Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Holty, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Holty

Holty New Member

New to PRS, opportunity to get 35th Anniversary Anniversary SE Custom 24, SE Paul’s Guitar, S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow or CE24. can anyone talk me into or out of one?

2. Fro

Fro New Member

I can try to talk you into one of each if you want me to.

dogrocketp, Holty, andy474x and 4 others like this.
  3. Holty

Holty New Member

That would be nice

4. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

Maybe drop the SE Custom 24 if you also have the 35th Anniversary Custom 24 on the list - does that talk you out of one???

and Get the rest though!!

Holty and Warmart like this.
  5. Ovibos

Ovibos Naughty Wood Librarian

Isn’t it really a question of what order to get them in?

dogrocketp, Holty, Casi1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Stephen J.

Stephen J. New Member

Sight unseen, I would grab the S2 semi-hollow first. SE Paul’s guitar second. CE third, and SE Anniversary last. This is based on a combination of neck preference and build quality. If I were more into the Wide-Thin/Pattern-Thin, I would switch that to CE, SE24, S2, then SE Paul’s.

Holty likes this.
  7. merciful-evans

merciful-evans Portsmouth uk

Just play them and let your ears choose.

8. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I would pick a good CE over the 35th SE, no disrespect to the SE but they're very similar in build with the CE having some nice upgrades like pickups, locking tuners, finish. With the maple neck on both, the tone is a little brighter with a more "immediate" note attack.

The Paul's SE, if I had to describe it, I would say is like a very resonant SG, bright, but not as bright and "poppy" as the CE or SE with the maple neck.

The S2 Semi Hollow is probably the most "different" sounding guitar on your list, they have more bass and very mellow top end. I have one and use it as my "polite" guitar when I want to fit into a softer or more laid back mix. It also does extremely well for lead tones because it stays smooth on top, not piercing.

If I had to narrow it down, I would say the CE or the S2, and choose according to what your needs or desires are.

And then, yes, you can eventually buy them all!!!

9. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

This would be the correct answer :D

10. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

I would try to play them first because they have different neck shapes ... unless you are ‘neck shape indifferent’. Then it depends on whether the 35th anniversary stamp means anything to you.

Barring all specifics, and of the choices you’ve listed, I’d probably start with an S2 something. The semi-hollow is the mellowist of the bunch, I wouldn’t call it the quintessential PRS tone/feel but if you are going to buy all of the options eventually, then it wouldn’t be a bad place to start.

Oops I totally missed the CE. I’d choose between S2 ‘something’ and the CE. Disclaimer: I don’t own a CE because of the neck shape.

#10 Casi1, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    dogrocketp, Ovibos and Holty like this.