Help me decide on a singlecut

Philthy

Hi, I'm seeking opinions on the various singlecut models PRS have offered.

I'm a long time Les Paul guy who has recently discovered the joys of PRS after picking up a CE24 with a WT neck.
I love my LP Classic but the playability of my CE has convinced me that I NEED a PRS singlecut, but which one, 245, 250, 58 or Tremonti?

I'm sure they'll all sound fantastic so the decision is coming down to playing feel.

My LP's all have the 60's necks and my CE has the WT. I can't get on with Gibsons 50's style necks, they feel too clubby to me (I'm thinking LP studio not R9!). My CE's neck feels slimmer than my LP's, to provide a comparison.

How much impact does the scale length make to the feel? My CE feels more 'precise' than my LP, if that makes any sense?

Will the WF/pattern neck be as fat as a Gibson 50's or will I be able to easily adjust.
If not my choice would seem to be limited to a very rare SC250 with WT, and I haven't seen one for sale in ages :0( or the Tremonti model.

Unfortunately I don't have the option to try them side by side as PRS dealers are a bit thin on the ground in these parts.

Please help, I'm going around in circles at the moment.

I am not the most knowledgeable person here regarding Gibson neck profiles. I can tell you I owned a '93 Les Paul Custom and I liked the neck carve and prefer Wide/Fat on PRS. There are a number of SC models and one is bound to float your boat. Many people here should be able to assist with finding you the right carve given your Gibson references. Good luck and welcome.

I have found that the 50's Gib neck you talk about most closely resembles the wide fat PRS neck found on the Santana model. The pattern neck (updated wide fat) as I understand it and feel, is not as wide fat as the old wide fat, probably why they call it Pattern Regular and not anything else. I find it to be just right. Just my opinion. The number designation of the model identifies the scale length. The SC 245 is 24.5", the SC 250 is 25".

I have a 60s neck LP if thats your go to neck shape look for a WT or Pattern Thin PRS.
I find the 60s gibby neck to be a bit wider and almost flat on the back compared to the PRS WF or Pattern.
There were some SCT PRSi made with WT necks
Happy hunting

I am kind of in the same boat here. I have a Les Paul Classic Plus with the slim taper neck and a Custom 22 with a wide-thin neck. While I love my Les Paul, Ive got the GAS bug for a PRS singlecut. I really like the wide thin profile on my custom 22. Switching between my LP and Custom 22 I dont notice a huge difference.

A few months ago, I played a Stripped 58 and a new SC245 with the new pattern neck (which is an updated wide fat) and noticed only a very minor difference. It wasnt a major difference but it was noticable. Still a very comfortable neck profile and not huge like some of the LP baseball bat neck profiles.

In the end, Im probably going to go with a Tremonti. Mostly because I want a 25in scale like my Custom 22. Plus I know the Tremonti can handle the heavier tones that I generally go for. In the end, I dont think you can go wrong either way.

Good luck.....

I loved the feel of my SC250, I just didn't get along with the high output pups. If I still had it, it would have 57/08s.

Also, I realize this is a little out of the box thinking, but the PTC can reshape a neck to a thinner profile...just sayin'.

Good luck.

How much impact does the scale length make to the feel? My CE feels more 'precise' than my LP, if that makes any sense?
I am not sure what you mean, but I prefer 25,5" and 25" scale length. it feels more natural to me.
I have a Tremonti and love it, but I do prefer the pattern neck profile.
Pick ups you can always replace to fit what you like more, for example, I have a \m/ on the neck of my Tremonti and couldn't be happier.
I think you first should decide if you want a term or fixed bridge. then the kind of neck profile and scale length.
I think PRS could have on their line a SC with 25", pattern neck profile and fixed bridge. They don't, so…

good luck and welcome on board

If you want the LP experience make sure you've got the two-piece bridge. This may seem like a small detail but I think it has a big effect on the overall vintage tone of the instrument.

I'm not sure you can get a WF with the 2-piece bridge - would have to be Pattern. Great necks, my favourite out of the PRS stable, but they are a bit smaller than the WF.

well i have a trimonti and a sc250 and i have to say i agree the pick ups in the sc250 are hot but man the tone it is one of my 5 prs guitars that i will never mod or sell i have had multiple chances and it just sounds too damn good the neck has a warm feel and is thin fat and fast its my first prs and wasn't ever gunna be my last ;) but i do prefer now a days as my main prs guitars the custom 24 wow that is a guitar the sc250 is great but man is it heavy! the custom 24 is light very tonal and wow the neck i can't say anymore about these guitars other then owning them is an experience and paul is a awesome guy!

I recently got my first SC245 (also my first PRS) and it has killed my Les Paul gas. I love the look of a Lester but the playability just isn't there for me. The access on the 245 is just amazing for lead playing. I can shred all day long on it.

I recently got my first SC245 (also my first PRS) and it has killed my Les Paul gas. I love the look of a Lester but the playability just isn't there for me. The access on the 245 is just amazing for lead playing. I can shred all day long on it.

and it wont be your last dont get your heart stuck on the sc only trust me i was only a sc kinda guy at first the 22 and 24 are amazing and a lot lighter! lol

Thanks for all the replies.

so cphr3d, the pattern necks are slightly chunkier than the Gibson slim taper then, I could probably live with that. 245's and 58's are available with this neck profile, but obviously 250's went out of production before pattern necks were introduced?

i really like the look of the tremontis but they are a little pricy and I have a feeling I would end up having to replace the pickups as they'd probably be a bit hot for my tastes, it all adds to the cost.

aduayar, I'm not sure what I was trying to say about different neck scales. My LPs seem "looser" somehow and I play differently on them than I do on my CE, which seems to be easier to play more cleanly on. I tend to reach for the LP when I want to rock out but The CE when I want to execute some more technically demanding stuff, my technique is more studied on the CE I guess.

thanks again for all the responses I'll let you know how I go.

aduayar, I'm not sure what I was trying to say about different neck scales. My LPs seem "looser" somehow and I play differently on them than I do on my CE, which seems to be easier to play more cleanly on. I tend to reach for the LP when I want to rock out but The CE when I want to execute some more technically demanding stuff, my technique is more studied on the CE I guess

I was trying to put in english (sometimes it's hard for me) the scale length thing when I read this: http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Fretting/a-scalelength.html
long story short, the SC245 and 58 has the same scale length of a Les Paul, while the CE has a longer one and that changes the sound and the feel of the strings. besides, and that's something I feel, is when you have a body through kind of bridge (tele, start and PRS trem) you have more tension on the strings, with changes the feel of playing it. For bad or worst, that only a matter of taste. As I mentioned earlier, I prefer PRS' and Fender's scale length then Gibson's, feels and sound better for me, and that's one of the reasons that the SC245 and 58 were never my kind of instrument.
And what happens all the time is you find some specs of a guitar that makes is plays perfect for you, but another specs sounds better for you. This whole thing is a *****, I know.
I hope I could help, because right now, I think I am doing the opposite..lol

Well,

I ordered an SC245 today. Pattern neck, mcarty burst. Excited and a little worried at the same time, it's a lot of money to find I really need a wide thin neck!

I'll post back when it arrives.

Should have went with the Tremonti.
I have a hard time with the wide/fat necks as well.
The SC245 is a beautiful guitar but I really think you're going to have buyers remorse because of the neck.
I hope I'm wrong.

I think the pattern neck is pretty close to a gibson.. I sold my les paul traditional about 6 months ago and have been saving up for an SC245 since... I then totally changed gears when I picked up a Studio for the first time and I bought it on the spot. Ordered it in another colour so I'm still waiting. Anyway, wide fat and pattern neck are pretty close and I think it would be pretty comfortable for LP players.

I still do want a SC245 but the weight kind of turns me off and my LP was shades past 9 pounds.. the Tremonti model seems pretty awesome as well as I prefer a trem to a stop tail.

Anyone know if the SC245 has an average weight or am I looking at 8lbs or more for sure?

Good luck in your search!

Man you sound JUST like me!
Loved my CE. Hate Gibby's bats and can't bond with their "loose" feel.
I have a few USA PRSs but in May I got a Tremonti SE Custom. Wide Thin neck and 25" scale.
Korean but all the build quality of a Lester if you ask me.
I did a pickup swap but I do those in the USA ones too.
Definitely worth trying if you can and you'll save enough $ to buy an amp too..or a second, third, and fourth SE lol.
Good luck.

Well,

I ordered an SC245 today. Pattern neck, mcarty burst. Excited and a little worried at the same time, it's a lot of money to find I really need a wide thin neck!

I'll post back when it arrives.

Again, if you really hate the neck, ship it off to he PTC and have them recarve it.

Back