Help with SE custom 24 trem saddles

JKM

Hi all.

Long time lurker and decade and some change noodler. I've tried a lot of import guitars, and PRS is the one I always come back to.

Got a very lightly used SE custom 24 ok craigslist. Love the way it plays and the sounds (especially the neck pup split) and I've decided I'm tired of taking my geetars to techs for setups and adjustments. I have the relief at about .011 at the 8th fret, but the bride is tricky. I'm wondering if you have any tips to set the radius at the saddles and keep them level, in addition the correct action measurement at the 12th fret.

The setup page says 12th fret should measure 2/32nds e to e, but I've read a few posts that say 5/64ths on the low side and 2/32nds on the high.

I didn't touch anything other than the truss rod, saddles and claw spring, as my lurking has informed me off the danger in adjusting the six mounting screws.

Thanks in advance! Pictures of my new acquisition on request! Ha.

Congrats, and there is a reason that luthiers exist. Because it`s used, I`d have the first setup done by a qualified person. There`s no telling what the previous owner did, especially if it says hardly ever played in the ad. you can also have it properly set up for your string gauge the first go round. I wouldn`t tune a Ferrari, I won`t do my first time set up either. After setup number one, it`s all on my own. I don`t need to show my ignorance after 50 years of playing.

I agree that it makes sense to have a luthier do the first one, but if you want to try it first and then take it in if you are still not satisfied, go for it.

I don't understand one of your phrases. You said, "I'm wondering if you have any tips to set the radius at the saddles and keep them level". Those two ideas don't go together. The saddles won't be level with each other if you have then match the board radius. They will be higher on strings 3 and 4 than on 1 and 6.

Congrats, and there is a reason that luthiers exist. Because it`s used, I`d have the first setup done by a qualified person. There`s no telling what the previous owner did, especially if it says hardly ever played in the ad. you can also have it properly set up for your string gauge the first go round. I wouldn`t tune a Ferrari, I won`t do my first time set up either. After setup number one, it`s all on my own. I don`t need to show my ignorance after 50 years of playing.

True. I just want to learn more about guitars, and I would consider a setup maintenance. Even still I might take your advice. If nothing else it will be right and I'll know what it should be.

I agree that it makes sense to have a luthier do the first one, but if you want to try it first and then take it in if you are still not satisfied, go for it.

I don't understand one of your phrases. You said, "I'm wondering if you have any tips to set the radius at the saddles and keep them level". Those two ideas don't go together. The saddles won't be level with each other if you have then match the board radius. They will be higher on strings 3 and 4 than on 1 and 6.

So I'm talking about the saddles individually. E on both sides will be lower to match the fretboard, but keeping them level as in the two screws on each saddle. Can't be good to have them tilted, and the measurement isn't exactly easy with a straight edge.

So I'm talking about the saddles individually. E on both sides will be lower to match the fretboard, but keeping them level as in the two screws on each saddle. Can't be good to have them tilted, and the measurement isn't exactly easy with a straight edge.
I see. I just set them by eye. When it looks level with respect to the two screws in a single saddle, it is enough for me.

I`m a lunatic about intonation. I set the saddle height off the bridge with a 10" radius gauge, and use an electronic tuner to set the harmonics and octave at the 12th fret. The bridge height is always an issue, depending on the neck angle. My trems have to go up at least a half step, and I want all the notes to ring clear. It takes me a while, but I can get there on my keeper guitars. Then there`s the trem spring tension relative to the string gauge. And the neck bow. Have I mentioned that I always have a USA trem nut put on by Philtone Music in Baltimore? This is why a quick fix 2 sentence answer never gets me where I want to go.

I`m a lunatic about intonation. I set the saddle height off the bridge with a 10" radius gauge, and use an electronic tuner to set the harmonics and octave at the 12th fret. The bridge height is always an issue, depending on the neck angle. My trems have to go up at least a half step, and I want all the notes to ring clear. It takes me a while, but I can get there on my keeper guitars. Then there`s the trem spring tension relative to the string gauge. And the neck bow. Have I mentioned that I always have a USA trem nut put on by Philtone Music in Baltimore? This is why a quick fix 2 sentence answer never gets me where I want to go.
I live life a little more relaxed than that. Sounds stressful to me.

When I get them set up, I keep them if they sound well. When I play them, I never get distracted by bad notes. I`ve only been able to do this with PRS. Plus, if you pay the luthier, he does most of it for you. When I say keep them, my keepers are for damn near forever. It ain`t about owning for me, it`s about spankn` the plank.

See I'm more in your camp. If I know the bridge is set right, the intonation is on etc. I spend zero time wondering if I can make my gitfiddle play better. It's great. Then I just buzz up and down the neck marveling at how well it plays.

On the other hand...if I know a few saddles look crooked and the action could be a smidge higher or lower, guess what's on my mind?

Paul values build quality and getting things just right. While I understand setup is player preference, I know a lot of time and energy went into the bridge, the frets etc. He did the hard labor. I just want the guitar to play as it should.

Do I think too much? Of course, and my neurotic manner doesn't help, but it comes with territory of mashing buttons on a CNC all day. Haas VMCs, btw. Maybe the factory has one or two ;).

I live life a little more relaxed than that. Sounds stressful to me.

Drink like 10 Cups of coffee and experience the elation, brother. That's my routine. First thing in the morning I like to approach the LD50 of caffeine. Relaxation is weird.

Jk. I don't even need coffee. I just look at my bridge and wonder how many thousandths I'm off from perfectly level. One of these days I'll get it right and then I can make some rad music. Unless my tube amp could be biased or cleaned.

(Disclaimer: I might exaggerate a little.)

Back