that I have some really nice guitars to practice on.

Lessons never worked for me. I listened to songs and imitated until I could do it. That said, I don’t know music theory like I should. I’m not as good as I could be. But, I have fun and have a pretty good ear. YouTube helped me a lot learning drums because I didn’t want to take lessons. I wanted the shortcut on drums. I don’t have time anymore to learn them properly.

I vote for #2 in conjunction with #1. A bit of face to face interaction can be very valuable in not forming bad habits or tightening up skills. Youtube videos are also good, but they can't serve as a holistic source of learning.

Ummm... can we be a wee bit more specific, lol.

Ranking of options? How about which one is the most important one?

:D

You have to do all that sh!t, Casi.

The one on one lessons will keep you honest and accountable, the YouTube stuff is a great place to get a quick fix for a tune or a part you can’t figure out, the book will be there for power outages and family vacations, geeking out on a specific tune will give you a deeper insight to how songs are created and teach you the discipline of what it takes to play a whole song instead of just parts, and... scales and modes are what you’re gonna have to learn in order to string all those little licks into a cohesive solo.

I mean, you gotta do ‘em all, and you have to want to do it all. I’ll even add that you should join or start a band to your list.

In order of importance since you asked, I’d sign up with a teacher, and then at least work on nailing the natural major and minor scales. It’s important to imprint those patterns into your brain until you don’t think about them anymore, then you can work on the other scales and modes.

I think an important question is how does your friend learn best? Reading? Visual? Hands on?

A really useful book I bought years ago was the Guitar Grimoire. You can learn patterns for different scales but also take the time to listen to what makes each one different. That way you can start to listen for the little nuances in your favorite songs to pick out pieces or add some flair when you are practicing.

The book reads like stereo instructions but there’s a ton of great info in it.

I love the blues. Some people like to trash it, but it's my favorite music to play because of the laid back and free nature of it.

Books and instruction are never a bad idea. However, to me, the biggest part of nailing blues is the feel. The best way to learn that is to listen to the masters, jam along, and glean everything you can from them. You can learn all the scales, chords, and songs in the world, but that won't take the place of getting the feel.

Definitely learn the minor pentatonic blues box scales to get started. Later you can work on expanding that to major pentatonic, or adding the major third into the minor pentatonic. The great thing about blues is you can play entire solos just in the main blues box. And you don't even need transitions from one position to the next at first. You can play a phrase in one box, pause for a sec and play something in the next box.

So, yeah, 1-5. The only distinction I'd make is to not get too caught up in formal training and technique, at least at first. When you're ready to go into Robben Ford or Joe Bonamassa territory, you can start getting more technical.

... but can’t play very well. Friend wants to learn to play the blues. Friend says their goal is to be able to improvise songs and play for fun.

Which of the following options do you recommend for me... ooops... I mean, my friend:

1. YouTube lessons & practice
2. One on one lessons & practice
3. Buy a beginner blues book & practice
4. Focus on specific song & practice
5. Learn scales (which ones? ALL of them?) & practice

:oops:

The bright side is that I have some really nice guitars to practice on.

Take this for what it is YRMV.. I too have been stumbling around the blues guitar thing for the last 8-9 months and counting. If I had access to a decent instructor it would have given me a better foundation or at least would have streamlined the process for me.

I started picking up any blues licks I could find, started practicing them and the old, more simple licks of John Lee Hooker, Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters and the like. Then, I started playing along with backing tracks as well as any blusey stuff that I've listened to for years.
Lastly I practice the typical 12 bar blues and the typical "blues boxes" every day without exception. That's really about it... and it's surprisingly been a great way for me to learn but again..YRMV.

I know this probably isn't terribly helpful...but to me...playing blues is about feeling and I don't want to apply a ton of theoretical knowledge into it and make it sound pre-fabricated or mechanical. improvising is the best part of blues guitar imho...as long as you "stay in your lane" and don't harm any animals in the process, you are free to do as you please. Stay loose and let her rip!

Pic for full disclosure purposes.
eapcyIt.jpg

Last edited:
You have to do all that sh!t, Casi.

The one on one lessons will keep you honest and accountable, the YouTube stuff is a great place to get a quick fix for a tune or a part you can’t figure out, the book will be there for power outages and family vacations, geeking out on a specific tune will give you a deeper insight to how songs are created and teach you the discipline of what it takes to play a whole song instead of just parts, and... scales and modes are what you’re gonna have to learn in order to string all those little licks into a cohesive solo.

I mean, you gotta do ‘em all, and you have to want to do it all. I’ll even add that you should join or start a band to your list.

In order of importance since you asked, I’d sign up with a teacher, and then at least work on nailing the natural major and minor scales. It’s important to imprint those patterns into your brain until you don’t think about them anymore, then you can work on the other scales and modes.

All of it? Join a band? And work full-time too?

:confused:

Okay. I can do baby steps and pick up where I left off with minor pentatonic. I can do that.

I think my problem is that I’m doing too much. Did 4 months of basic one on one lessons, going through blues book. Took a break. Then recently did 4 months of song specific one on one lessons. Now on break again (I hibernate during winters). In the meantime between time, I check YouTube for lessons. But still don’t know my scales.

I will start working on scales. Thanks!

I love the blues. Some people like to trash it, but it's my favorite music to play because of the laid back and free nature of it.

Books and instruction are never a bad idea. However, to me, the biggest part of nailing blues is the feel. The best way to learn that is to listen to the masters, jam along, and glean everything you can from them. You can learn all the scales, chords, and songs in the world, but that won't take the place of getting the feel.

Definitely learn the minor pentatonic blues box scales to get started. Later you can work on expanding that to major pentatonic, or adding the major third into the minor pentatonic. The great thing about blues is you can play entire solos just in the main blues box. And you don't even need transitions from one position to the next at first. You can play a phrase in one box, pause for a sec and play something in the next box.

So, yeah, 1-5. The only distinction I'd make is to not get too caught up in formal training and technique, at least at first. When you're ready to go into Robben Ford or Joe Bonamassa territory, you can start getting more technical.

Cool. Minor Pentatonic Blues first. Got it!

Take this for what it is YRMV.. I too have been stumbling around the blues guitar thing for the last 8-9 months and counting. If I had access to a decent instructor it would have given me a better foundation or at least would have streamlined the process for me.

I started picking up any blues licks I could find, started practicing them and the old, more simple licks of John Lee Hooker, Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters and the like. Then, I started playing along with backing tracks as well as any blusey stuff that I've listened to for years.
Lastly I practice the typical 12 bar blues and the typical "blues boxes" every day without exception. That's really about it... and it's surprisingly been a great way for me to learn but again..YRMV.

I know this probably isn't terribly helpful...but to me...playing blues is about feeling and I don't want to apply a ton of theoretical knowledge into it and make it sound pre-fabricated or mechanical. improvising is the best part of blues guitar imho...as long as you "stay in your lane" and don't harm any animals in the process, you are free to do as you please. Stay loose and let her rip!

Pic for full disclosure purposes.
eapcyIt.jpg

That other dog in the photo is like ‘you sound like crap... but I’m just gonna sit here and smile at you’

Yeah, what you described is what I love about the blues. I started out listening to B.B... and just yesterday started googling tabs. The B.B. box ‘seems’ so simple.

I think an important question is how does your friend learn best? Reading? Visual? Hands on?

A really useful book I bought years ago was the Guitar Grimoire. You can learn patterns for different scales but also take the time to listen to what makes each one different. That way you can start to listen for the little nuances in your favorite songs to pick out pieces or add some flair when you are practicing.

The book reads like stereo instructions but there’s a ton of great info in it.

Thanks I will check that book out. I am more of a visual learner but when I get stuck on something then that’s when I need an instructor. Without the instructor, I stay stuck.

The most progress I made is when I was taking lessons - with the right instructor. The first instructor was actually one of the joint owners of the music studio. Meh, ok. He was on vacation and another guy filled in. Bam, I knew immediately he taught the way I learned. So I asked to switch to him. First guy was a little miffed, but it’s my time and my dime.

We would go for a handful of weeks on theory, then switch to playing technique for a while, and mix in learning songs as the practical application of the topics covered. A very productive 8 months or so. When I’m able to, I’d love to start up again.

The thing that one-on-one lessons provide that nothing else does is this: you can ask a question and get an answer, right then. Need something clarified? It’s gets clarified. Doing something wrong and don’t realize it? You find that out quickly, too.

All the other things can build on this.

Back