I finally got Blue back!!!

cjmwrx

Wheels
A short story to start it all off.

Back in late September my rhythm guitarist for my FF cover band showed up to practice with a lightly beat up 93 Les Paul Custom (Gibson) that the neck had almost been completely broken out of the pocket. It could still be strung and played, but it was in bad shape. His story was he received the guitar as a loaner from a friend who got it from his uncle when he passed away. Seemed to me to be a believable enough story, so I offered to fix the guitar. A little titebond and some clamps later, and it was solid and setup great. I told him to offer a good price and try and buy it.

A few days later, it gets interesting. He comes back and tells me his friend can't sell it to him because he stole it. From Bobby Ingram, at a Molly Hatchet concert @ Chiggerfest (Central Illinois yearly deal). WTF?! The neck got broken after the little f#$% rolled down a hill running away from the stage with it.
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/loca...cle_65b91286-2a3e-11e3-a0a0-001a4bcf887a.html

So this puts me in a really bad situation. This is a Felony 2 in Illinois. I told him he had two options. 1. Contact Molly Hatchet's management and attempt to return the guitar. 2. Contact the Sheriff's office and turn the guitar and his friend in. No attempt to return the stolen item in Il = Theft. If he didn't he was just as liable. But, then, he does the dumbest thing I can think of. He gives it to another friend who promptly starts playing it live at shows. So, I call the police and turn them all in. I am not risking getting caught up in that. I have a career and a life I have worked very hard to build. I get a call from Bobby Ingram thanking me up and down for doing the right thing and getting his guitar returned (he does have it back in his possession, I have seen recent photos on his FB feed of him playing it). Never the less, I am forced to Lawyer up (@2K$, cause you just can't trust the police these days). My guitarist gets arrested and they pull me in for questioning. In order to pay for my lawyer, I had to sell my favorite guitar. A 2003 PRS Cu22 10top Whale Blue. I did not get in any trouble over the deal, but my guitarist (who is no longer my friend) and his buddy both get charged with Felony 2 theft. And convicted.

Well, today, I got my baby back! Picked it up this evening. Below is an older photo of it (photobucket account locked, new photo coming soon). I am so f'ing happy. I was so angry the day I sold it, and have been seething on it since. Would I do it again in the future, yes in a heartbeat. I was raised by a former Marine Drill Instructor and Boy Scout that taught me to always do the right thing, no matter what. This is also the reason I have not been on the board for a while. The last 5-6 months have been pretty out of hand. But, it seems as though things are finally calming down now. The whole ordeal also got me to move back home to Chitown, which turned out pretty well too.

EFFAED9B-6EBF-472B-A90D-5496C07D0BF3-13198-00000FE67AAA9CD7_zpsec79b15d.jpg

Last edited:
Good for you for doing the right thing

:top: :top: :top:

... and a very beautiful guitar has returned to a proud owner!

Beautiful guitar. If I were you, my face would really turn Whale Blue if I had to sell it just to fund lawyer fees. :laugh: But it's good that you got it back in your lap and all is well.

This thread just made my day!!!! Good on you and best of luck back in Chi-town (it ain't New York!!!!):congrats:

That's an awesome story, or maybe I should say a good ending to a bad situation. Really too bad you had to get a lawyer, props to you for doing the right thing, not only turning your "friend" in but also doing it despite losing one of your own guitars. It always irks me to hear people who have that friend or family member who is clearly in the wrong, yet they don't want to turn them in because they feel like they owe that person loyalty. I think you lost a friend not worth having! People that steal instruments are such scum.

Beauty of a guitar as well! Congrats on having it back.

Sometimes the right thing to do is difficult, as you discovered when you had to sell your prized guitar to protect yourself from the misdeeds of others. Kudos to you for standing up and doing the right thing! I wonder if you can take the thieves to small claims court (no lawyer needed) for reimbursement of your legal fees and the repurchase of your guitar?

Congrats on getting your PRS back. She's a BEAUTY!

So, I call the police and turn them all in. I am not risking getting caught up in that. I have a career and a life I have worked very hard to build. I get a call from Bobby Ingram thanking me up and down for doing the right thing and getting his guitar returned (he does have it back in his possession, I have seen recent photos on his FB feed of him playing it). Never the less, I am forced to Lawyer up (@2K$, cause you just can't trust the police these days). My guitarist gets arrested and they pull me in for questioning. In order to pay for my lawyer, I had to sell my favorite guitar.

Dude. You are my hero. You didn't just do the right thing, but you did it at a significant personal cost. Granted, the alternative could have been worse, but you took the hit because you did the right thing, and that makes you a seriously great guy in my book.

So glad to hear you got your best girl back. Any more details on how that happened?

Congrats!!! I would have been more bummed about losing the guitar forever than losing a "friend" like that...glad you are reunited!

Thanks everyone. It wasn't easy to deal with the ramifications, but I knew the cost. I was more concerned about how I would feel if someone stole one of my guitars, and am a big believer in Karma.

Updated pic with my ES339. I took the rosewood pickup rings off, weren't really working for me anymore.
DF1AB2D4-C762-429B-A14A-CC4F6EC5D6B9_zpsbtvrjsa2.jpg

Back