I Am A Patient Man, But...

I'm fighting the fight to NOT become full fledged diabetic. I've probably already lost but I can't admit it to myself, so onward I trudge.

That's how I did it! Family history, so the doc was monitoring, but one year, the bloodwork was sky high - high enough that my doc said some doctors would have put me in the hospital immediately, but he didn't think it was necessary. Worst part - zero symptoms. Felt absolutely fine.
I have diabetes on both sides of my family. Both of my parents had it to the point that they were on twice a day insulin shots, self administered. I an not a fan of needles so I never wanted that to happen to me. Fast forward. I let my weight get way out of control and my blood sugar and A1C started climbing. I was a very small step away from the diagnosis of prediabetic. My doctor told me that I really needed to correct this, especially since once you get this diagnosis your insurance company starts looking at you differently. I put myself on a low carb diet and cut sugar out of my life. I lost a good bit of weight and now my A1C is solidly in the middle of the normal range. My doctor was amazed at how I was able to get this down. I have had times where I let more simple carbs back into my life and things started going up. I know that I will be on a low carb diet for the rest of my life now. I can't eat things like regular bread, rice, pasta, sugar, etc.. I have been off of these things long enough now that most of them don't really taste good to me anymore or they make me feel bloated so that helps stay away from them. I highly recommend tring removing simple carbs from your diet. Get the bulk of your carbs from high fiber vegetables.

I have diabetes on both sides of my family. Both of my parents had it to the point that they were on twice a day insulin shots, self administered. I an not a fan of needles so I never wanted that to happen to me. Fast forward. I let my weight get way out of control and my blood sugar and A1C started climbing. I was a very small step away from the diagnosis of prediabetic. My doctor told me that I really needed to correct this, especially since once you get this diagnosis your insurance company starts looking at you differently. I put myself on a low carb diet and cut sugar out of my life. I lost a good bit of weight and now my A1C is solidly in the middle of the normal range. My doctor was amazed at how I was able to get this down. I have had times where I let more simple carbs back into my life and things started going up. I know that I will be on a low carb diet for the rest of my life now. I can't eat things like regular bread, rice, pasta, sugar, etc.. I have been off of these things long enough now that most of them don't really taste good to me anymore or they make me feel bloated so that helps stay away from them. I highly recommend tring removing simple carbs from your diet. Get the bulk of your carbs from high fiber vegetables.

I've gone low carb and no sugary candy. I've been counting calories and so far I'm down about 30 lbs. I still have at least another 30 lbs to go. It seems a long way off but I'm pretty sure it's doable. But it is possible I'm doing this all a little late to save my pancreas. Time will tell.

I've gone low carb and no sugary candy. I've been counting calories and so far I'm down about 30 lbs. I still have at least another 30 lbs to go. It seems a long way off but I'm pretty sure it's doable. But it is possible I'm doing this all a little late to save my pancreas. Time will tell.
Keep up the good work. If things are not failing, it isn't too late. You will benefit from what you are doing. You are slowing, and hopefully stopping, the damaging process that has been going on.

Unfortunately (for me but not for you) I've got plenty of experience with diabetes. I've done a lot of research and learned some stuff I feel I ought to share.

For many people, it's impossible to avoid diabetes because there's often a significant genetic component. Perhaps it can be delayed with diet and exercise - no one's 100% sure.

I was a runner, ate well, and was fine until I was 50. Despite my activity and being in pretty good shape, I was hit hard. It happens, and I don't bemoan my fate. But there are steps you can take if you have this disease.

As my doctor says, it might just be the genes and luck of the draw, but here are some things for people with diabetes to think about:

There are fewer complications if diabetes is properly managed. Testing blood sugar is useless if you're not testing frequently enough - and 'frequently enough' means in the morning, at night and before every meal. Anything less, you're kidding yourself.

Since it was FDA-approved I've used a continuous glucose monitor called FreeStyle Libre. There is another one by another good company that was approved that's also terrific. If these had been on the market before 3-4 years ago or whenever it was, I'd have been a healthier, happier, camper.

No finger sticks! My phone has an app that reads the monitor. I know where my blood sugar is 24/7, and my A1C has been in the target range for a long time (though I tested with finger sticks constantly for years).

Having a good endocrinologist is important. Many GPs will try to handle diabetes, but few are up on the latest treatment for the disease. Make sure your doc is.

Here's why testing and knowing your glucose levels at all times is important:

Excess blood glucose acts like little hard crystals that abrade and irritate the linings of the arteries. When the linings are irritated, they attract sticky plaque that lines the microscopic irritated walls. Build up the plaque, and you have heart disease.

Blood glucose also irritates the tiny arterioles in your kidneys, eyes, and other organs. So diabetics have issues with kidney failure (my dad died of it), eye problems, problems with neuropathy and their feet. Know your glucose, stay in control to minimize the problems.

One thing to know: insulin needles have become so small that you can hardly even feel them. Insulin is often the best choice for diabetics for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that in many people, the pills stop working after a while. I take a shot of short acting insulin with every meal or snack, and also take long acting insulin before bed every night.

Sure, it's a small PITA, but the alternative is worse.

I've had the heart complications, and am well aware of the issues we face. Be careful, fellow diabetics - monitor your condition closely and minimize the problems.

Unfortunately (for me but not for you) I've got plenty of experience with diabetes. I've done a lot of research and learned some stuff I feel I ought to share.

For many people, it's impossible to avoid diabetes because there's often a significant genetic component. Perhaps it can be delayed with diet and exercise - no one's 100% sure.

I was a runner, ate well, and was fine until I was 50. Despite my activity and being in pretty good shape, I was hit hard. It happens, and I don't bemoan my fate. But there are steps you can take if you have this disease.

As my doctor says, it might just be the genes and luck of the draw, but here are some things for people with diabetes to think about:

There are fewer complications if diabetes is properly managed. Testing blood sugar is useless if you're not testing frequently enough - and 'frequently enough' means in the morning, at night and before every meal. Anything less, you're kidding yourself.

Since it was FDA-approved I've used a continuous glucose monitor called FreeStyle Libre. There is another one by another good company that was approved that's also terrific. If these had been on the market before 3-4 years ago or whenever it was, I'd have been a healthier, happier, camper.

No finger sticks! My phone has an app that reads the monitor. I know where my blood sugar is 24/7, and my A1C has been in the target range for a long time (though I tested with finger sticks constantly for years).

Having a good endocrinologist is important. Many GPs will try to handle diabetes, but few are up on the latest treatment for the disease. Make sure your doc is.

Here's why testing and knowing your glucose levels at all times is important:

Excess blood glucose acts like little hard crystals that abrade and irritate the linings of the arteries. When the linings are irritated, they attract sticky plaque that lines the microscopic irritated walls. Build up the plaque, and you have heart disease.

Blood glucose also irritates the tiny arterioles in your kidneys, eyes, and other organs. So diabetics have issues with kidney failure (my dad died of it), eye problems, problems with neuropathy and their feet. Know your glucose, stay in control to minimize the problems.

One thing to know: insulin needles have become so small that you can hardly even feel them. Insulin is often the best choice for diabetics for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that in many people, the pills stop working after a while. I take a shot of short acting insulin with every meal or snack, and also take long acting insulin before bed every night.

Sure, it's a small PITA, but the alternative is worse.

I've had the heart complications, and am well aware of the issues we face. Be careful, fellow diabetics - monitor your condition closely and minimize the problems.
Huge +1 on the FreeStyle Libre BGM.
Total game changer for me. Helped lower my a1c and glucose numbers by being able to check as many times a day that I like.

I know a guy that has been wearing an insulin pump for years. It gives him metered doses throughout the day. It was a life changer for him. He was having issues passing out and really endangered the lives of his kids once before he got the pump. I am very thankful that I have been able to keep myself under control. I know I still may end up on insulin at some point but I am going to do everything I can naturally to push that out as far as I can. I think the answer is a little different for everyone. You have to find what your body likes and doesn't like. I did what the doctors were telling me but was still right at that prediabetic level. I then decided to try low carb and lose some weight. My body has responded well to both. I know now that my body is sensitive to carbs so I have to watch those.

@LSchefman I had no idea that you had been through all of that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. I have my blood sugar under control for the most part now but sill have issues with blood pressure. I had increased cholesterol this month when I had my blood tested. That means it is time to get back in a gym and see if I can fix that. If not, I will be going back on the statin that I worked my self off of a year and a half ago.

Well Great Guns Of Navarrone!!! The Horsemeat finally clip-clopped all the way to my house. After leaving SW, it was looking good for the 24th, a nice Christmas Eve gift, yet it somehow veered to COLORADO of all places (you'd have to ask FedEx), and today it finally was tied to my hitching post when I returned from some errands. Sadly, NOT the size bag 'o' candy I expected considering I ordered it in October under the pretense they had them in stock. Oh well, we don't gig until Jan. 6th. That will give me time to dial it.
a67NuJA.jpg

Well Great Guns Of Navarrone!!! The Horsemeat finally clip-clopped all the way to my house. After leaving SW, it was looking good for the 24th, a nice Christmas Eve gift, yet it somehow veered to COLORADO of all places (you'd have to ask FedEx), and today it finally was tied to my hitching post when I returned from some errands. Sadly, NOT the size bag 'o' candy I expected considering I ordered it in October under the pretense they had them in stock. Oh well, we don't gig until Jan. 6th. That will give me time to dial it.
a67NuJA.jpg
Great movie!

a67NuJA.jpg
So how's it sound?

@LSchefman I had no idea that you had been through all of that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. I have my blood sugar under control for the most part now but sill have issues with blood pressure. I had increased cholesterol this month when I had my blood tested. That means it is time to get back in a gym and see if I can fix that. If not, I will be going back on the statin that I worked my self off of a year and a half ago.
Sounds to me like you're doing fine if your glucose is under control. B/P is also important.

As for what I've been through...well...attitude is everything, and I'm not ashamed of the heart surgery, etc. I'm that guy who thinks positively.

I like sharing what I've learned!

Sounds to me like you're doing fine if your glucose is under control. B/P is also important.

As for what I've been through...well...attitude is everything, and I'm not ashamed of the heart surgery, etc. I'm that guy who thinks positively.

I like sharing what I've learned!
I agree 100% that attitude is everything. I have seen people basically cause themselves to die much sooner than they should have because they lost hope. I have also seen people that were given a very short time to live make it much longer than they were give because they were determined to live on. I also try to find the positives in all situations. I find it much better to focus on the positive things. You typically can't do anything to influence the negative things anyway so why dwell on them?

a67NuJA.jpg
That's awesome! I don't know what it is about FedEx. I had a pedal shipped to me from Tucson (I'm in Phoenix) and it went by way of Chicago...Enjoy the pedal!

Back