99.1 WHFS

rcsrich

Commonwealth Stooge
So...I was looking at NGD pictures, including one of the bottom of a pickup, and "HFS" started bouncing around my brain. Why was that so familiar? Then, suddenly I was an awkward mid-80s teenager again, listening to one of my favorite radio stations, 99.1 WHFS, lovingly referred to as "HFS" by fans.

Any good memories from other DC-area folks of this fantastic alternative rock station? The Cure, The Smiths, Squeeze...those were the days. :)

So...I was looking at NGD pictures, including one of the bottom of a pickup, and "HFS" started bouncing around my brain. Why was that so familiar? Then, suddenly I was an awkward mid-80s teenager again, listening to one of my favorite radio stations, 99.1 WHFS, lovingly referred to as "HFS" by fans.

Any good memories from other DC-area folks of this fantastic alternative rock station? The Cure, The Smiths, Squeeze...those were the days. :)
It is amazing how our youthful interactions with radio stations can be so special, especially back when they were the only conduits for new music. I recall back in the late 60's when WEBN in Cincinnati had the show "Jelly Pudding" at night, and were playing all of the new music from S.F. .... no three minute limits but whole new albums.

So while I don't know your station and our experiences were twenty years apart, I can understand your memory glow. Good post.

It is amazing how our youthful interactions with radio stations can be so special, especially back when they were the only conduits for new music. I
We didn't have radio when I was a boy. But that didn't matter because music hadn't been invented yet.

We got our news from the Cave Crier until he got eaten by a sabre toothed tiger. In fact, he's still probably in the La Brea Tar Pit.

Listened to HFS quite a bit when I worked in DC. Not alternative, and love him or hate him, but DC101 also. He had me shaking my head in disbelief at 6:30 in the morning on my commute to work :oops:

IMG-0576.jpg

I assumed pickups called HFS were not coincidental. I remember an HFStival being one of my first concerts
Huh- I never considered it could be a direct reference, but I guess it's possible given the location of the PRS production over the years.

Listened to HFS quite a bit when I worked in DC. Not alternative, and love him or hate him, but DC101 also. He had me shaking my head in disbelief at 6:30 in the morning on my commute to work :oops:

IMG-0576.jpg
Oh yeah - between DC 101 and HFS, I had my classic rock and alternative rock covered. The Greaseman... that takes me back. Talk about NSFW...

Huh- I never considered it could be a direct reference, but I guess it's possible given the location of the PRS production over the years.

Depends if your three letter abbreviation meant - Hot Fat Screams

But now I’ve typed that out, depending on your inflection, it could be interpreted as a bit naughty.

Oh heck they had a pickup called a Deep Dish II as well :eek:

It is amazing how our youthful interactions with radio stations can be so special, especially back when they were the only conduits for new music. I recall back in the late 60's when WEBN in Cincinnati had the show "Jelly Pudding" at night, and were playing all of the new music from S.F. .... no three minute limits but whole new albums.

So while I don't know your station and our experiences were twenty years apart, I can understand your memory glow. Good post.
I remember specifically waiting for Sunday nights on EBN because they’d play a new album every Sunday night. You’d always know through the week who it was going to be, and boy of it was anyone we liked we did not miss it!

Back