Help me pick 2 speakers for my 2 Channel Custom and H

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5962

I currently have a 2 Channel Custom and a 2 Channel H. I also bought a new matching PRS 2x12 cab.

I'm not digging the V30s all that much on the gain channel of either. I will say it sounds great on the clean channels. I am trying to get more of a Brit flavor from the OD channels of these amps. I play lots of 70s and 80s rock, hard rock, metal, and if my name didn't give it away PROG. I have other amps (Mesa TA15, Mini Rec and Mark V25) but want this amp to be great cleans and great 70s and 80s rock tones (Ozzie, Rush, Van Halen, etc. but will also want to play Hendrix and Trower stuff) , so here is what I'm considering...

1)- Scumback M75 65 watt/H75 65 watt combo
2) Warehouse ET65/Retro 30 combo
3) possibly a Celestion V type mixed with ??? (Creamback?)
4) Eminence Private Jack/ Private Jack, or PJ/Governor

The stock PRS cab has V30s. My Mesa 1x12 recto has the Mesa version and it sounds better. It's the upper mid spike that I'm objecting to and it's pushing the PRS amps gain channels to sound a bit more modern than I want. I have Mesa Mark V25 for that. I also tried it with 1x12 Avatar with Private jack (Emi's Greenback-ish speaker) and Avatar 1x with Governor (Emi's V30-ish speaker, which like the Mesa V30 has tame the spike compared to the current Celestion model V30).

The PJ and Gov sound great with the PRS OD channels! Individually or mixed. I currently don't have a G12H type speaker to try. Jim at Scumback recommended the #1 combo above. I've always wanted Scumbacks and have heard numerous people say they were the best of breed that they had tried. And right now they are cheaper than most Celestions! The Warehouse combo listed above gets rave reviews as well. And, is barely over half the price. And the Eminence speakers I already know sound really good. If the Scumbacks are the best, I don't mind spending the money of course. But if the Warehouse stuff is as good, I could literally buy the #2 combo above plus an H type (Reaper) and try all the combinations, and whichever I settle on have another good speaker to throw in an Avatar 1x.

I have played with speakers enough to know that they are VERY important in the final tone equation. I want the best I can get for the sound I'm after. I also realize that further experimentation will occur after this speaker purchase. (Lets face it, are we ever really "done?" LOL) But I want to try to get something that really works the first time if possible.

Pete Thorn apparently loves the Scumback M and the H and loves them paired, and he also likes the new Celestion V type which is sort of a Greenback/V30 mix. I've heard his demos of all those and they all sound great to me, but everything Pete plays sounds great. In several "non-demo" situations though, he has mentioned these as his favorite speakers.

What should I buy?

I've got the Celestion Heritage G12H (55c/s) in my Laney and it delivers the Brit tones perfectly. No surprise I guess given it's a Brit amp with a Brit speaker! It does that Hendrix sound perfectly.

I guess that speaker is more late 60's tones though, although a lot of 70's and 80's players used cabs loaded with them. They have a 75 c/s version that has a tighter bottom end.

My only other experience with quality speakers are the V30's you mentioned. Didn't like the amp they where in though.

I think the Scumbacks have the best vibe of the speakers you're looking at, and the most vintage sound, something I like.

Back