I did a thing- PRS Starla SE, and I have questions

mojo1fan

So, for the longest time I've wanted to get a Starla SE and either add a middle single coil pickup, or possibly get a custom pickguard made to use three single coils. I found a Starla husk on Stratosphere's eBay page not too long ago. Well today they sent me an offer to sell it with a discount, so I couldn't resist. So the husk will be here in a few days. My questions are-

Bridge and tailpiece- I'd assume they're metric? Looking at pictures of new Starlas, it appears they're using bridge posts similar to the conversion adaptors for a Nashville/ABR style bridge. Don't want to spend a boatload of money to begin. Stratosphere of course has them (probably off this very guitar).

Tuners- I'll figure it out. I think I have some laying around that would work.

Pickguard- I've found regular Starla pickguards online, but who is doing custom pickguards these days? It appears that some of the "usual" sources are not doing custom guards at this time. Wondering if it might be better to have my luthier buddy just router out a regular pickguard for a middle single coil pickup (as you can see I need the body routed either way).

WRT the pickup configuration I'll likely be going with EMGs, so I'm thinking a set of coil-splittable 89s with an S middle pickup, coupled with push-pull pots for the 89s, would be very versatile. That's assuming I can't find a source to make a custom guard w/ three single coils. If I can get a custom guard w/three single coils I'd likely be using the EMG SA set. So it just all depends on the availability of a custom pickguard.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
So, for the longest time I've wanted to get a Starla SE and either add a middle single coil pickup, or possibly get a custom pickguard made to use three single coils. I found a Starla husk on Stratosphere's eBay page not too long ago. Well today they sent me an offer to sell it with a discount, so I couldn't resist. So the husk will be here in a few days. My questions are-

Bridge and tailpiece- I'd assume they're metric? Looking at pictures of new Starlas, it appears they're using bridge posts similar to the conversion adaptors for a Nashville/ABR style bridge. Don't want to spend a boatload of money to begin. Stratosphere of course has them (probably off this very guitar).

Tuners- I'll figure it out. I think I have some laying around that would work.

Pickguard- I've found regular Starla pickguards online, but who is doing custom pickguards these days? It appears that some of the "usual" sources are not doing custom guards at this time. Wondering if it might be better to have my luthier buddy just router out a regular pickguard for a middle single coil pickup (as you can see I need the body routed either way).

WRT the pickup configuration I'll likely be going with EMGs, so I'm thinking a set of coil-splittable 89s with an S middle pickup, coupled with push-pull pots for the 89s, would be very versatile. That's assuming I can't find a source to make a custom guard w/ three single coils. If I can get a custom guard w/three single coils I'd likely be using the EMG SA set. So it just all depends on the availability of a custom pickguard.

s-l1600.jpg
I'd try for a bigsby - but that's just me...sorry I can't speak as to whether they are metric.

I was going to suggest PickguardPlanet - but I assume they were one of the "usual" that you checked with? I know some guys also cut their own - not sure how handy you are...but I also image that's harder without a template.

The EMG splittables are nice - I had a pair in an old Ernie Ball Axis. I would suggest mini toggles (since you're customizing the pickguard) like the 408, etc as opposed to push/pulls - but again I understand that is a highly subjective opinion. I just know the push pull on my Swamp Ash drives me crazy in a live setting.

Looking forward to following along with your progress on this project...keep us posted!

First stumbling block- I ordered an ABR bridge that comes with M4 studs. Sadly, discovered that the Starlas apparently use a bridge with M5 studs. So the correct one is on the way.

Also thought I had a set of Grover Mini Rotomatics that would work out, but discovered that the ones I have are 6 on a side. Found some replacements and have them ordered as well.

Finally, found a custom pickguard maker to do an SSS pickguard, for the tidy sum of $160.00 plus shipping. Oof. So I've got my luthier friend routing a Strat pup hole into my existing pickguard. I've got a set of Fishman Fluence Classics laying around (three voice version) so I'll probably use them and order a Fishman single coil for my middle pup.

Last edited:
Cool project... I've found the the funner projects are when you just 'wing it'; vs meticulously planned.
I have some SE take-off tuners; yours if you want them.

So I finally got the project up and running. I wound up going HSS with an EMG 89/SA/SA set. Had a heck of a time fitting everything into the Starla control cavity. In fact, I had to hack out a new slot for the 5-way switch for it to fit (as seen in the photo). Because of that, and the fact that I went with a single coil neck pickup., I'll definitely have to get a custom pickguard made at some point. No big deal.

As for the finished product it sounds good overall. Very little quack in the 2 and 4 positions. I'd love to flip the leads on the middle pup to see what happens but that's easier said than done with EMGs. You have to buy a little phase reversal switch module that retails for $79 to do that. I'll play with pickup heights to see if the quackiness improves in the 2-4 positions.

432998721_10234259541055039_119452697937145606_n.jpg

Note the orientation of the pickups. Since the pre-packaged set I bought from EMG came with a regular 89 humbucker as opposed to the 89R, I had to install it backwards to get the split-coil away from the bridge. I've found with the split coil next to the bridge it's way too bright and thin sounding. Unfortunately they wouldn't let me substitue an 89R in the pre-packaged set. No big deal, as the logos being "upside down" have never bothered me.

Here's a mockup of what it will eventually look like

432773180_10234259610256769_1942479448658434184_n.jpg

UPDATE: I finally got this finished. Ran into many roadblocks on the way. Thought I had suitable tuners but they did not work. Also thought I had a bridge and tailpiece but those did not work out either. As for pickups, I wound up going with an EMG HA in the neck, which is their SA single coil in a humbucker package. So I was able to use a regular pickguard with a middle single coil slot routed by a luthier, saving me money on having to order a custom pickguard.

So the pup configuration is 89/SA/HA. Default position for the 89 is single coil mode, with the push/pull tone pot activating humbucker mode.

Positions 1-3-5 all sound good, unfortunately there isn't much quack in the 2-4 positions so far. Pickup height adjustments on the way.

index.php

index.php

UPDATE: I finally got this finished. Ran into many roadblocks on the way. Thought I had suitable tuners but they did not work. Also thought I had a bridge and tailpiece but those did not work out either. As for pickups, I wound up going with an EMG HA in the neck, which is their SA single coil in a humbucker package. So I was able to use a regular pickguard with a middle single coil slot routed by a luthier, saving me money on having to order a custom pickguard.

So the pup configuration is 89/SA/HA. Default position for the 89 is single coil mode, with the push/pull tone pot activating humbucker mode.

Positions 1-3-5 all sound good, unfortunately there isn't much quack in the 2-4 positions so far. Pickup height adjustments on the way.

index.php

index.php
Nice!

Back