Help me choose please

belltek

I am going to be purchasing a used singlecut. I have it narrowed down to a 2001 10 top or a 2013 stripped 58. The 2001 is McCarty tobacco sunburst which is my first choice, and a beautiful guitar but more important to me is how does it sound. The 2001 is a 1 piece wrap around bridge. The stripped 58 has the new 2 piece bridge. It is platinum blue burst and looks great also. I can play neither, and will be ordering online and having my pick shipped. I really want the les Paul sound. Thanks for any advice.

Having owned both of the models you're looking at, and currently playing a McCarty Singlecut, my advice is to get the Sripped 58. The shorter scale length, the 2 piece bridge, and the 57/08 pickups will get you substantially closer to the tone you're looking for.

the original SC is a superb guitar, but more modern sounding.

I have a sc with wrap McCarty 10 top and love it. I guess I can say it is my number at the moment. I do not have a 2 piece and only have played one once, so no help on that. My sc has the LP fell without the weight. But sound wise, the PRS 57/08 do not sound like Gibson pickups. But will get you that LP vintage sound, with more definition, IMHO. As for which is better of a wrap bridge or 2 piece, other here can answer that better.

Having owned both of the models you're looking at, and currently playing a McCarty Singlecut, my advice is to get the Sripped 58. The shorter scale length, the 2 piece bridge, and the 57/08 pickups will get you substantially closer to the tone you're looking for.

the original SC is a superb guitar, but more modern sounding.
Agreed. I prefer my 2007 SC(most similar to the 2001), but I'm after a little more modern sound. My Stripped 58 with the 2 piece is a great guitar as well. Keep in mind that neither of these guitars is going to sound exactly like a LP. They're just different. The stripped 58 is pretty close but still has a bit more clarity than a LP. Mine happens to sound VERY close to my friends LP custom, YMMV.

I have a 2012 stripped 58. The tone is close to my les Paul traditional with 57 pickups. I bought the stripped 58 because of the quality of PRS but still ended up getting the les Paul. It's close but I have to agree with war dog the pickups do not sound the same as the gibson. The scale lengths are the same and thus the guitars feel pretty darn close in feel. I probably couldn't tell the difference in feel blindfolded but I would definitely tell them apart in sound. Sorry if I confused you more. :confused:

Right. I think the PRS sound is actually fuller on the low mids and bottom than the Les Paul, especially on the bridge pickup, giving it a rounder and clearer tone.

If your need is that you have to have exactly a Gibson sound, then the answer is obvious, but I do think the Stripped 58 gives the player even more tone choices.

By the way, with an EQ pedal I can get astonishingly close to an LP sound when I want. But generally, that's not what I'm going for.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I decided to go with my heart and not my head, and I bought the 2001. I know it won't sound like a les paul, but it was the one I really wanted. Even though I'm not getting the 2 piece bridge, I know it will sound amazing. This will be my first prs. I was originally going to go with a new mira, but decided to save a little longer and go with a used core line and get something I know I will love. Plus, I'm upgrading from a 2005 Ibanez RG Prestige, which is a nice guitar, but has never felt like mine. Bought off my teacher, and so it's always felt like his guitar. Also, he wants to buy it back from me once I get my prs. So finally I will have one that feels like it's mine and not someone else's that I'm borrowing.

But thank you everyone for your insight. I really appreciate the responses. I can't wait to play my new guitar!

This is a very interesting thread but please help - Exactly what are the 2 guitars we are discussing here. I just had a look at the PRS product catalog and can find neither guitar referenced above it it.

Please excuse my ignorance, I just wanted to make sure I understand what is being discussed here. Have these guitars been discontinued?

This is a very interesting thread but please help - Exactly what are the 2 guitars we are discussing here. I just had a look at the PRS product catalog and can find neither guitar referenced above it it.

Please excuse my ignorance, I just wanted to make sure I understand what is being discussed here. Have these guitars been discontinued?
Around 2012 PRS brought out the SC58 which was more or less an artist package guitar. They also had the Stripped 58 at that time, which was a less expensive version of that. Those 2 guitars they kind of streamlined together in what is now the SC245. The 2001 Singlecut he's talking about was PRS's first guitar in the single cut design. It was 25" scale with the one piece stoptail with a wide fat neck, #7 pickups. This is no longer made, closest is the Tremonti stoptail but that is pattern thin and adjustable stoptail.

Right. I think the PRS sound is actually fuller on the low mids and bottom than the Les Paul, especially on the bridge pickup, giving it a rounder and clearer tone.

I agree with this 100% (that is the way I hear it as well) and I think it is the reason some are frustrated that an SC-58 doesn't quite fill in for a LP.

Back