How Bad Do You Really Want It?

sergiodeblanc

I came across my "White Whale" today. You know, that one guitar you previously told yourself you'd have to buy if it ever came up for sale....

... and I wimped out.:oops:

Ever have that happen to you?

Yep. Twice actually....but a little different situation. I've always wanted a faded blue jean custom 24, and the limited edition white tiger custom 24 they made a few years back. Both came up at a time where guitar funds were depleted so I did my best to get together the cash, both (separate occasions) sold a guitar to partially fund it and just as I had enough $ they were sold. Broke my heart twice. The second time I tried to convince the seller to hold it for a few days but understandably he needed to move forward with the listing to sell ASAP. If those ever come up again I will not let either slip through my hands...

Actually kind of happened twice with two separate guitars. Both being my Pernambuco DGTs as I've wanted them for sometime when they got announced some years ago. The white tiger one came up on mylespaul and the price being a bit steep I wimped out. Same with the faded blue green. I redeemed (poor word choice I know :D:eek:) myself about a year or two later when by chance both were up for sale again at much better prices. Sometimes, I feel as it was meant to be and the guitar can find you when least expected. Wallet still hates me though.

This happened to me with my AP SC. I've told the story many times. Loved the guitar the 1st time I saw it(on a different forum). Went up for sale a few years later, but it was a little more than I wanted to pay and I kinda wanted a 24.5" scale at the time. So I passed and kinda had that sick feeling. Few years later it popped up again, I inquired. I didn't let it go that time. I even paid a little more for it. I wasn't gonna balk at the price even though I paid more than it was really worth. It was worth it to me to obtain the guitar, so I had to do it. Figure out a way and just do it!

Damn dude, it's a stunner. I feel as if that guitar was made for you and it would be a shame if someone else snatched it up IMO :eek::D:p.

I know.... It just seems ridiculously overpriced to me, and I'm considering the fact I already own that same guitar.

I mean, I guess I'm finding out how much is too much for me to spend on a paint job.

No. That's at least twice the amount it should be. Not to mention, one transaction from the seller?

I honestly can't remember. My whims are so whimsical sometimes. I see something I HAVE TO HAVE but really can't afford, and I don't pull the trigger, now I can't remember it at all.

I came across my "White Whale" today. You know, that one guitar you previously told yourself you'd have to buy if it ever came up for sale....

... and I wimped out.:oops:

Ever have that happen to you?

Yep - couple times. Most notably, a CU22 Soapbar, in gold top, at Dave's. Saw it, hemmed and hawed, and it sold before I could pull the trigger. Couple weeks later, it showed up again. I asked if it was the same guitar, and whoever answered said it was, the buyer found something else and sold it back. But it didn't matter because it had sold again the day before.

Guess what popped up again a couple weeks after that.

This time, I sent a simple e-mail - "How much did I miss it by this time?" Couple hours. Third buyer kept it, as far as I know.

It has absolutely happened to me on 2 different occasions one two different used Private Stocks...I had 2 chances to purchase both of them from their respective initial owners and even deals later on. I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger and step up into the PS price point at the time...

...but if they both surfaced now I would only go after Glen's old SC Soap / HB Combo (PS 379):
379-Full.jpg

However, that's only after realizing that while I love a P90 in the neck, I just can't live with one in the bridge...so this one would be out now:
253.jpg

Yup..........I stumbled across a white LP at a Killer price back in the mid 80s but passed,

Passed on a McCarty trem a few years ago and flame maple peach top/ whitewash back cu24 about 8 years ago.

Serg, I actually love the B pink color but that one is overpriced. It sure would be cool though.

I fall firmly on the other side of this. I've let things go for far less than I should have, and wished I never would have parted with. I'm not sure if I have a "holy grail". If I did/do, I'm pretty sure I'd do something stupid if I saw it for sale. I have no willpower.

Back