Help with a PRS model

Baol

Hello, I've seen the following ad and pictures, here in Spain, but the seller can''t give me any more info. It's an used guitar.

PRS Custom 22:

• Mahogany body_ Maple flaming top.

• Mahogany neck.

• 22 frets

• 10 " ratio

• Diapasón de palo de rosa

• Tremolo PRS

• Block tuning keys. 14:01

• Pickups: PRS Dragon II

•5 position rotatory pickup selector.

My question is, what is the exact PRS model of this ad? Is it a SE, CE? American?

Also the price is 700€, around $900

Thank you!

Last edited:
Looks like a USA Custom 22. On a mobile so can't look very closely at the pics but if it's legit and in good shape that's a good price.

Hello Baol, welcome!
The guitar in the pictures looks like a Custom 22 made in USA; i can't read the serial number, you could make some research on the PRS site in the section support/year identification.
One strange thing is the selector, the ad says "5 position rotary pickup selector", but in the guitar pictured the selector is a 3 position toggle switch.

My guess is that the seller just copy-pasted the standard CU22 description from a PRS or retailers website, and didn't fix it for this particular guitar to state the optional (or modified) 3-way toggle. A good question to ask is whether the guitar has push-pull pots to make up for the other two modes...

Hello, there!

I agree with Shinksma. Most likely they copy-pasted the info. Maybe the rest is mistaken too. What everybody seems to agree is the fact that it's an American Custom 22 (is that a P22?).
I've just asked the store if they could provide the serial number...

By the way, does any of you guy have one of these? How good are those pickups? What about the clean sound?

Thanx again!

Last edited:
What everybody seems to agree is the fact that it's an American Custom 22 (is that a P22?).

A Custom 22 is a Custom 22, or CU22 - a double cut electric guitar, 22 frets, 2 humbucker pickups, classic PRS body shape, mahogany body, maple cap, etc. A P22 is a Piezo-equipped Custom 22. I.e. a Custom 22 with an extra feature.

Folks are emphasizing the "American" bit because it is not a PRS SE CU22, which is made in Korea (and that is a good guitar, just not considered as good, and certainly not as expensive, as the American made version).

By the way, does any of you guy have one of these? How good are those pickups? What about the clean sound?
Many people on this forum have a CU22, or a similar guitar with 24 frets, the CU24. I have a CU24, for example. The CU22 and CU24 are probably the most popular PRS guitars made, and are therefore very common.

If those truly are Dragon II pickups, I would say they are good sounding pickups, based on what I know. But, I wouldn't bet that the description is accurate until you know the year it was made. Pickups varied over the years, so it depends on the serial number (which includes the year it was made). They should have a good clean sound - it would depend a bit on which amp you have, of course.

You can find several detailed descriptions of the Dragon II pickups here at the forum or elsewhere on the web. Or from the PRS Store itself, this description:

Not as “Vintage" sounding as a McCarty and not as “Modern” sounding as an HFS.

Bass SPECS:
• Covered
• Magnet: Alnico
• DC Res: 12k

Treble SPECS:
• Covered
• Magnet: Alnico
• DC Res: 12k

- See more at: http://www.prsaccessories.com/collections/pickups/products/dragon-ii-bass-gold#sthash.jkLhL6GZ.dpuf

Back