Help me consolidate guitars (need to trade for fatter neck guitar)

Jeff Kushmerek

It looks like 30+ years of playing combined with a ton of sports has taken a little toll on my hands. A few months ago I bought a McCarty 594 Thinline. I love love it, but the thin neck makes my index finger a ball of pain no matter how much stretching and warm-up I do. I have larger hands (6'3").
So I went thru my guitars to see what I can play now without pain:

- Heritage 535 - big neck. No issues with hands. HOT pickups. (SD 59's) so it does push my amp that I play clean through
- Les Paul 2008 Studio. Asymmetrical Neck. I still feel like this is small, but I did not have any pain after playing the other day
- Strat- big 50's neck. A few issues the other day but didn't last after I stretched post-playing
- PRS SE HB2 with upgraded pickups. No pain issues, but I have never loved the feel of the neck. This sounds weird, but sometimes it feels "plastic-y" in my head. Acoustically it doesn't sound as rich as the Heritage
- PRS McCarty 594 Thinline. Man I love this guitar. Plays fast. sounds amazing. but that thin neck has me not able to open a bag of chips after I play it :)

So my thought here is to keep the Heritage and Strat. Is there a PRS that can give me that tone and feel of the 594 thinline with a fatter neck? I would love to put the other 3 guitars in my truck, drive up to Bedford NH and trade them in for some beauty, but I have no idea on the models. One other note is that I like mostly subdued finishes (tobacco sunburst, etc)

The pattern vintage neck on the 594 is awesome or at least in my hands it is. I love playing my pattern thin but my hand does get tired quickly when doing so.

It looks like 30+ years of playing combined with a ton of sports has taken a little toll on my hands. A few months ago I bought a McCarty 594 Thinline. I love love it, but the thin neck makes my index finger a ball of pain no matter how much stretching and warm-up I do. I have larger hands (6'3").
So I went thru my guitars to see what I can play now without pain:

- Heritage 535 - big neck. No issues with hands. HOT pickups. (SD 59's) so it does push my amp that I play clean through
- Les Paul 2008 Studio. Asymmetrical Neck. I still feel like this is small, but I did not have any pain after playing the other day
- Strat- big 50's neck. A few issues the other day but didn't last after I stretched post-playing
- PRS SE HB2 with upgraded pickups. No pain issues, but I have never loved the feel of the neck. This sounds weird, but sometimes it feels "plastic-y" in my head. Acoustically it doesn't sound as rich as the Heritage
- PRS McCarty 594 Thinline. Man I love this guitar. Plays fast. sounds amazing. but that thin neck has me not able to open a bag of chips after I play it :)

So my thought here is to keep the Heritage and Strat. Is there a PRS that can give me that tone and feel of the 594 thinline with a fatter neck? I would love to put the other 3 guitars in my truck, drive up to Bedford NH and trade them in for some beauty, but I have no idea on the models. One other note is that I like mostly subdued finishes (tobacco sunburst, etc)

Easy fix. Get a core model McCarty 594. They have a comfortable beefy neck carve. All you need to do is decide whether you want a singlecut body, a doublecut, hollow or semi-hollow body.

Beefy neck honorable mentions would be a Core line PRS SC245 or one of the new Heritage Custom Core H-150's.

PRS-2019_McCarty594-ltd-Copperhead-01.jpg

PRS-2016_McCarty594VioletPurple.jpg

PRS-2016-594-RiverBlue_2764.jpg

I have the opposite problem. I can’t deal with either the regular McCarty neck nor the Santana, those might work for you.

If you like Les Paul style guitars, a core 594 SC is going to be hard to beat. After checking through several 594s, all great guitars, the ones I kept are a 594 SC P90 Ltd and a 594 HB II. Both are stellar instruments that complement my other guitars and add something to my modest collection. Even better, either one can stand on its own as a true #1, being either a flavor or the flavor. Can’t ask for much more than that.

The neck is hand-filling without being “baseball bat” beefy.

Back