Hey Pickup Peeps, CE22 Treble Pup Suggestions Needed

Blakemore

Hey friends,

Looking for advice on another lovely guitar.

I've got a CE 22 (hog + maple top) with Dragon II's. I don't mind the neck pickup but the bridge and I have a love/hate relationship. I like the punch it has (or can have), but do not like the compression it has when you dig into it, thus losing some punch and clarity. It's also pretty mid-heavy.
I'm not a higher output pickup person fwiw. I really like the openness and clarity of most PAF or hot PAF pickups. (I blame growing up a tele player)

I have considered a Suhr Thorbucker or Thornbucker + thinking it may work to achieve the goal. Any experience with a thornbucker in a CE22?

Have also considered a 59/09. I actually have a 59/09 uncovered squabbin in a parts drawer I should maybe give a shot, but the guitar is black with black pickup rings so I really like the nickel cover look on this guitar.
Anyone have a covered 59/09 treble they would want to swap for a squabbin 4 conductor?! :p

Any other pickup choices I may be missing?

covered 59/09 is a great choice, but if you want more of the PAF/Tele openness, the 57/08 seems like it would be the way to go. Not a hot pickup, but it just has that special something.

I’d love to try a covered 59/09, it’s just a matter of tracking one down.

I have 57/08s in an HBII and I do enjoy them in that guitar. Good suggestion as well, as I can find them with covers :D

Please be sure to let us know what you decide to put in. With so many pickup options, I try to live vicariously through someone else’s pickup swap.

Back