High action

Bobz1b

Hi I recently altered my neck relief to get rid of fret buzz on the bottom 2 strings around the 5th - 7th fret area which worked but now the action seems high at the higher frets I measure 5/16 at the 12th fret. Is it a matter of saddle adjustment? Thanks bob

Hi Bob,

You should set the relief in the neck by adjusting the truss rod so that there is just barely any bend at all to the neck (away from the strings). Then adjust the saddles to set the action. IMO 5/16's is high and I like a higher than average action. About half that is probably better and many like it even lower. Maybe start with 1/8th.

Hi guy`s thanks for all the good advice, I have looked at the info on set ups and have tightened my truss rod a little so the neck relief is better (think I over compensated last time) anyway the action has improved....I will let it settle down for a while...am i right in thinking truss rod adjustments need to be given a day or so to level out? I`m learning a lot anyway and will let you know how it goes. thanks again I appreciate your support. Bob

I've never heard of having to let your PRS settle after adjusting the truss rod, possibly because it's dual acting?

All my guitars are setup as per the PRS guidelines, and I get 1/16" at the 12th fret no worries. If the truss rod and saddles/bridge is set right and you're still getting buzz at the lower frets it might be because the nut slots are too deep. PRS sell precut nuts so that would be my next step if you're still having issues.

Not sure that you need all that much time to let the adjustment settle, but taking a day before you say it's final doesn't hurt. The big thing w/a truss rod adjustment is to go slow. Smaller is better.

Use your trussrod as a toneshaper.Use the guidelines as a starter and listen to your guitar in a POD or something similar with headphones.Use a somewhat Clean sound.My tip is not to have too much frets in your sound as i call it.It should feel comfortable to play and have some snap to it.Too many use too low action and too straight necks.That prevents you from playing with Dynamics.It will be a weak sound.Too much bow and it will feel dead.Find the sweetspot and you will be able to have a lively guitarsound that you can play both soft and hard with.

Back