PRS S2 Standard 22 Guitar Modification Project

I have not been in America for long. Sometimes, I can't read between the lines. I am not sure what you guys mean, but would it matter if the tuner buttons are plastic or ebony?

I was just mostly being contrary to DRP, Paul changed out the metal buttons to plastic to save weight on the headstock which was explained as a tone improvement.

Ebony buttons are going to be lighter than metal ones in any case. I would definitely go ebony myself!

In my desire to go as black as possible, I swapped my bridge with a WD black bridge. It was affordable at $60+ shipped from eBay. I had to use my stock saddles and screws though as they seem to be better to me.

Is it a good bridge? I don't know! Let's see when I put the guitar back together if I just wasted $$$ that I could have saved instead for that Mann bridge. I also had a custom pickguard made. It will have a black anodized look. I'll post pictures when I get it.

I hope I installed it right...

I also got ebony buttons.

Last edited:
Looks like you could tighten the trem claw a little, so that it’s level with the guitar top.

Check out John Mann’s you tube video of trem installation, if you haven’t already.

Looks like you could tighten the trem claw a little, so that it’s level with the guitar top.

Check out John Mann’s you tube video of trem installation, if you haven’t already.
Heh, I don't think there are any strings on that, and it's just floppin' about at the moment. ;)

Here's the thing, when you have 6 knife edges and 6 divots, you have to match each one up pretty dang exact not to have any tuning stab problems or damage possibilities.

As long as the base plate on that thing is perfectly flat, and all the screw notches line up perfectly with that, it's not going to be a problem.

If they are not ... well, you may find out why Mann charges as much as he does for that bridge. I don't think there's a cheap way to get the precision he does.

Heh, I don't think there are any strings on that, and it's just floppin' about at the moment. ;)

Here's the thing, when you have 6 knife edges and 6 divots, you have to match each one up pretty dang exact not to have any tuning stab problems or damage possibilities.

As long as the base plate on that thing is perfectly flat, and all the screw notches line up perfectly with that, it's not going to be a problem.

If they are not ... well, you may find out why Mann charges as much as he does for that bridge. I don't think there's a cheap way to get the precision he does.

The strings will pull the back of the trem up even more, so adjustment will be required.;)

I watchd Mann's video and used a 2.5mm allen hex wrench as a feeler gauge.

Strangely, the WD bridge screw did not have a groove for the knife edge. So, I used the original ones. Let's see if I just wasted money.

There is... I offer any bridge I make in black nickel.

Yes sir, I found that out already. Your bridges do look well made and all. But, I cannot afford it at the moment with a humble public teacher pay. I will try to save for it.Thanks for checking my thread!

Black Nickel or as some call it Ruthenium is so sexy!

I think the WD bridge is not working out. I may have to get the plain PRS/MANN Vibrato bridge.

What’s going on?
As I mentioned earlier, the WD bridge screws did not have a groove for the knife edge. So, I used the original ones. I noticed this afternoon that when I dip the trem arm down, the bridge is clicking in and out the groove of the screw at the 1st string. I also noticed that the bridge is kinda flexing too. The knife hole on the 6th string was also not perfectly circle as if it bleeded out of the mold when it was made.

Last edited:
The picture of the bridge saddles also showed them at the wrong height. Borrow somebody’s radius gauge to get them set up properly. You need a 10”. This is truly a badazz guitar.

Here he is with the Mann bridge in black nickel with nickel saddles, anodized look pick guard by WD, ebony tuner buttons, and all!

Presenting, Darth Paul...

20200201-165220.jpg

Here he is with the Mann bridge in black nickel with nickel saddles, anodized look pick guard by WD, ebony tuner buttons, and all!

Presenting, Darth Paul...

20200201-165220.jpg

Looks truly killer!

How is the bridge stability with the strings on, did is sort out that issue?

Back