Can't get my guitar to behave

If your nut slot is cut too deep, before you throw in the towel, it wouldn't hurt to learn what depth is correct. A quick fix is to detune and shift the string out of place, drop some cyanoacrylate glue (Super Glue) into the slot, let it dry hard, and then recut it. Then see that you can get the setup that you like. Worst case scenario is you shank it again. Or it might work for the time being and you can leave it.

The PTC may be the best place to send a PRS for work, but I think they would even recommend you try a suitable tech in your area for something this simple. I don't think a new nut is worth the price of a whole new guitar. Seems like overkill to me.

I have had PRS take care of even out of warranty guitars the most I ever paid was one way shipping to PRS , if you contact them and treat them with respect , they have been more that helpful to me , your guitar sounds like an outlier but PRS is going to be your best bet.
I have no doubt I've talked to them a couple of times and I have absolutely no doubt that they can take care of this. I already found out it's gonna cost me something to tune of $1600 just to ship it one way. Then there are the horror stories you hear about shipping companies and guitars and of course the added cost of refinishing and stainless steal frets, tuner replacement it'll be another $1,300 and we're talking core McCarty 594 money. So I'm a bit hesitant thinking why not just get a new core model. Let's see a part of me wants the S2 as a practice guitar with these mods I don't have to worry about wear and tear and I can take it anywhere without worrying too much about it. lets see

If your nut slot is cut too deep, before you throw in the towel, it wouldn't hurt to learn what depth is correct. A quick fix is to detune and shift the string out of place, drop some cyanoacrylate glue (Super Glue) into the slot, let it dry hard, and then recut it. Then see that you can get the setup that you like. Worst case scenario is you shank it again. Or it might work for the time being and you can leave it.

The PTC may be the best place to send a PRS for work, but I think they would even recommend you try a suitable tech in your area for something this simple. I don't think a new nut is worth the price of a whole new guitar. Seems like overkill to me.
so the factory spec is 0.4-0.6 for the treble side and 0.5-0.7 mm for the bass side. I tried 0.7 to 0.6 increasing the action by 0.02 from the treble to the bass strings as the factory spec sheet suggests my bass side string won't play in tune at the first fret and the high e would still buzz. took it down to .58-.48 same bass side still wouldn't play in tune and off course my high e is buzzing even more now even with the lightest touch. If I add more relief it would increase the action at the first fret and everything will be even more out of tune. I'm stuck in this cycle pretty much high e would buzz and if add more hight to my action nothing will play in tune at the first fret and eventually everywhere els. The only tech in my area that might be able to help well lets just say I dealt with him for 3 years and I just won't deal with him anymore guy won't do decent work unless you buy a guitar from him and honestly and I say this with absolute confidence I can cut a better nut then him and he builds custom guitars. He will do everything in his power to convince you that you know nothing about guitars and he will sell you everything he can whether you need it or not; and he will do everything in his power to convince you that what ever guitar you have is crap and you should by one from him so yeah I have no issue spending private stock money just not with him. I despise people like that. I did take the guitar to him he had the same problems plus he couldn't space my strings evenly and tried to convince me that it's the correct and only way to space strings on all guitars. You can tell the spacing is out just by looking at it plus I pulled out a caliber and showed him the spacing would increase as you moved towards the treble strings and he would still tell me this is the correct and only way to do it. Also my e strings would fall off the fret board every time I breathed on them. I had him do two nuts for me and decided enough is enough, he did the same thing to my se and I sold it because of that back then I really didn't know much but I still could set up my guitar way better then he did and over the years I learned a thing or two. I have solved the later two issues but intonation and buzz issues remain the same. I took a trip that cost me $3000 just take the guitar to another tech in another country at least the guy would listen to me and consider my preferences. But the issue still remains he fixed the intonation at the first fret which isn't that hard to do just increase the slot depth but the high e still buzzed and a couple of months later my high e string was literally laying on the frets it ate through the slot so I decided it shouldn't be that hard for me to learn how to do this and it wasn't. Bottom line there is something that all these people including myself are missing with this guitar and I'm not sure what unless this is the way it should be as in you'll have to sacrifice intonation to get rid of the buzz.

Last edited:
@ViperDoc is on track. Here’s a Stewmac Dan Erlewine video on raising the nut slot with baking soda and super glue and a newer with a specific powder you can buy. It really seems like this is becoming more complicated than it needs to be. Unless you live in Antarctica $1600 seems really excessive. The concern about damage in shipping is legit. Starting over with a new nut is not a big deal. Nuts are made to be removed. The Stewmac site has years of repair videos. Look through them and learn all sorts of cool stuff. I almost get the feeling one or more of the repair guys is making this seem like it’s a bigger deal than what it should be in order to get you to buy a new/another guitar. It should be very obvious if this is being caused by something other than a nut issue. Some photos of the nut and first couple frets from different angles would be helpful. There‘s no need to put up with a guitar that is not satisfying to play.

Also IMO, I would forget about SS frets, refinish, tuners. The S2‘s are worth doing that to them. Save up for a better guitar.

Original with Baking Soda:

Newer with special dust:

@ViperDoc is on track. Here’s a Stewmac Dan Erlewine video on raising the nut slot with baking soda and super glue and a newer with a specific powder you can buy. It really seems like this is becoming more complicated than it needs to be. Unless you live in Antarctica $1600 seems really excessive. The concern about damage in shipping is legit. Starting over with a new nut is not a big deal. Nuts are made to be removed. The Stewmac site has years of repair videos. Look through them and learn all sorts of cool stuff. I almost get the feeling one or more of the repair guys is making this seem like it’s a bigger deal than what it should be in order to get you to buy a new/another guitar. It should be very obvious if this is being caused by something other than a nut issue. Some photos of the nut and first couple frets from different angles would be helpful. There‘s no need to put up with a guitar that is not satisfying to play.

Also IMO, I would forget about SS frets, refinish, tuners. The S2‘s are worth doing that to them. Save up for a better guitar.

Newer with special dust:
OOOH, I FORGOT ABOUT THE SODA!!! Man, it's been a while. Excellent call on the video, @soundperf. Dan Erlewine is a guitar tech wizard. Go for it!

Newer with special dust:
bought the dvd and all the tools that's how I learned =) got plenty of blanks and I could always start over other then the back pain I actually enjoy doing it. oh and I live about 25000 km from the states so yeah shipping is expensive.

oh and I live about 25000 km from the states so yeah shipping is expensive.
I know people that have guitars shipped from Japan, China, India, etc., to the States and it‘s usually around $200 to $300. I imagine certain things like how much it’s insured makes it vary. I live about 2 hrs. from the PRS factory. Still I have to agree with others, sending the guitar to PRS would not be my first choice.

Yes, if it was playing properly before and is now buzzing with the new nut, it’s apparent that the new nut slot is cut too deep. Unfortunately, you can’t really adjust that out. You could try a second replacement nut, or reinstall the original one until you can have a competent luthier install one for you.

The 594s play great with the standard nut, and sound great with them as well, so you’re not losing anything (and apparently gaining a lot) to dump the bone nut and enjoy the stock setup. Best of luck!
^This^

I have no doubt I've talked to them a couple of times and I have absolutely no doubt that they can take care of this. I already found out it's gonna cost me something to tune of $1600 just to ship it one way. Then there are the horror stories you hear about shipping companies and guitars and of course the added cost of refinishing and stainless steal frets, tuner replacement it'll be another $1,300 and we're talking core McCarty 594 money. So I'm a bit hesitant thinking why not just get a new core model. Let's see a part of me wants the S2 as a practice guitar with these mods I don't have to worry about wear and tear and I can take it anywhere without worrying too much about it. lets see
Sorry for your issues , where do you live ( if you don't mind my asking ) that shipping would be $1600 sounds like you need to do a vacation to the US and a visit to the factory plane ticket should be way less that $1600. Wish you were close to me this guitar sounds like one I would love to tackle and get right for you .

Sorry for your issues , where do you live ( if you don't mind my asking ) that shipping would be $1600 sounds like you need to do a vacation to the US and a visit to the factory plane ticket should be way less that $1600. Wish you were close to me this guitar sounds like one I would love to tackle and get right for you .
aaaaah buddy miss the states so so much haven't been there in about 10 years. Did part of my degree in Chicago when I was younger. A part of me wishes I can and I was thinking the exact same thing maybe I can do their tech course the one they give to their authorized repair guys learn how to fix my guitar and have them sort it out for me at the same time and see the factory. Boy that would truly be a dream come true who knows maybe get to shake Paul's hand and say hello and thank him for sharing his gift with all of us. Oh go to see all the the blues & jazz shows I could possibly see OMG!!!. Good lord I could get my hands on all the guitars and amps I could only dream about. Just the thought of it makes me smile so hard my whole face hurts. Unfortunately life won't allow for it right now got so much stuff going on and things to take care of I see no end to it, that's why spending that much was a bit of an issue. Was Struggling to teach my self how to play and sort of fighting my guitars for so long I thought this one was the solution. On top of that fighting life can't fight everything all the time. Music to me was literally the one thing I had to make it all easier. I just found out the neck is warped just got a notched straight edge and a fret rocker, shouldn't have listened to those techs and I should have done everything by my self from the start. I'll check it again but it seems that the neck is gone must of happened during shipping all that heat couldn't of been good for the wood.

so I checked it again after I regained the courage to find out if my guitar is really gone for ever and if I decrease the relief below 0.9 mm I get space between the first fret and my straight edge. Not sure if that constitutes a warped neck or not but even at 0.9mm of relief I have high spots on my frets all over the guitar I'm surprised only my high e is buzzing. Specialy with how little relief I usually have the guitar set up with, which is (0.06mm).

Hi everyone finally I fixed it !!!!!!! I am over the moon. Dressed the frets used an old nut that I cut as a mock up and I went up to 11's and no buzz. Ideally I would yank the frets out sand the fretboard straight and go from there but It works just fine have to intonate it but it seems like it won't fight me and it playes like a dream now. Plus the extra tension seems to have brightened up the sound, which is exactly what I wanted it to sound like. It's very very close to my custom 24 in fact I wanted my CU24 to sound like this. I want to go up on the roof and howl at the moon I'm so happy !!!!!!!! and I did it all by myself =) this is by far the longest I went without playing, I use to telll people all you need is one guitar I was absolutely wrong I'm planing a trip just to buy every PRS I possibly can.

Back