Closest PRS ( or other ) to a covered 59/09 pickup

Rider1260

Since I can't find a covered 59/09 neck pickup does anyone have any suggestions on something close , something brighter with a bit more punch than a 57/08

A used DII or McCarty pickup that literally nobody wants, so you can pick it up for $50.
I had considered putting McCarty pickups back in mine but I'm starting to really like the LTs.

The bridge wasn't love at first strum but it was initially better than the 8515 bridge.

I'm finally getting some satisfaction out of the LT set and I REALLY like the middle position a lot.

Things are starting to come together as far as recording with the amps I have too.

Have you tried the newer 4/5 wire version of the 57/08? They are a decent bit hotter than the old ones. I have a set in my 594. There is a noticable difference. I have heard people say they are essentially a 59/09.

Have you tried the newer 4/5 wire version of the 57/08? They are a decent bit hotter than the old ones. I have a set in my 594. There is a noticable difference. I have heard people say they are essentially a 59/09.
The 5 wire TCI I recently picked up has readings almost identical to the older 5708. Surprised the heck outta me! I was expecting readings similar to the 5708 in the accessory store.

The 5 wire TCI I recently picked up has readings almost identical to the older 5708. Surprised the heck outta me! I was expecting readings similar to the 5708 in the accessory store.
My newer 57/08s measure a little bit higher. It isn't a huge amount but is higher. However, the difference when plugged in is very noticeable. The set in my 594 were purchased in 2017.

My newer 57/08s measure a little bit higher. It isn't a huge amount but is higher. However, the difference when plugged in is very noticeable. The set in my 594 were purchased in 2017.
Are those TCI? I haven't installed mine yet.. figuring out which guitar. I can't decide, back and forth on my direction. I had another plan when I assumed the readings would be like the current accessory store versions.

Are those TCI? I haven't installed mine yet.. figuring out which guitar. I can't decide, back and forth on my direction. I had another plan when I assumed the readings would be like the current accessory store versions.
Nope, the TCI process is a more recent thing.

I found Lollar Imperials were pretty decent and reasonably price. But that was in a Baker which I no longer have. I think they have a high wind version that might match with 59/09s pretty well.

Since I can't find a covered 59/09 neck pickup does anyone have any suggestions on something close , something brighter with a bit more punch than a 57/08
Is It Possible To Simply Add A Cover To An Uncovered 59/09?

Are you looking for covered pups for the look or for the slightly smoother sound? Why not just keep them uncovered?

Are you looking for covered pups for the look or for the slightly smoother sound? Why not just keep them uncovered?
The guitar orginally came with 59/09s covered humbuckers , and I have played one with the stock setup and like it, but as a general rule I don't care for the look of uncovered hum buckers as much. But on this guitar its mostly to return it to the stock config

I Guess My Old School Covered 59/09's Are Not Going Anywhere.

Is It Possible To Simply Add A Cover To An Uncovered 59/09?
No sarcasm intended, and maybe i’m missing something here, but my thoughts exactly. you can buy covers to fit anywhere. I cant believe PRS wouldn’t sell you a cover if you called customer service.

No sarcasm intended, and maybe i’m missing something here, but my thoughts exactly. you can buy covers to fit anywhere. I cant believe PRS wouldn’t sell you a cover if you called customer service.

As has been said they’re “squabbins” and a standard HB cover won’t fit, hence @Rider1260 ’s comment about a “$200 experiment”.

Last edited:
Back