HeadRush Gigboard & 2x FRFR108s

No worries, jxe, this is just personal stuff you might see if one were doing a renovation on This Old House or similar. Not relating to worldly doings and such.

How do you like the cinder block fireplace bookcase? Designed that from my college days where a shorter stack of cinder blocks were my word processor workstation, and also housed my stereo receiver and CD player. Dang, that was almost 25 years ago. Since then, the cinder block bookcase has been used to house some boutique amps as well as serving as a place to store books. Until recently, it housed my Brunetti Singleman amp, then the 2 FRFRs. A good 750 lbs. of cinder blocks (we calculated). Not easily disassembled or rebuilt, takes some strength standing on a step stool and lifting 7 feet.

to be honest, i grew up in florida so i get cinder block furniture but i’m on the west coast now and every time you mention it i fear you’ll end up under it. stay safe cp!

One might think this is possible, but I've got feng shui to an exact science in my living room. Unless I put the mini-fridge on top of my audio rack, and repositioned my copier/printer in the former fridge's place, the logistics would still not work correctly.

The only other possible place would be to put the fridge into the concrete fireplace on double shelves for support strength. I'd prefer to not risk that in case the shelves couldn't hold the fridge's weight. (Though that would be the only place the fridge could be effectively be placed.)

Putting the fridge into the concrete bookcase would require the help of my nephew whom I've not heard from recently.

My current choice will soon be placing the FRFRs on either side of my workstation with about 4-½ feet of separation. It's doable, but am awaiting on cable which can reach needed connection points. Cable delivery is supposedly scheduled tomorrow, Tuesday. Will wait and see.

no disrespect intended! I had no clue what "room" you were in for your music room. If your space is that small, you'd be much better served with some nice monitors. But, since it's too late for that. these things are shaped for a reason. I'd space them out on the floor, facing the listening position. No stands needed.

to be honest, i grew up in florida so i get cinder block furniture but i’m on the west coast now and every time you mention it i fear you’ll end up under it. stay safe cp!

Thanks, jxe, Connecticut is a very low-risk seismic region so the cinder block concept works well for me here. I'd likely have chosen permanent built-in wall shelving if it were anywhere else at risk. CT receives very low-level seismic activity every other year or so, and nothing to shake a house at. (Groan). We do have something called the "Moodus noise" that eerily reflects spooky doings that are merely seismic faults occurring in the town of Moodus that locals attribute to "otherworldly" activity. Me, not a believer in ghosts or such, but do recognize science regards seismic activity that sounds unusual...that's about it regards seismic risk in CT.

no disrespect intended! I had no clue what "room" you were in for your music room. If your space is that small, you'd be much better served with some nice monitors. But, since it's too late for that. these things are shaped for a reason. I'd space them out on the floor, facing the listening position. No stands needed.

Yeah, it's my living room that houses my computer workstation along with other stuff...I've already got some JBL LSR308s purchased some years ago with a Focusrite Clarett USB that are awesome for my iMac Music; the FRFRs will fit with a little room to spare on either side of the workstation L/R on speaker stands. This way, it'll be possible to practice and possibly record more directly while seated at my iMac than mic either speaker (the Gigboard has a USB connection with which a DAW connection can be made easily).

The FRFR spread will be wider than the JBL separation, and currently, stereo sounds phenomenal with the JBLs. Regards floor space, that too is possible, but doesn't work to my best needs. Not enough room or separation for stereo. The previous suggestion of wall-mounting the FRFRs was a good idea, though I might have some difficulty with the wall studs not being located where I'd wish to put the speakers.

FINALLY...
Yeah, it's somewhat of a mess but everything has its own place in the room, including decor.
Tried powering the system up, lights powered on; have not tried practicing as of yet, will wait until early Wednesday...

BH3Yr2Y.jpg

Looks great!

Thanks. It was one of my few home improvement projects I'd scheduled for this fall & winter. Provides some "occupational therapy," if you will, that prevents me from being isolated or without anything to do. (It'd get pretty boring awful quickly without projects). Only other projects I'd been doing was some baking and sharing said baked goods with neighbors. (Sry, nothing remotely recreational involved...LOL; just some pies, cheesecakes and bundt cakes...)

Am thinking now that the cockpit has been set up, there will be time to do some home recording with Logic Pro X later this winter when weather precludes outdoor activities.

How do the stands look? I think I need to raise the right side tripod a tad to even out the height level...

I don't want to get all audiophile on you, but since they aren't time aligned, you should find better balance if you put the center of the woofers at are slightly above ear level so the tweeters are 10" or so above ear level. That can take out a little of the phase issue you hear from different point sources that aren't time aligned.

I don't want to get all audiophile on you, but since they aren't time aligned, you should find better balance if you put the center of the woofers at are slightly above ear level so the tweeters are 10" or so above ear level. That can take out a little of the phase issue you hear from different point sources that aren't time aligned.

Thanks for this; the speaker tops are at 55" tall. Do you recommend bringing the height up another pole notch?

EDIT: Just discovered that the next 6" notch up takes my TRS cables stretched to the max. Am hoping this won't compromise any signal integrity...speaker top height at 61" now...

Last edited:
Placing them above ear level closer aligns them (woofer and tweeter) at your ear. Co-axial FRFR's are preferred for this reason for most guitar applications, but boy, you have to get up to mid high end RCF's to get coax models. But supposedly, they are killer. Dropping $3500 for a pair of them though is out of the question for me. That's high end amp of choice money.

Placing them above ear level closer aligns them (woofer and tweeter) at your ear. Co-axial FRFR's are preferred for this reason for most guitar applications, but boy, you have to get up to mid high end RCF's to get coax models. But supposedly, they are killer. Dropping $3500 for a pair of them though is out of the question for me. That's high end amp of choice money.

Yeah I hear that. These fit the bill well. Response is good, but not outstanding. Sometimes it's about more than just the benjamins, ya know?

Yeah I hear that. These fit the bill well. Response is good, but not outstanding. Sometimes it's about more than just the benjamins, ya know?
Yeah, those RCF coaxial models are supposed to be just GREAT FRFRs but that’s a lot of jack. If I was gigging at volume, and totally committed to an all digital rig, then maybe. But I likes my amps too much.

I have the QSC CP8. I may look at an RCD HD10 some time and see how much of an upgrade it would be and then if it really is, might buy two for stereo. But the CP8 probably stays UNLESS I find something smaller to use as my stage monitor, which is how I use it now. One channel to CP8, one to the board.

Yeah, those RCF coaxial models are supposed to be just GREAT FRFRs but that’s a lot of jack. If I was gigging at volume, and totally committed to an all digital rig, then maybe. But I likes my amps too much.

I have the QSC CP8. I may look at an RCD HD10 some time and see how much of an upgrade it would be and then if it really is, might buy two for stereo. But the CP8 probably stays UNLESS I find something smaller to use as my stage monitor, which is how I use it now. One channel to CP8, one to the board.

You've got expensive tastes, my friend. When I had fluid assets some years ago, I'd be checking out Sweetwater for the latest gadget. Today, me, sitting with a slice of pie, cuppa tea, sipping quietly during my evening news browbeating session...

Hope to give the tires & wheels place a call Thursday and arrange for an appointment for a new tires swap, alignment and balance. My brother in MN said they got 7+inches snow yesterday/today, with more on the way. Time to put the new tires on the car soon, or be caught with summer tires in snow...:eek:

You've got expensive tastes, my friend. When I had fluid assets some years ago, I'd be checking out Sweetwater for the latest gadget. Today, me, sitting with a slice of pie, cuppa tea, sipping quietly during my evening news browbeating session...

Hope to give the tires & wheels place a call Thursday and arrange for an appointment for a new tires swap, alignment and balance. My brother in MN said they got 7+inches snow yesterday/today, with more on the way. Time to put the new tires on the car soon, or be caught with summer tires in snow...:eek:

Nah, not really. I like nice things, but very much in a “middle income” bracket. I don’t buy new PRS guitars on a whim. I am however glad that they have new great models in the S2 range that fall well into the “affordable” range for most players, and SE models that are even cheaper and still very nice. For most of my life, I’d have been ecstatic with my Mira and NF3, which are lower priced core models. And I’d love to try your S2!

Nah, not really. I like nice things, but very much in a “middle income” bracket. I don’t buy new PRS guitars on a whim. I am however glad that they have new great models in the S2 range that fall well into the “affordable” range for most players, and SE models that are even cheaper and still very nice. For most of my life, I’d have been ecstatic with my Mira and NF3, which are lower priced core models. And I’d love to try your S2!

My S2 is a decent guitar and covers the bases for my needs. In recently years I've downgraded or sought more cost-effective solutions that are budget-friendly, simply because with a limited income it isn't always easy to find disposable income for luxury items. (That nice piece of jewelry your wife or Mom desired, but you spent it on a stand mixer instead... for example).

The truth is folks are very budget conscious these days and try to make money most any way they can. Some work an honest day's wage, others live off their investments, others have to beg, borrow, or steal in order to survive. I'm personally happy to say that I'm content with my lot in life but wouldn't turn down some financial help if it were provided no-strings-attached. (Pardon my phrasing, what I meant to say is a stimulus check would be a welcome thing (moderators plz use your discretion)). The check would go towards replacing my apartment wall mount AC, which is on its last legs and is not owned by management. Am hoping to replace the AC if the "eagle crows on Friday", as it were. Otherwise, I'll need to find a way to scrape up the funds for the AC and installation. (Probably will need both kidneys later in life; the AC has a few more years in it, but you can tell it has seen better days)

My SE HBII Piezo was financed by my dipping mildly into my IRA, along with some eBay sales and savings. The S2 happened in 2018 after I sold my 2010 Taylor 714ce to a new owner who had been looking for an older model Taylor. Reverb had a good deal regards the S2 that no one was biting on, so some messages back and forth to reassure its cosmetic and structural condition, and the S2 was mine. Gotta say for a used piece she's in excellent condition, no mods or swaps; only thing I did was intonate and perform a set-up.

2 years later, the HeadRush filled a need that would have required buying extra effects and/or amps. For cost-effectiveness, the Gigboard does most all of what I'd want (no gimmes here) and has much more untapped potential I've not tried exploring. Yes, there are some over-the-top effects I'd seldom if ever use, but it's nice to know they're there just in case. Perhaps when the mood beckons I will look into exploring a wider range of amp models, effects and IRs. When time allows. Yet for now, the Gigboard & 2x FRFR108s fulfill my needs as a guitarist.

I would have sold you my core Mira Ltd Edition when I needed the cash some years back. (Gold hardware, MOP pick guard, birds, antique white gloss finish.) Yup, that was a beauty someone got a good deal on (can't recall what replaced it). Have photos of that one (am still wondering why I ever let that one go and why I needed the cash at the time...)

Back