Confidentially, I Pulled A Few Strings...

Funny thing is, I was looking for a slightly different sound and all I did was change to one of my other picks... poof there it was.

“What does it mean?”

”Les sleeps with the fishes…”

Fish-Guitar-For-Slideshow.jpg
I need to adjust my Cod piece.

Funny thing is, I was looking for a slightly different sound and all I did was change to one of my other picks... poof there it was.
I've had that happen. I've got a variety of them - I like experimenting with picks - but find I can't really get happy unless I'm using Blue Chip picks, which are apparently brought down from Mount Olympus, dusted with magic particles, and blessed by a voodoo shaman, which is why they cost so much.

I've had that happen. I've got a variety of them - I like experimenting with picks - but find I can't really get happy unless I'm using Blue Chip picks, which are apparently brought down from Mount Olympus, dusted with magic particles, and blessed by a voodoo shaman, which is why they cost so much.
Kind of like my v-picks which are my favorite, then the petrucci dunlops.

Kind of like my v-picks which are my favorite, then the petrucci dunlops.
Both are nice picks.

I recently saw that D'Addario are making picks out of casein, which Red Bear picks are made from. Unfortunately, they only have two shapes and each shape has its own thickness, there isn't a lot of choice.

I do plan to investigate these picks at some point and report back!

Every damn time I want to investigate Red Bear picks, their web shop is either closed or they didn't make any of the sizes/thicknesses I'd be interested in.

I think they're dodging me. OK, I won't take it personally.

Yes, investigate! I'm the Hercule Poirot of picks! I do investigations! ;)

I recently saw that D'Addario are making picks out of casein, which Red Bear picks are made from. Unfortunately, they only have two shapes and each shape has its own thickness, there isn't a lot of choice.

I do plan to investigate these picks at some point.

Yes, investigate! I'm the Hercule Poirot of picks! I do investigations! ;)
I've seen and have a couple casein, but my fave is the V-Pick Dimension JR 3.0. I've heard of Red Bear picks and visited their site once.

I've seen and have a couple casein, but my fave is the V-Pick Dimension JR 3.0. I've heard of Red Bear picks and visited their site once.
So far, I like the tone I get using the Blue Chip picks, and they're indestructible. The ones I bought in 2014 are still like new. If there's any edge wear, which I doubt, you'd need an electron microscope to see it. They sound the way I remember real tortoise picks sounding. Which is great. This, of course, assumes that my memory of that is good, but heck, don't tell me it isn't if I don't know it's bad. Just allow me to be an old f#ck who thinks he knows whereof he speaketh.

The BCs also glide through the strings like they're greased.

I grant you, speed meant much more to me when my left hand actually had feeling in the fingers prior to 2016, and I could play reasonably well, but the feel is nice, and they sound great, so they're still fine for the melodic solos that are my trademark.

"Trademark? Les, no one's trying to do what you do, because you suck. You neither have, nor need, a trademark."

"Whaddaya mean, people pay me to do my thing and also, please STFU, I'm busy blabbing, OK?"

They also have BCs in multiple sizes, engrave them with my initials so I can say, "Aha! I caught you!" if someone steals my $40 pick, but I also get them that way so I can remember what my initials are. They also don't curl up in the wash like real tortoise or casein.

Speaking of casein picks, they're made outta milk. Moo! For some reason, I don't know why, I find that relatively icky.

The BCs are allegedly made out of some space age synthetic material that no one actually knows what it is, and is probably hand-delivered to the factory by aliens. OK, I lied when I said Mount Olympus. There's a factory.

"It's a machine shop, doofus."

"I did tell you to shut up, machine shop, factory, whatever, who cares. The manufacture them. Good enough for ya?"

"Nope. Nothing's good enough for me. Why, I'm a connoisseur...of Truth. Justice and the American Way!"

"That line's been more or less taken."

Last edited:
My dear friends, you might wonder if this thread has a purpose beyond mere humor. I'm wondering that myself....hmmm...

[insert clock ticking for about ten seconds]

OK then! After giving it a few seconds of thought, the thread originally had several purposes. In no particular order they are:

- To have a little fun on a day when there's a serious snowstorm and there's nothing much to do; and,

- To remind myself and others that sometimes a really simple, inexpensive, change can accommodate the tone needs of the moment; and,

- To create an irresistibly humorous/disgusting reference to one's yarbles; and.

- To add a concept from a movie that I actually saw in a real movie theater back in the day; and,

- To remind myself that the solution to a guitar tone issue isn't always 'Sell The Damn Thing'; and,

- To divert your attention to me, me, wonderful me! Though you might well feel differently about the 'wonderful' bit - and I don't blame you, because I'm sick of myself, too!

;)
Well done.

I'd say you earned an extra 1/2 martini, but unless your wife is going to shovel your sidewalk to the front porch then you need to be steady.

Well done.

I'd say you earned an extra 1/2 martini, but unless your wife is going to shovel your sidewalk to the front porch then you need to be steady.
When I had my heart attack, one of the nurses said to me, "There's a silver lining. They're going to tell you to never shovel snow again!"

I had to tell her that I never shoveled snow in the first place. A guy in a truck comes. After all, I'm civilized.

Don’t want to say this in public, so I’ll just put it here for just us. I have it on good authority that the voodoo shaman is someone we all know here. I can’t say his name under a strict non-disclosure agreement, but if I were you, I’d get the raw pick, and mail it to Sergio. When it comes back it will be the exact same chip but Sergio will do the blessing for a significant discount for his forum brothers. Since that is the biggest expense when buying these from Blue Chip, you end up with the same product but for the price of a regular pick.

Since that is the biggest expense when buying these from Blue Chip, you end up with the same product but for the price of a regular pick.
Impossible! Bargain hunting is contrary to one's sense of noblesse oblige.

Besides, the originator of the product deserves the sale according to the immutable rule of "He who smelt it dealt it."

"Les, 'he who smelt it dealt it' is the immutable rule of farts, not inventions."

"Am I not an old fart?"

"That's for sure."

"And is the rule all about giving credit where credit is due?"

"I suppose."

"Then of course you see how it all dovetails neatly together into one elegant little argument."

"You need a course in logic."

"Please do not spoil my fun. K?"

Last edited:
Every damn time I want to investigate Red Bear picks, their web shop is either closed or they didn't make any of the sizes/thicknesses I'd be interested in.

That's what happened to me. I bought one used from @jfb after he bought a variety to try and find what he liked. I really liked it, so I tried to pick up another one or two, but I had the same experience as you - either the store was empty or they didn't make the style I liked. Then they announced the Guthrie Govan signature pick, which was identical to the one I liked with the exception of grooves on one of the curved corners. So I basically camped out for the release, and when they came available, I bought two.

I've not yet tried a Blue Chip, but I'd like to one of these days.

Back