HX Stomp

BrianC

more toys than talent
Since PRS does not have a modeler -

I got an HX stomp recently and find it to be a great tool. The tone and feel is spot on and it is so convenient!

It is about the size of a larger pedal and I can now go to practice or jam at a friends house with just a gig bag.

I still took an amp and cab to my gig this past weekend but certainly could use it for a gig if needed.
  • amp breaks down
  • gig most likely to get rained out
  • audition
  • friend come over to play and I need one more amp

Aww, man, I wish I knew you had a gig.

But, yeah, I like having a little modeler/multi-fx thing for those reasons.

Good modelers are fun for the whole family... except for grumpy Uncle Les. :D "In my day, we didn't have the fancy computerized digital crap amplifiers. We had tube amps. And if a tube blew during a gig, we'd reach in with our bare hands and pull it out while it was still red hot, and it gave us third degree burns, and we LIKED IT!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Good modelers are fun for the whole family... except for grumpy Uncle Les. :D "In my day, we didn't have the fancy computerized digital crap amplifiers. We had tube amps. And if a tube blew during a gig, we'd reach in with our bare hands and pull it out while it was still red hot, and it gave us third degree burns, and we LIKED IT!"

Grumpy Uncle Les notes that it’s ironic that none of the big-talking modeler advocates this board accepted the challenge made weeks ago of matching the tone on that HXDA demo track with a modeler. No takers. Crickets.

Grumpy Uncle Les says that guitar amp model owners talk the talk, but can’t walk the walk; they know they can’t record a modeling track that stands up to A/B scrutiny with a real-deal amp. ;)

Grumpy Uncle Les’ first paying gig was in 1966, and he’s never had a tube blow on a gig or session (for him, sessions are gigs). He’s never burned his hand on a hot tube.

Moreover, Grumpy Uncle Les has never taken a spare tube (or spare amp) to a show or outside session! Because Grumpy Uncle Les is a wild and crazy guy who does not fear taking chances. One day that attitude will come back to bite Grumpy Uncle Les in the ass, but he’s on the home stretch now, and before too long it won’t matter.

Grumpy Uncle Les does use modelers, if bass amp models count. He uses a Universal Audio UAD model of the Ampeg B15N Portaflex bass amp on lots of projects, after first recording direct through an Avalon U5, Class A transistor direct box. ;)

Grumpy Uncle Les notes that it’s ironic that none of the big-talking modeler advocates this board accepted the challenge made weeks ago of matching the tone on that HXDA demo track with a modeler. No takers. Crickets.

Grumpy Uncle Les says that guitar amp model owners talk the talk, but can’t walk the walk; they know they can’t record a modeling track that stands up to A/B scrutiny with a real-deal amp. ;)

Grumpy Uncle Les’ first paying gig was in 1966, and he’s never had a tube blow on a gig or session (for him, sessions are gigs). He’s never burned his hand on a hot tube.

Moreover, Grumpy Uncle Les has never taken a spare tube (or spare amp) to a show or outside session! Because Grumpy Uncle Les is a wild and crazy guy who does not fear taking chances. One day that attitude will come back to bite Grumpy Uncle Les in the ass, but he’s on the home stretch now, and before too long it won’t matter.

Grumpy Uncle Les does use modelers, if bass amp models count. He uses a Universal Audio UAD model of the Ampeg B15N Portaflex bass amp on lots of projects, after first recording direct through an Avalon U5, Class A transistor direct box. ;)
I had a party gig 3 years ago and with about 40 mins/10 songs to go my H blew a power tube. No joy lemme tell ya. Totally limped through... barely.

It is about the size of a larger pedal and I can now go to practice or jam at a friends house with just a gig bag.

I still took an amp and cab to my gig this past weekend but certainly could use it for a gig if needed.

For more portability and better tone (subjective), also try an FRFR. I love my Headrush FRFR108! I tried the 112, but it was too big for me.

My issue with the first part is with the whole premise of this statement. Basically, "you can't duplicate my tone because your modeler isn't good enough." I could come up with tones on the Archon that you can't duplicate either. Is it because your HX/DA isn't good enough? Thing is, I can do the same with tones I record from the Atomic. And probably with my Micro Cube. :) Duplicating a tone is a multi faceted thing and YOU know this. Moving a mic 1/2" changes the tone of a mic'd amp as does rotating the mic a bit off axis. So if I nailed your tone with my modeler, you could move your mic very slightly and then say "ok now, duplicate it again" and I may not be able too because I don't have quite the right IR to match that mic/mic position/speaker setup. So, I disagree with the premise that nobody could duplicate your tone with a modeler because the modeler isn't good enough.

My issue with the second part is, guys do that very thing every single day. If Tim or Pete Thorn records a track, by the time is mixed, mastered and integrated into a song, it can be done well enough that it stands up to any scrutiny. They both have tons of killer amps and pro recording setups, but they could take a modeler and do a track that nobody could distinguish from one recorded with one of their amps. Tim and Pete have both said so in different videos! Do you disagree with this? Are you saying you can listen to any music now and pic out "real amp" vs. modeler on every part? Not when soloing tracks, but in a mix.. a real song???

In the room, sitting in front of a real cab vs. an FRFR or studio monitor, of course anyone can tell the difference. But that's not what we're talking about here. That real cab gets mic'd, recorded, tweaked in the mix and then played back through.... a monitor... and THEN they start to sound very much the same as the modeler played back through the same monitors. In a mix in a real song, it can be done so that nobody could tell. It's not whether or not your ears are good enough, or you're picky enough or any of that stuff. There's way more too it than that.

My issue with modelers vs amps, and I've gigged a modeler, is that an amp is easier to tweak. It has limited tone range and limited controls. My Axe FX is a bit of a nightmare to program. I've always had this issue with digital gear.

Still love the axe, and I'm sure there are plenty of teens who could program it in no time flat.

Just my experience.

I will admit that the computer GUIs are getting way better.

My issue with the first part is with the whole premise of this statement. Basically, "you can't duplicate my tone because your modeler isn't good enough." I could come up with tones on the Archon that you can't duplicate either. Is it because your HX/DA isn't good enough? Thing is, I can do the same with tones I record from the Atomic. And probably with my Micro Cube. :) Duplicating a tone is a multi faceted thing and YOU know this. Moving a mic 1/2" changes the tone of a mic'd amp as does rotating the mic a bit off axis. So if I nailed your tone with my modeler, you could move your mic very slightly and then say "ok now, duplicate it again" and I may not be able too because I don't have quite the right IR to match that mic/mic position/speaker setup. So, I disagree with the premise that nobody could duplicate your tone with a modeler because the modeler isn't good enough.

Nah. An HXDA isn’t designed to model other amplifiers. That isn’t its purpose. However, a modeler is designed to model other amplifiers, and that is its express purpose.

So, get out your Kemper with an HXDA profile, and see if it can stand up to the real HXDA.

I can’t comment on what other people hear/observe/think. I’m not them, they’re not me. All of this is merely opinion.

According to the people at line 6 - the main issue with the tone of modelers is the "Playback System". What is it coming out of...small monitor speakers, floor monitor, FRFR etc. The better the playback system the better the experience.

I don't see this replacing my amps but do see it as a tool anybody who leaves the house or studio should have.

I've successfully modeled the HX/DA. Right on the money.

Well, an improved version, really. The HX isn't quite gainy enough for me. And the DA is a bit less cutting than I'd like. Plus it only has one channel. And overall the tone is a bit too vintage.

So I've tweaked it make it sound much better than the original amp. It's maybe a bit closer to an Archon.

So it's exactly right. A perfect reproduction of what the HX/DA SHOULD sound like.

I've defeated Les's gauntlet.

Well, an improved version, really. The HX isn't quite gainy enough for me. And the DA is a bit less cutting than I'd like. Plus it only has one channel. And overall the tone is a bit too vintage.

So I've tweaked it make it sound much better than the original amp. It's maybe a bit closer to an Archon.

So it's exactly right. A perfect reproduction of what the HX/DA SHOULD sound like.

So...you've created a patch that blends the HXDA and the Archon?o_O

According to the people at line 6 - the main issue with the tone of modelers is the "Playback System". What is it coming out of...small monitor speakers, floor monitor, FRFR etc. The better the playback system the better the experience.

I don't see this replacing my amps but do see it as a tool anybody who leaves the house or studio should have.
I think that the better the FRFR, the better the tones. No question. But I think that the IRs are the weak link at this point. Jay Mitchell put up an IR that is "reflection free" and it is a whole next level better on clean tones than ANY IR I've tried. Stunning clean sounds from a humble QSC CP8. Most people who tried it agree with what I said, that it's just a whole new level of realism. Unfortunately, I still haven't found an IR that is the huge step up for gain tones, that his is for clean tones. But boy if he can get that one down, it will change the modeling world!

The HX isn't quite gainy enough for me.

Me either, according to:
A) the plexi models I've tried in Atomic and L6 Devices
B) my amp pusher/financier.

I was working with some Plexi presets in the Atomic and thought I had some killer stuff til I turned it up loud and then I wasn't happy and needed more tweaking. But I always have to use a boost or OD to get there. At least that is, until they build in a Variac function to the models. ;)

This is why you’re my hero. Kinda. ;)

Me either, according to:
A) the plexi models I've tried in Atomic and L6 Devices
B) my amp pusher/financier.

I was working with some Plexi presets in the Atomic and thought I had some killer stuff til I turned it up loud and then I wasn't happy and needed more tweaking. But I always have to use a boost or OD to get there. At least that is, until they build in a Variac function to the models. ;)

I meant the HX part of the HX/DA. And the whole post was tongue firmly in cheek :rolleyes:

I am definitely not a neophyte when it comes tube technology, solid-state technology, or digital signal processing (my undergraduate degree is in computer engineering and my graduate degree is in computer science). I agree with you, Les. The HXDA has something special I believe that even Paul does not fully appreciate (Paul has an ear for tone); otherwise, he and the rest of the management team would have not canceled production of the amp. The HXDA is a truly magical amp for those of us who grew up playing single channel amps where the volume control on a guitar could be used as a compression control. The HXDA is a very touch sensitive amp. That being said, modern players cannot appreciate the HXDA because they are looking for something entirely different. We are dinosaurs, Les.

Back