Hollowbody II Singlecut?

ShemRahDood

Has anyone directly compared one to a doublecut? The singlecuts are so far and few between, I am having quite a bit of trouble finding very much information about them. I am in the market for a HB II after playing a friends doublecut, and I like the look of the single and they also seem to be slightly more affordable. Wondering about stuff like neck dive (idk if its an optical illusion but the front strap doesnt look like it reaches out as far as the horn on a dc) and any other weird quirks that could come up from changing the shape, seeing as it seems like the model was designed from the ground up for the doublecut shape.

I was sold on the guitar as soon as my buddys was on my (weak, tendinitis, carpal tunnel ridden) body and the combination of comfort, playability, and sound blew me away. When I found there was a sc version, figured itd be cool to save a little money and have something a bit more unique at the same time if there isnt a weird catch.

Thanks!

I have a HBII and a SC HBII. They are very comparable guitars. They both play great and sound great. Both of mine have 57/08 pickups in them as well as the piezo systems. I have played my live a good bit. I love having the acoustic tones as well as my regular electric tones. I have played everything from acoustic, to clean snappy electric to upper medium gain levels with mine and it pulls them all off very well. I have played the SC more than the double cut live. I am not sure why, it just worked out that way. There is zero neck dive with it. It hangs right where it should.

I believe the heel is shaped differently on the SC. I don't find mine to be intrusive and I don't get neck dive.

Hope you can find one. I love mine even though it's a SCHBI without the maple back. That's the comparison I'd really like to see.

If you like single cut hollowbodies , don't forget the SC-J somehat rare .. but sweet
aeb4eae75lwiaqynfq6z.jpg

PRS no longer makes the HB singlecuts right? I only see them used, or unsold new but $$$$.

OH: and there never were any SE SCs, right?

I've been looking at 339s, and Ibanez, but I think I might like a PRS... but I really prefer the SC to the DC look, especially for hollowbodies. But for PRS would have to wait for one used? And since they seem to be discontinued, likely overpriced?

PRS
PRS no longer makes the HB singlecuts right? I only see them used, or unsold new but $$$$.

OH: and there never were any SE SCs, right?

I've been looking at 339s, and Ibanez, but I think I might like a PRS... but I really prefer the SC to the DC look, especially for hollowbodies. But for PRS would have to wait for one used? And since they seem to be discontinued, likely overpriced?

Overpriced? I don't know where you get that idea, but PRS Hollowbodies have always been quite expensive, with prices dictated by their build. Semi-hollows with pressed laminate tops and backs like a 339 or Ibanez are a completely different guitar; my Hollowbody II SC cost substantially more than a 335 when it was new back in 2012. The McCarty 594 Hollowbody II guitars are at a slightly lower price point than the original HBII or HBII SC, but they're smaller smaller than either of their predecessors. If there is a premium asked on the used market for the discontinued SC model, I haven't seen an example, but they certainly seem to be on the rare side; a good sign I'd warrant, as it suggests people are unwilling to part with theirs. I know I love mine; I'll take it to my grave.

PRS

Overpriced? I don't know where you get that idea, but PRS Hollowbodies have always been quite expensive, with prices dictated by their build. Semi-hollows with pressed laminate tops and backs like a 339 or Ibanez are a completely different guitar; my Hollowbody II SC cost substantially more than a 335 when it was new back in 2012. The McCarty 594 Hollowbody II guitars are at a slightly lower price point than the original HBII or HBII SC, but they're smaller smaller than either of their predecessors. If there is a premium asked on the used market for the discontinued SC model, I haven't seen an example, but they certainly seem to be on the rare side; a good sign I'd warrant, as it suggests people are unwilling to part with theirs. I know I love mine; I'll take it to my grave.

Sorry, I was speaking of the single cuts specifically, and that was before I realized there are no SE SCs. So when I saw prices of NEW SEs, my brain was comparing them to USED SCs (non-SE)

I have a SC HBII. I have played a decent number of gigs with mine. Mine is also a color that I think may be a custom color for the model. Mine is Purple Hazel. Mine also has the piezo system in it. That is what drew me to playing it for gigs. That along with 57/08 pickups from the factory makes this guitar a tone machine. I have a double cut that is essentially the same. These guitars have always been one of the most expensive models PRS makes.

I also have a CS 339 as well as a 335. The PRS hollow body guitars are a different animal all together.

I have a SC HBII. I have played a decent number of gigs with mine. Mine is also a color that I think may be a custom color for the model. Mine is Purple Hazel.

I'd like to see a pic of that!

I wanted an SC HB1 bad enough that I went the Private Stock route years ago to get some of the features that I also wanted on top of the core offerings that you can find from time to time on the used market.

3NiuA6F.jpg
Hot!

I have a white SC HB 2 that I got a while back. Plays and sounds great l. I play more acoustic currently so it doesn’t get picked up too much unfortunately. Love how light it is and no neck dive. I have the original 57/08’s but have tried sheptones and others. They all sounded great. I would post a pic if I could figure out how to. Evidently I am low level tech…

Back