Humidity control tips?

hord1080

Hey all - in my basement there is a really nice all-cedar closet (smells amazing) from the old owners that looks like it was used for hanging clothes (very old school) which we don't use and I was thinking - hey why not throw all the guitars in there! My house has no central AC and the humidity is currently 19% (north NJ) and in the summer it can be 60-70% (I do plan on putting in a dehumidifier in the basement to keep humidity around 45% in summer or whatever is best) so I do notice having to tweak my guitars setups seasonally which I don't enjoy. I just pulled out a bass guitar I haven't played in a few months and it was detuned a full step and buzz city until I adjusted the truss rod. I also worry about longevity etc. I don't have a pricey collection, just a Korina McCarty and Tim Mahoney SE plus a bass and a Strat.

In any case, any ideas on how to properly humidify that closet? Is a bucket of water or water soaked sponges the right move? Other options? Any concerns on mold? Am I overthinking it? I am not looking to spend a lot of money really, just thought it could be a cool way to keep the 4 electrics and 2 acoustics I have stable and safe in a closet I don't use. And to be honest they barely fit in my den kind of crammed around the piano.

I use one of these in the basement.

https://www.honeywellstore.com/stor...umidifier-with-digital-humidistat-hev620b.htm

Evaporative, so none of that fine white mist to get on everything. I've been using one in the basement, one in the living room, and one in the master bedroom for several years. It was below zero here for a few days last week, and the basement never went past 40%. The living room hasn't been below 43% and the bedroom stays around 50%.

I use D'Addario humidipaks in each case. One for each electric, three for an acoustic.

I keep them cased, so it's pretty easy to have them all at 45% RH the year 'round. As a result, they hardly ever need an adjustment or setup - by 'hardly ever', I mean 6-7 years between adjustments.

Jersey here as well and I have close to 100 guitars... some acoustics but more electrics. The acoustics are the ones I focus on and have humidity control devices in their respective cases. All have Oasis Humidifiers in their cases and work incredibly well. Some of my electrics that are more susceptible to humidity changes (fret sprout etc.) have the same. In addition, I do have a home humidifier system that works ok... not perfect in low humidity situations like we have been experiencing lately with the cold and raging heat in the house :)

I finally replace my little humidifier (added water each day!) with a whole-house Carrier added to the furnace. For summer months I have a stand-alone dehumidifier in the basement (where my gear is also), that drains into the sump.

I use D'Addario humidipaks in each case. One for each electric, three for an acoustic.

I keep them cased, so it's pretty easy to have them all at 45% RH the year 'round. As a result, they hardly ever need an adjustment or setup - by 'hardly ever', I mean 6-7 years between adjustments.

As much as I,We, like to see all of my guitars, cased with humipaks is the answer in this house.. I am in the South ( Nashville) so, if you don’t like the weather, give it a couple hours,
Our house can really go up and down regarding humidity. I witnessed a GORGEOUS Taylor Acoustic that had multiple cracks from a friend just the other day….Yup he is soo bummed……..

As much as I,We, like to see all of my guitars, cased with humipaks is the answer in this house.. I am in the South ( Nashville) so, if you don’t like the weather, give it a couple hours,
Our house can really go up and down regarding humidity. I witnessed a GORGEOUS Taylor Acoustic that had multiple cracks from a friend just the other day….Yup he is soo bummed……..
I had the finish literally flake off the edges of the top of a Taylor 900 series one winter. They refinished it. And it did the same thing within a few months. I cased it, kept it humidified. I guess there's no 'perfect' in this world.

No one could figure out why. I wound up trading it in on a Collings SJ, though not for that reason. The Collings was simply closer to the tone I was looking for.

In Michigan we always say, "Don't like the weather? Wait a few minutes." BTW, I really like Nashville. What a great town!

Whole house humidifier can work very well, mostly during the winter months. However, basements can be tricky and very localized for their temp and humidity swings. I’ve had good luck with D’addario humidipaks. Once dried out, putting them in a container with water in a bowl re-humidifies the pack back to original water levels.

Whole house humidifier can work very well, mostly during the winter months. However, basements can be tricky and very localized for their temp and humidity swings. I’ve had good luck with D’addario humidipaks. Once dried out, putting them in a container with water in a bowl re-humidifies the pack back to original water levels.

Nice tip, I'm going to try that. Buying those packs for 3 guitars gets spendy.

Back