Greatest AMERICAN Rock & Roll Band? Go!

I"m originally from the UK and not many American bands really made it in a massive way in the UK. I'm having a really hard time coming up with anything but The Doors and Guns N Roses lol. EVH and Kiss just weren't household names back home in the 80's when NWOBHM, and older bands like Queen, Deep Purple, Rolling Stones and The Who among many others to contend with. I first heard about EVH in Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure. First song I heard was Jump as the backing track to some outdoor event on childrens TV. Back then ACDC, Iron Maiden. Black Sabbath and Judas Priest were king. Even Led Zeppelin didn't really hit it off back home in the UK. Queen is the top selling band with top spot for most sold album and Um surprisingly Meatloaf easily outsold Led Zeppelin.

If Michael Jackson was Rock then he came second after Queen. Guns and Roses were probably the most successful rock band from America that I grew up with. Bat Out Of Hell seems to be the biggest selling American Rock album in the UK.

Last edited:
I started in the era of The Ventures, The Kingsmen, Booker T and the MGs, Motown bands that kicked BOOTY, etc.

I love Tom Petty’s work. The Eagles were awesome. ABB, to die for. What about R.E.M., the Seattle bands, Jefferson Airplane, the other Southern rock bands; I could go on and on.

You got a funk band better than P-Funk? How about Prince’s work?

This is, let’s face it, an impossible question to answer, unless your very own son released a record you love. ;)

In which case, your answer would be obvious.

The Ramones: The Ramones took the Beach Boys, scrapped the harmonies and added an adrenaline rush of speed and power to rekindle the original spirit of rock ’n’ roll and usher in the punk revolution of the ’70s. They were too much ahead of their time (or were they behind it?) for radio to catch on. With a little help, the hits would have been endless and the Ramones, to most people, would be more than “hey-ho, let’s go!” and a cool T-shirt.

Pearl Jam has to be in the running. Nearly 27 years since their debut and have been consistently active recording and touring.

Also, Van Hagar is the best Van Halen!

The greatest active band is Govt. Mule. Nobody kicks like the Mule.

The greatest underappreciated band is NRBQ, but nobody knows about them.

As far as range and styles go, the Grateful Dead were the epitome of a great American rock band. Americana, psychedelic, blues, folk, experimental, traditional, and of course, rock and roll.

For a while at least , as Les said, Southern Rock was Rock & Roll to me - so pick any of the great ones - Allman Brothers, Lynard Skynard, Marshall Tucker, Johnny Winter (especially his Live CD) etc

Lots of great selections in this thread.

I had a great idea for an SNL skit. Remember when Eddie Murphy did "Buttwheat Sings The Blues?" They should have had Tracy Morgan do "Mushmouth Sings Pearl Jam"

Back