Help me love my CE 24

Hi guys. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I decided to try a bunch of different stuff and I'm in a good place now I think.

I swapped back in the 85/15s to give them another listen and managed to make it all work. They are bright, but I can tame bright pretty easily. The honk was my biggest problem. Did quite a bit of tinkering with pickup height and played with settings on the amp and in my pedal chain.

I noticed that by turning off the gain boost in my amp (which is actually a gain cut, but whatever...) and then turning up the gain knob, I can get about the same amount of gain, but it's slightly more full frequency. The boost seems to add a bit of upper mid to the signal. I was also running my Spark Booster in the loop before to use as a volume boost but I put it back in front of the amp. Between the normal/fat modes and the separate treble and bass knobs it gave me some more options for scooping things a bit ahead of my dirt stages. It works pretty well as a poor man's EQ pedal. I figured if need be, I could run it as an always-on with my PRS and just turn it off when using my LP or Strat.

So I think between the combination of all of this stuff, I'm in a good spot now with my CE and I haven't made any changes that would be detrimental to the tones I liked already with my other guitars. I think the biggest improvement in all though was doing small and incremental changes to the pickup height. I'd always thought that higher humbuckers meant louder and more bass, but it definitely pumps the mids pretty significantly as well. I managed to get them to a point where the nasal sound diminished but without losing too much bottom end and crunch. k

Thank you all for your suggestions here. You were all very helpful, aside from the talk of 3 ways and girls getting pelted with hot dogs. Could have lived without that. :eek:

Hi guys. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I decided to try a bunch of different stuff and I'm in a good place now I think.

Glad you're getting it dialed in to your satisfaction. One suggestion that I didn't see is that you try the Runt and the CE24 with a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet.

(It might be that your ears will love it and your back will hate it...)

Help me because i dont understand! How must i do to install the arm on the ce 24 tremolo?

I will try to keep it in my pants:

Pickup height. Dial it in. Don't be afraid to change it small amounts, they make a big difference. No, given your scenario, that may not be the solution, but it's the only suggestion I have that hasn't already been suggested.

And yes, I agree with Les' prediction that you just have a "perfect storm of gear" that's accentuating that region you don't want accentuated. Feel free to change it all. Get a pickup that's more humbuckery -- heck, get a new guitar without a maple neck. Get something gruntier. Heck, get a completely different rig -- guitar, amp, everything. Well, not cables, your cables are probably fine. Probably. Mostly. Unless they're silver. They aren't silver, are they? Well that might be the problem. No, not really.

excuseme but i don't understand! how must i install the tremolo arm?
Gently push it in. If it's too tight or floppy there's a hex screw on the back of bridge (parallel to top of guitar) for adjusting that. The hex wrench will have come with the guitar.

(But that's not really what this thread is about...)

Back