Has PS quality gone up the past few years?

jco5055

On a different forum (you can probably guess which), a user ~ a year ago or so claimed that PS quality has gone up, something along the lines of "current Wood Library and 10 top models equal past PS quality, and current PS quality is a step above." He seemed to be roughly referring to maybe the pandemic to now.

I'm sure there's some users here who have gotten their hands/owned PS from basically now to earlier, as well as Wood library etc. Is there any truth to this? I'm not really in the budget for a PS (I could buy one, but not the best idea haha), but I've played some PS models pre when this guy was referring to, but would love to check out some more recent ones and make a concentrated effort to find some stores with them etc to check them out.

Thanks!

I'm sure there's some users here who have gotten their hands/owned PS from basically now to earlier, as well as Wood library etc. Is there any truth to this?
Only in the sense that there have been upgrades in the hardware and electronics on all USA models. Other than that, I don't think so.

Same with Wood Library. I have had WL models dating from 2018-2023, and I think they've all been of equal quality.

As an example, my 2023 DGT Wood Library model isn't on the same level as my 2014 - 2016 PS models, though it has become my most-played guitar simply because I really like the DGT.

I should add that one big upgrade to Wood Library and all Core and maybe S2 models (at least to my way of thinking) is the nitro finish since 2020 that appears to be the same formula as on most PS models, except for a couple of limited runs that were done in the thin, vintage nitro where PRS said that "weather checking will happen over time."

But the level of hand finish and assembly work on later WL models, while wonderful, isn't at PS grade so far. And that's as should be expected, since a lot more time is lavished on a PS guitar.

I should add that one big upgrade to Wood Library and all Core and maybe S2 models (at least to my way of thinking) is the nitro finish since 2020 that appears to be the same formula as on most PS models, except for a couple of limited runs that were done in the thin, vintage nitro where PRS said that "weather checking will happen over time."

But the level of hand finish and assembly work on later WL models, while wonderful, isn't at PS grade so far. And that's as should be expected, since a lot more time is lavished on a PS guitar.
Would it be fair to say, WL bridges the gap between Core and PS?
Or, is WL more on par with Core 10-top; just, with more select woods?

Would it be fair to say, WL bridges the gap between Core and PS?
Or, is WL more on par with Core 10-top; just, with more select woods?
I would say in some cases, WL can bridge the gap between core and PS, but that is not always the case and it is still just a bridge to PS and not actually a PS! A WL can be as simple as a custom color that the dealer chooses as far as I understand it. For WL runs (must be in blocks of 10), they can choose a lot of things, but don't have to choose them all. Now sometimes, they will use special woods, odd hardware mixes, inlay options that are not available on core and lesser models, etc. In those cases, I think you are bridging the gap, but not completely closing that gap. The reason there is, the PS team and the time they spend on each PS guitar makes a HUGE difference in the final product IMO (and I own a core, a WL and a PS)!

I don't think so.. but I'm a guy that feels the last hey day was like 2008- 2015. Beginning with the 5708 pickups and real estate crash then ending with the anniversary and 8515 pickups. My experience is those were mostly all killer guitars along with innovation as a company.

I don't know how the PS could be any better today than it was when we are so limited in choices. Not that I am legitimately in the market, but I've played a ton. The used ones have never really interested me because they were specd for someone else at a price I wasn't willing to pay. Now I'd be limited on what I can spec new for more than I'm willing to pay, so right back full circle.

As a whole, or blanket statement, 10 tops today aren't what I'd call 10 tops of the past. Still some stellar ones but there were plenty of non tops before that rival and exceed the 10 tops of today. Butnhave to remember grades are made pre stain. I still think some should be downgraded like before or even finished solid for some others that weren't 10 tips to begin with.

WL is a whole different story. That's where it's at for me before PS. You can get some killer wood combos for a steep but fair entry fee. That's me. I'd rather have a regular core or WL over a 10 top or PS of today.

TCI means nothing to me but a new way to market. Non locking tuners, meh, and ok ok, nitro is cool but the finishes of the past have virtues too. Along with downfalls. Really it's all up to each guitar and individual. We all have our opinions and preferences.

So there's a Core assembly line and PS assembly line...
You all figure WL gets handled on a seperate line? Core line?
I would think, processing non-standard woods, not typically seen in the Core line, would require a little more expertise?
IDK... just curious.

I would think, processing non-standard woods, not typically seen in the Core line, would require a little more expertise?
IDK... just curious.
Doubtful. Besides most of the “non-standard” woods Woof Library uses were used on “core” model guitars at one point or another.

I Think The Craftsmanship / Build Quality Has Been The Same For A Long Time. Just Because The Guitar Costs More Doesn't Mean It Is A better Playing Or Sounding Guitar As Each Guitar And Piece Of Wood Is Unique. I Have Played Some Not So Great PS Guitars And Some Over The Moon Amazing Basic Core Models.

I Think It Would Be Great If PRS Really Answered This Thread Topic With A Video Of Processes On The Various Guitars In Question....Core, Wood Library And PS And Talk About And Show The Viewership What The Differences Are If Any.

Maybe Said Video Already Exists? I Just Haven't Seen It But Would Love To If It Indeed Does.

Would it be fair to say, WL bridges the gap between Core and PS? Or, is WL more on par with Core 10-top; just, with more select woods?
As to build quality, it's a Core guitar with dealer-spec'd custom features and woods. Depending on the trim it can be fancier and more like the Artist Package stuff, but it's still a Core, as were the Artist Package guitars of which I had quite a few.

That is not a knock -- Core PRS guitars are fantastic guitars, IMHO. The Core stuff put PRS on the map and keeps them there.

There have, however, been special-run models that I think might be described as a step up from Core, but not at PS level. The Artist I-V models, The Signature Limited, the Teds, Dirty 100s, etc., come to mind, and I'm sure there are others people will point out.

My former Artist II, Artist V, and Signature Limited seemed to me like they met an in-between level.

IDK... just curious.
What I have heard (and I could be wrong but I am not making it up, just passing on what I have read) is that the WL's are produced just like a core, but with whatever variations the dealer had spec'd. Some things that can't be done on the Core line (like some non-standard inlays, knob/electronic configurations, etc.) force some WL's to get sent to the PS shop for those specific features and then return to the Core line for any additional assembly. There is no "WL production line" that I am aware of.

As to build quality, it's a Core guitar with dealer-spec'd custom features and woods.
Not a knock but that's more or less what a PS is to me these days. Let's be honest once at core level the craftsmanship doesn't get much better. Sure different person doing the work, woods, and/or appointments but the build quality is there through the lines. People didn't start calling PS trash when Knaggs left.

Truth is my Cu24 10top is one of the finest guitars I've ever played and there's been a PS or two I couldn't put down fast enough. Hell, there was a certain guitar of the month I went to go demo that was my dream guitar on paper, but I left without it. Only to go back a few days later to buy a special run that sadly had been sold. I stand by it's all about each guitar and the individual above all else.

I’ve got five PRS… an SE, S2, CE, Core, and a Special. All made in the last six or seven years, with the exception of the core, which is a 2012.. I don’t see a difference in quality across the, though the complexity of the build is reflective of the price.

Not a knock but that's more or less what a PS is to me these days. Let's be honest once at core level the craftsmanship doesn't get much better.
I am being honest when I say my PS models are a significant step up in tone and playability. This isn't something I have to think twice about. It's instantly apparent on playing them.

Sure different person doing the work, woods, and/or appointments but the build quality is there through the lines. People didn't start calling PS trash when Knaggs left.
The Core and limited runs like the Artist II and Artist V, are the finest production guitars I've ever played or owned, and have been since 1991 when I started playing PRS.

But the person doing the work matters, which is why people spend big bucks on hand crafted guitars like Olsons and many others. It's why people swear by certain Fender custom shop builders.

And the person choosing the wood for the guitars matters (the PS team chose the wood for my limited run PS electrics; the wood for the acoustic was chosen by my dealer and Paul R. Smith).

[edit]

Anyone can learn to write a song. But not everyone can write a great song. What's the difference? Talent, a knack for it, call it what you will.

Anyone can put paint on canvas. Yet great painters are few and far between.

It's the same with making guitars. All the machines do is cut the wood. In every other step from soup to nuts, the person doing the work, and the time lavished on the project, matters. The smallest details add up.

Do I still think my WL DGT is the cat's ass? You bet. It's a wonderfully lively guitar, and it sounds great. To have my PS models be even more? I mean, that's the way it is.

Last edited:
I am being honest when I say my PS models are a significant step up in tone and playability. This isn't something I have to think twice about. It's instantly apparent on playing them.
I don't doubt for a second you're being honest. Key part there is "my PS". My Cu24 is that way. It's not limited to PS at this level. It's on each guitar, player, and whatever other magic dust in the Marlyland air.

I'm being honest when I say there's been some PS level I've played that was like finding out Santa Claus wasn't real. Maybe someone else loved em? Maybe that's why they were for sale? I don't know but man was it bummer. Then there's that special release I kick myself all the time for being a dumbass and not snatching up. I occasionally even search for it like the girl that got away.

But the person doing the work matters, which is why people spend big bucks on hand crafted guitars like Olsons and many others. It's why people swear by certain Fender custom shop builders.
I agree the person doing the work matters. But it's not something that's cornered in the PS department in Maryland. There's talent throughout the building.

And the person choosing the wood for the guitars matters (the PS team chose the wood for my limited run PS electrics; the wood for the acoustic was chosen by my dealer and Paul R. Smith).
I agree wood matters. Big time! That's been proven to me time and time again, but in the end it's the sum of all parts. I go shopping for the ingredients for dinner all the time. I don't ever think it was my shopping skills that made that dish delicious.. and sometimes the same dinner isn't always the same even though the same people bought and prepared it.

Anyone can learn to write a song. But not everyone can write a great song. What's the difference? Talent, a knack for it, call it what you will.

Anyone can put paint on canvas. Yet great painters are few and far between.
Great examples. We don't all like the same art. Heck, I don't like all the art from the artists I do like. Yet, they are still art. That's all I'm saying. We at a level of art or craftsmanship that the differences are subtle and they aren't guaranteed to be better for everyone everytime. That simple.

After all that Yada Yada.. My top 3 guitars are a Cu24 10 top, Limited KL33, and a one off finish Tremonti. Hmmm.. see a trend?

Last edited:
I would say no. Their nitro is too soft, causes issues. Their cheaping out on tuners with those silly new style ones. Lots of guitars not coming with locking tuners anymore. Just little things as the prices have sky rocketed to 200% higher than they used to be only a few years back. PRS is going down a dangerous road and I'm one of their biggest fans in a city where every guitarist is still stuck on gibson/Fender ..... although I have converted many but now it's near impossible to justify with prices so high.

as the prices have sky rocketed to 200% higher than they used to be only a few years back. PRS is going down a dangerous road
PRS isn't the only one guilty of being so 2020.. The covid supply/demand spikes aren't sustainable. I don't think any of us have the solution yet, but it's not just PRS that's due for a correction. I actually think they've started a shift to address the issue with more and more se releases, regular sales, and more importantly the improvements to the S2 line.

I will say at my suburban home the essentials.. food, shelter, and transportation are adjusting. Some slowly and others quicker.. Let's hope luxury goods follow.

Back