How low should strings be?? Prs Bernie Marsden

Gary Thompson

Hi all. My Bernie Marsden SE has came back from prs after warrenty work on bridge as in earlier post.
Still no way this is how it should play. I mean it passable lower down frets but stull get low E buzz and its far to low. How straight is neck ment to be? Im not wanting to gonback to shop with it moaning but seriously not happy still!!

Sounds like maybe you just need a truss rod tweak. It’s not unusual for a neck to shift a little bit when it’s moved like that. I had a Hamer that played beautifully in the store where I bought it three hours away. Two days later it was unplayable. Truss rod tweak fixed it beautifully.

Just go slow and make sure you’re turning in the correct direction (I always have to look up which way to turn it).

Sounds like maybe you just need a truss rod tweak. It’s not unusual for a neck to shift a little bit when it’s moved like that. I had a Hamer that played beautifully in the store where I bought it three hours away. Two days later it was unplayable. Truss rod tweak fixed it beautifully.

Just go slow and make sure you’re turning in the correct direction (I always have to look up which way to turn it).
Tjsnks

Thanks yes i think it maybe just needing an adjustment. Came bavk from shop weeks ago, still wasnt happy with it tbh service was shocking. After sales they really couldn’t give a toss. I gigged it since but now its far worse. Frets out low down neck.

I can see you payed £699 so I assume you're in England too! For what it's worth I would take it back and ask them to check it / set it up to your preferences.

If you want to do it yourself... action and relief are (obviously) linked so I'd set the relief first and then set the action. (Easier said than done if you don't have any tools to measure what you're doing, although you can use a capo and cheap automotive feeler guage set for relief) .

Truss rod spec is 0.010 of an inch measured at the 8th fret - see link below for the method. I set my two PRS at about half of that using a notched straight edge and a set of luthier feeler guages I bought from Crimson Guitars in Dorset - they're both really nice so if you're happy spending the money they're worth it. I use a StewMac steel ruler imported from the States for measuring action - I love the StewMac ruler but I'm sure Crimson will have something similar.

Truss rod spec from the PRS website:
https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/prs_double_acting_truss_rod_adjustment

Spec for action is 5/64th on the low E measured at the 12th fret and 4/64th on the high E again at the 12th fret. What suits will obviously depend on the guitar and your preferences (one of mine is down at around 3/64th both sides, the other is closer to the recommeded specs as it won't set as low as the other).

Setting up a stoptail:
https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/prs_stoptail

I'd also want to be sure the nut slot was not cut too low. A quick test suggested by Dan Erlwine is to press a sting down at the third fret and tap on the string at the first fret - there needs to be at least a bit of clearance (I think Dan aims for 0.008 inch low E and half that on the high E). He also says using a capo frees up both hands doing this.

Dan's book 'Make your Eelectric Guitar Play Great' is great too if you like tinkering.

Good luck!
Yes im aware of the tolerances was a card in the soft case that gave basic measurements at 8th fret. Was dead low. Shop sent it away, came back its now after playing it for weeks feels worse. Probably truss adjustment. Could have just took few months of playing to settle in?? I have a string height gauge and feelers just not confident to adjust it myself. Guitar guitar, ( shop)really let me down by there aftersakes. Thanks

My Bernie needed a truss rod tweak at least twice a year, when the seasons changed. Once in the winter, and once in the summer, without fail.

My Bernie needed a truss rod tweak at least twice a year, when the seasons changed. Once in the winter, and once in the summer, without fail.
why is this? An idea? iv only had it 3 month and is just back from repair place! Granted it has turned really cold last few dayss!!

why is this? An idea? iv only had it 3 month and is just back from repair place! Granted it has turned really cold last few dayss!!

Some guitars, all brands and levels, just need it. It's wood. It's susceptible to such changes. Pretty normal thing, actually.

Back