Given the prices of core models, no customer should be receiving an otherwise beautiful & meticulously crafted guitar w/ white, plastic t-buttons 😒

I find it pretty funny that the OP makes a clearly-divisive thread with strong words towards the company, probably knowing that it's going to cause banter. Then dips out after the start of the conversation to watch everybody go back and forth for four pages.

Instigator behavior. 🤣

Instigator behavior. 🤣
“An instigator of an altercation shall be a player who by his actions or demeanor demonstrates any/some of the following criteria: distance traveled; gloves off first; first punch thrown; menacing attitude or posture; verbal instigation or threats; conduct in retaliation to a prior game (or season) incident; obvious ...”

:p:D

Unless PRS puts banjo-style tuners on their guitars, I'm OK with whatever they use as long as it is ergonomic enough to achieve tuning.

My PG and (after a tuner change) SE HBII Piezo have locking tuners. I really like the convenience. I had a Core HBII Piezo with locking tuners, but I was intrigued by the greater tonal variety of the McCarty 594 HB II, pickup splits and volume knobs for each pickup. So I found a local one last Fall, made in 2023. It has the white plastic, almost shield-shaped buttons on vintage tuners that I think started on this model in 2022(?). I was somewhat wary about losing the locking tuners and thought I could change them if I wanted. At the same time, I actually find the white plastic buttons very visually appealing. I have had no issues with the lack of locking tuners after I learned the trick* of just pulling the string back for one fret's worth, bending the string at the tuner, and tightening the string with the wraps below the tuner hole. Very stable and only a little bit more effort than the locking tuners.

Surprised no one has posted this, the PRS explanation of the new buttons:

"For 2024, PRS Guitars is updating the tuning machines on many of our Core guitars. While, aesthetically, our new Wing buttons are designed to echo the 12th fret bird wingspan design, they were first and foremost designed for tonal reasons all the way back in 1982. Because these buttons are lighter weight than their metal predecessors, they are subtracting less energy from the vibrating strings, thus helping the guitar ring longer and at a more musical note."

I finally decided to look at this thread today.

I must say, the entertainment value of reading
the preceding 66 posts in one sitting is very high indeed.

A heartfelt thank you to all who have participated so far.
We may be nought more than nano vibrations in an infinite reality no homo sapien can comprehend, but as guitarists our vibrations, well they just feel good! 😁

Let me be the first to proudly post a photo of said offender.
Tr31018.jpeg

We may be nought more than nano vibrations in an infinite reality no homo sapien can comprehend, but as guitarists our vibrations, well they just feel good! 😁

Tr31018.jpeg

What I WILL say is that I find these new PRS tuner head shapes very ugly. They look clunky and too large for the headstock. The "white" (ivory/cream actually) and "plastic" parts don't bother me, but they're so large they look like clown shoes on the PRS headstock. Paul is wrong.

I don't know that I've seen every word in a sentence get capitalized like that before. My eyes do not approve.

What are we talking about it? My TikTok brain can't read long posts anymore.

I don't know that I've seen every word in a sentence get capitalized like that before. My eyes do not approve.

What are we talking about it? My TikTok brain can't read long posts anymore.

"cheap" plastic tuner heads on "expensive" Core models.

Tr31018.jpeg
I must admit, I'm not a fan of these and do think the previous 'metal' buttons actually 'look' more Premium. However, its not something that I would consider a 'deal breaker' for buying. Locking Tuners too are often seen as a 'Premium' upgrade, but you don't see those used on High End Gibson, Fender etc models.

Whilst they maybe also meant to resemble the 12th fret Eagle wings, unless you are told, it's not that obvious. They maybe should be Etched to look more like wings.

I know that when PRS switched to 'Vintage' tuners for the McCarty models, If I couldn't find one with Locking Tuners, I'd have bought a set to replace them as I would argue that the benefits to me outweigh any 'tonal' variation. However, I don't know that I'd swap the buttons as they don't add any extra functionality. The difference between locking and non-locking can be easily felt on every string change for example but buttons tend to function the same.

I'd love to see the test results from PRS guitars - how they compared and analysed the results. I'd like to know how they tested and what real world difference it makes.

The real question is whether you believe in what PRSh says or not. It might be a hidden cost cut strategy, but given Paul's track record of innovation, I for one believe it's a legitimate search for evolution. Haven't played one with the new tuners yet, but I suppose they might provide some sort of improvement.

The real question is whether you believe in what PRSh says or not. It might be a hidden cost cut strategy, but given Paul's track record of innovation, I for one believe it's a legitimate search for evolution. Haven't played one with the new tuners yet, but I suppose they might provide some sort of improvement.
I agree with this, it seems he's been prescribing wooden tuner buttons on the Private stocks. At first I was worried about them breaking lol. After owning them for a few years they are solid. I'm sure he used wood to reduce mass which also enhanced the look.

I suppose if you are trying to do the standard run of core models using wood would get kinda crazy. So I see this as a step of evolution of the core models. I like the new tuners on some guitars and others not as much.

If I bought a guitar and the tuner buttons bothered me enough, I'd just buy some wooden ones.

Back