Hans O'Matic Archtop Pickups - Installed w/Pics !

DogPhishHead

As some of you may remember, Hans O'Matic graciously gave away a set of PRS Arch Top pickups a few weeks ago. Well, this morning (as the family slept), I fired up the soldiering iron and set up shop (on top of the washing machine - yeah, I know...high tech !) along with a mug of Tim Horton's java.

My PRS SE Zach Myers had the stock SE 245 Humbuckers that I had brushed nickel covers added a year ago for the cosmetic value.
yJhE6ZC.jpg

So, let's start the operation...

x6HRUKq.jpg

Nice, neat PRS control cavity

Pulled the stock pups and took measurements for those who like this stuff. Neck was 7.94K and the Bridge (pictured below) was a whopping 10.35K.
xk9UNlk.jpg

Before installing the PRS Arch Top pups, I measured them for reference. Neck is 6.38K and the Bridge 7.21K
MiyIzs6.jpg

The painter's tape is useful to secure the tailpiece studs from rotating and F'in up my action while I flip the guitar over.

And a fresh set of strings (not my first choice, but it was the only set of .010s in the house this morning)
KV8GFIa.jpg

And a finally, a pic of the ZM with my rig (my Fender 50s tele is hiding on the guitar stand)
5LGN890.jpg

Ok...sound...WOW, what a difference. So much more articulation between the strings. The bass strings have a real definition now and no mud on the low E and the treble bite on the high E is gone. Just a world of difference in mids, more open.

I adjusted to the PRS standard specs for pickup height (5/64ths on the high E and 3/32nds on the low E) as a starting point. Ended up tweaking the bridge a touch higher and the neck a quarter turn lower. The guitar sound so much better with the TS9 and the Mesa's drive channel (I've got it dialed to a dumble like lead tone). Overall, I'm far closer to Trey Anastasio's tone than I was with the stock SE245 humbuckers. Again, articulation is the key here, more open mids and less bass mud.

Now if I didn't have a list of honey do items today, I'd be playing the guitar a lot this morning.

Thanks Hans !! Greatly appreciate the "gift".

Nicely done.

Does the Tim's mean you are in Canada? Or just one of the border areas we are leaking through.

I'm just North of Pittsburgh (Penguin territory !). I buy Timmy Ho beans at Sam's Club. We have a few of their stores further North of me (Erie area) that I've been to. Wish he had them around PGH.

I'm just North of Pittsburgh (Penguin territory !). I buy Timmy Ho beans at Sam's Club. We have a few of their stores further North of me (Erie area) that I've been to. Wish he had them around PGH.

So, like Edinboro way? My wife tells my son and I every year that we need to referee the soccer tournament up there so she can go to Erie while we run our nuts off.

Nice outcome Phish and a shout out to Hans for a very nice gesture! That is what these forums are all about.

Back