How do the 408 and MEV compare?

Silvertree

I love the smell of a PRS case in the morning.
I sold my pattern thin 408 a while ago. I've been looking around for a rosewood neck or maple neck 408 but haven't found the right one yet. Then I got to thinking, I have a Wood Library ME 5 on order, so would I be better spent looking for something else to fill that open spot in my collection? Yes, of course both is always an option but I thought would ask if anyone has thoughts on the comparison between the two?

My 2 cents..... MEV is more versatile and the most versatile PRS model to date. Compared to 408, well its hard to because of the pickup changes. MEV's uses TCI humbuckers (neck and bridge) same a Paul's model since 2018. They are very different sounding than the 408 neck pups that were also used in Paul's guitar prior to 2018. 408 also has different bridge pup. I think the 408 is a discontinued model but again pups are not TCI. MEV...... can't go wrong.

I have both a ME V (different wood combination, ash neck, maple fretboard) and a Signature limited (which is the OG 408 technically). The bridge pickup of the 408 is extremely fat and ballsy in a very good way, and very different from the MEV which is narrower and more focussed. I like both, but given my wood combinations, the Signature Limited (with Mahogany body and particularly dense Mahogany neck) sounds like a particularly ballsy Les Paul, even the narrow neck pickup, whereas my MEV gives me very Strat vibes.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. At the end of the day I will probably just buy another 408. I wish I wouldn't have sold my Eriza Verde Signature Limited. I still kick myself over that.

Back