Hard tail VS hard tail

If using some different tunings and string gauges, the adjustable stoptail on PRS gives you the most adjustment. Not only do you have the individual saddles to adjust like on a tune o matic style, you have the 2 set screws on the studs if you need to bring the whole bridge or 1/2 of it to compensate. I go as heavy as a .60 for a low C or B.

I have a guitar in B F# B G B E with 60, 52, 36, 17, 13, 10 with the PRS adjustable stoptail. Also my normal drop C with 60 52 36 18 14 11 gauge. Both intonate properly.

Basic physics says that a fixed tailpiece bridge cannot possibly be in tune for standard and drop tuning. That's why you see professionals with various guitars set up for one tuning only. Given that the fixed bridge is calibrated for 9's or 10's, it ain't goona be pretty to my ears if you drop tune. The one piece does have some leeway for all the strings at once, but not for a set of 10's with a heavier low E. Adjustable would then be the way to go. I put Schroeder boat tail adjustable bridges on my 25" scale fixed bridge guitars.

Back