help faded finish ce24 ltd black satin

larananera

Hi, I'm writing to get some advice, first of all sorry if I don't write correctly but I'm Italian. I purchased a prs ce24 LTD black satin, after a few months of use, the black matt finish where I rest my fingers and arm has faded and become shiny, do you think this is normal?. I already tried cleaning the body, thinking it was just grease from my hands, but it didn't work, I had read that the prs have a very resistant finish, and that's why they didn't put a pickguard. How can I solve the problem ? How can I add a pickguard?

That’s normal with a satin finish. The areas that you contact the most will become shinny because you are effectively polishing it when you come in continuous contact with some area while you are playing. On the back of the neck this can happen. I se Scotchbrite and go back and forth a few times to get that satin feel back.

thanks for the reply, what do you mean. to rub with Scotchbrite, and the finish becomes Matt again?

I will try with a fine sponge, similar to that of car body shops. If I put a layer of transparent scotch, avoid worsening the situation? without putting a pickguard 😁

That's why I don't like satin finishes. Too much maintenance. The above advice is correct though.

How long until you rub through to the paint? I don't know, maybe never for all I know.

If some natural sheen has you running to wrap your guitar in scotch tape.. be careful with sctotchbrite on your black top and micro scratches. It's gonna take some work and/or skill to look smooth and even out. It's one thing on the back of a neck but a top is a whole new ballgame.

Best to embrace the play wear.

If some natural sheen has you running to wrap your guitar in scotch tape.. be careful with sctotchbrite on your black top and micro scratches. It's gonna take some work and/or skill to look smooth and even out. It's one thing on the back of a neck but a top is a whole new ballgame.

Best to embrace the play wear.

I have a couple satins, I just use 0000 steel wool if it starts to bug me, but I'm not too picky about those.

Gloss on the other hand, I prefer to be pristine AFA imperfections goes. I don't mind fingerprints or beer spots though because I can easily clean those... eventually.

People pay high dollar for fake wear
you're getting the real stuff for free
embrace it

seriously even a high dollar guitar will eventually show some wear if it is played
Learn to live with it or it will drive you nuts

I have a couple satins, I just use 0000 steel wool if it starts to bug me, but I'm not too picky about those.

Gloss on the other hand, I prefer to be pristine AFA imperfections goes. I don't mind fingerprints or beer spots though because I can easily clean those... eventually.
Agreed. The satin sheen doesn't bother me on mine either.. eventually they get turned into almost a VOS look. I'm not sure how the black is gonna fair, but a lot less forgiving than scotch tape is gonna help.

Wish I could shake this bubble boy image outta my head lol

If you put a pickguard on it, I’ll organize a PRS swat team to come and liberate said item from the hostile foreign environment it is being subjected to. This is a tool, play it and enjoy the fact that people will know that you actually use it. Make it yours. You’ll never be able to keep it looking new, just go with the flow.

Back