How do you make time?

Disclaimer: I suck at taking my own advice
I tell patients all the time that You make time for what is important, yet here I am

So how do you family folks make time to enjoy your guitars?
Currently working full time + Nursing School + raising 3 fosters so any advice is appreciated
Stay up late and play. Get up early and play.
You can sleep when you are dead.

Playing guitar is a nervous habit, like grazing on snacks, smoking, or picking your nose.

I just leave a few out and about and randomly pick them up throughout the day.

Yeah. If you’re a nose-picker, I’m not letting you play my CU24 PS30, ‘cause I don’t want that stuff on it. So there. ;)

A guitar nested in the office helps. Musical lunches.

My wife went into labor with our first son while I was at band practice. That was my last band practice for at least 5 years. We finished our booked gigs but I didn’t play in public again for a few years. Ok, several years! There just wasn’t enough time to do it. Life’s priorities shifted, that’s all. But I kept music a central theme on a daily basis, and though a few of my guitars acquired some bumps and bruises from tiny hands and mishaps, the payoff was huge. Both boys use their musical skills in their careers and continue to play. I still get to eradicate vermin and roaches from seedy bars with my loud guitar, periodically, so it has all worked out fine. Keep your eye on the goal.
drew-guitar1.jpg

drew-guitar2.jpg

I quit my last band a year ago for several reasons one being no time to practice.
We ar ed down to one kid at home but wife and I are just so busy with work.

I've got a recording project that hadn't seen any forward progress in 4 weeks.

I can find time to practice here and there but this recording thing takes commitment. Not sure how to handle it.

Time management has been brutal for me for several years now. Demanding job with some travel, young child, plus parents and in-laws with major health issues (all are local). About 5 years ago my wife suggested hanging my guitars on the wall. This has led to me playing more often, though typically later evening after my son goes to bed. Now with the chronic health issues, I haven’t been able to focus on technique, so mostly stress relief. Recent round of chiro traction therapy on my back has made me too sore to play this week, I need to address that this weekend. :)

I don’t plan a specific time to play, just try to pick one up when I feel like it. Typically leads to more enjoyable sessions too - supposed to be fun, not a chore! Also explains why I haven’t improved my technique much though...:)

Back