HeadRush Gigboard & 2x FRFR108s

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Had thought that this neat little modeling device could use its own thread.

Some months ago, back in January 2020, the urge to simplify my rig took hold. After some deliberate comparisons between Helix, Kemper, Fractal, and Neural, for cost-effectiveness and ease of use, a HeadRush Gigboard was settled on, and ordered from a reliable online retailer.

About a week later, considering the sale of my Brunetti amp (it pained me greatly to let this go) happened quite by chance. A buddy of mine and I were on our way upstate in Massachusetts to GC where the only available in-store unopened example of an FRFR108 existed. (The next example was over 110 miles away in Nashua, NH, or Albany, NY.)

On the way up to Natick, MA, I revealed to my buddy that GC was likely only going to offer 35 to 38% of the Brunetti's original MSRP as a trade-in, and that I didn't think that there was much salable market for Brunetti amps in the States (Brunetti's are hand-built amps from Italy, popular in the EU, not so much stateside). My buddy, ever sensing a friend in need, said, "I'll buy your amp. How much did you think GC was going to offer you in trade? I'll buy your amp for $50 more than that."

And so we shook hands on the deal. It was necessary to wheel my amp on a small roller cart into GC, since I didn't feel comfortable leaving the amp unattended in my buddy's car, but with Gigboard in hand, we both had a chance to test drive a floor model FRFR108 and subsequently purchased an unopened one GC had in its back warehouse.

Over the past several months, my Gigboard and HeadRush Expression pedal have fulfilled my music needs for entertaining myself and practice. Yet, as wanderlust and the need to improve oneself once again took hold, a 2nd FRFR108 was purchased with the purpose of creating a powered stereo speaker rig for true stereo from the Gigboard's stereo effects array. The expression pedal is located at the base of the music stand carrying the Gigboard, to the left.

Although I've personally not had a chance to practice with the stereo speakers, nor research what configuration might be required for stereo, the image below displays how the speakers are set up.

7d0C39m.jpg

Last edited:
I highly recommend setting those on the floor, on a carpet, with their volume set at 4. Separate them about 5’ - 6’ for the best stereo wash. They are amazing for their size and price.

I use FRFR108s at home with my Kemper. I use FRFR112s with my Headrush board with my band. I’m obviously a fan, and I think those active cabs are a bargain. I have mine on PA stands. Especially when playing out, having them up in the air helps me hear them without sending my guitar through floor monitors.

I highly recommend setting those on the floor, on a carpet, with their volume set at 4. Separate them about 5’ - 6’ for the best stereo wash. They are amazing for their size and price.

It might be possible to separate these FRFRs by about 4 or 5 feet, but am currently working with a 40" separation similar to computer monitors.

Their current positioning makes it easier to reach the on/off switches on the FRFR back. Anything else height-wise would pose a problem.

Unless I had 2 speaker stands where the FRFRs could both be positioned about head height, my feeling is that anything else is somewhat of a wash. I used to own a pair of speaker towers some years ago, but sold them along with the PA speakers I'd owned at the time.

Both FRFRs sit on vibration-absorbing risers, so there is some absorption happening there.

I use FRFR108s at home with my Kemper. I use FRFR112s with my Headrush board with my band. I’m obviously a fan, and I think those active cabs are a bargain. I have mine on PA stands. Especially when playing out, having them up in the air helps me hear them without sending my guitar through floor monitors.

PA stands would be a possibility. Can't say a definite one, but yes, a possibility. Will look into FB Marketplace for stands, or locally.

I think simply adjusting my FRFR volume will work. (And we're golden.)

It might be possible to separate these FRFRs by about 4 or 5 feet, but am currently working with a 40" separation similar to computer monitors.

Their current positioning makes it easier to reach the on/off switches on the FRFR back. Anything else height-wise would pose a problem.

Unless I had 2 speaker stands where the FRFRs could both be positioned about head height, my feeling is that anything else is somewhat of a wash. I used to own a pair of speaker towers some years ago, but sold them along with the PA speakers I'd owned at the time.

Both FRFRs sit on vibration-absorbing risers, so there is some absorption happening there.

I use these which seem fine for 108s. Reasonably priced.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSP7000--on-stage-stands-ssp7000-mini-speaker-stand-pack

o_Oo_O

Stereo = L+R
not up + down

Unless of course, you have your head parallel to the floor when you play. :cool:

Last edited:
So I have Herr Squid & 11top to thank for the most recent inspiration regards my HeadRush rig. Herr Squid for suggesting the additional powered FRFR108 for true stereo, and Steve for suggesting the speaker stands.

The additional FRFR is installed as you can see above, though I'll likely hang onto the isolation risers in case the speaker stands might be too cumbersome in the small space where the fireplace bookcase is located. The speaker stands have shipped, though it may be an extra week while the west coast shipping hubs sort out their inventory. The seller had indicated in the order email that there may be a delay in shipping as both pieces make their way in transit.

This evening, am baking a cherry pie, and will settle in early with a glass of vino until the early edition of the evening news. Am hoping to be up early Saturday for a Zoom meeting and a brisk walk, then back home after lunch to test drive the stereo FRFR108s. Will likely sign off early so as to catch up on the HeadRush manual, which will hopefully preclude any issues before guitar practice tomorrow.

Thanks all for the encouragement thus far. Will be sure to let you know how the stereo FRFRs sound later Saturday evening.

take off those god damn stickers.

Sry, no can do. My preference is to keep my gear in factory fresh condition in case it sells someday. The stickers show they've been cared for and not "tampered with." It may not mean the same to you, but to a potential buyer, it may mean the difference between an easier transaction than answering questions about who the original owner was. It also shows that I listen to what some folks ask when they need to know about original ownership vs. 2nd-hand stuff. Hope this makes sense to you.

Sry, no can do. My preference is to keep my gear in factory fresh condition in case it sells someday. The stickers show they've been cared for and not "tampered with." It may not mean the same to you, but to a potential buyer, it may mean the difference between an easier transaction than answering questions about who the original owner was. It also shows that I listen to what some folks ask when they need to know about original ownership vs. 2nd-hand stuff. Hope this makes sense to you.
So, random thoughts in my brain and all... what if you sell these to a guy. Who sells them to another guy. And then that guy sells them to another guy. That guy, enterprising soul that he is, sells them to a dude (this time, instead of a guy).

Then the dude lists them on Reverb for sale. Does he present them as “one owner as new with the stickers still on them?” Or, is he obligated to answer “original owner” questions only if a sticker is removed? Is it in fact false advertising for EVEN YOU to sell them with the stickers, since the stickers are only on “new” models and are to be removed right after purchase?

Things like this are why I cant sleep at night!!!
Oh, what a tangled web we weave....

Just kidding CP, but seriously... lose the stickers! LOL

What do you all think is the better modeler for high gain stuff? Excluding Kemper, I had one, they sound killer, and I am apparently too stupid to grasp how to easily navigate the controls. They confuse me and I kind of gave up. I like how easy the Headrush and Helix units are to work from the touch screens and dials.

also I dig the smaller units like the Pod Go and the like, anyone experienced with them and their sound quality? Supposed to be same as the bigger units with smaller interfaces, curious.

What do you all think is the better modeler for high gain stuff?

I mostly play metal. I am happy with my Headrush Gigboard as I got models of the Dual Rec, 5150, and others plus IRs for cabs matching for metal playing.

However, being a Boss fanboi, I see that the newly released Boss GT-1000CORE looks promising. Damn GAS.

What do you all think is the better modeler for high gain stuff? Excluding Kemper, I had one, they sound killer, and I am apparently too stupid to grasp how to easily navigate the controls. They confuse me and I kind of gave up. I like how easy the Headrush and Helix units are to work from the touch screens and dials.

also I dig the smaller units like the Pod Go and the like, anyone experienced with them and their sound quality? Supposed to be same as the bigger units with smaller interfaces, curious.

There are several high gain amp models within HeadRush, called Treadplate (Mesa) and SOL (Soldano). I've not built a rig with these models yet, but have created an EVH lead tone using an '82 Marshall Lead model and a Plexi IR. Toss in a compressor, an orange phaser, a tube screamer, a graphic EQ and some reverb/delay and it comes pretty close to the "Unchained" sound.

Regards ease of use, the large screen, user-friendly GUI is what drew me in towards the Gigboard purchase. It's much less complicated than Kemper or Fractal, though these offer a wider variety of effects and amp models, signal paths and routing. I was happy to build a lead rig within my setlist that uses a "Blue Line" (D-style) and Bogner amp together, for beefier tones.

I can't say I've heard the Pod Go myself...although I know its a more compact device similar to the Helix Stomp...(Stomp costs about $50 less than the Gigboard, but isn't as easy to navigate with its controls...)

When I calculated the cost vs ease of use & navigation, the Gigboard was an obvious choice...for under $1K you get a complete package of Gigboard, HR Expression pedal and FRFR108. The 2nd FRFR108 is icing on the cake.

I discovered that my Gigboard was previously set up in Global Parameters using the amp out (from my Brunetti) instead of the line out, which is strongly suggested for use with the FRFRs. Will be spending some time this afternoon tweaking output settings so the FRFRs don't overload from the added dB output of line out...

Last edited:
I'm still saving up for my 2nd FRFR 108. Mine is mounted on a mini stand. They're great because they have lesser footprint. I think there's no need for heavy duty ones.

Great photo! FedEx was saying my speaker stand delivery is today...don't see how this is possible since FedEx hasn't even received the package yet...trying to decide where to place the speaker stands once they arrive...either side of my workstation? Might be possible if the cables will reach...

Back