Getting A Handle On The DG 30 Custom Amp

Due to the GASeous discussions here, I feel compelled to compare the DG50 with the Super Dallas. Not that I'm interested in changing, but I'm curious. There isn't anything to compare with the DG30 (it's its own unique animal without peer), but the 50 is different. Hmm...

It would be so cool if Doug or Jeff from the amp department would come around here to geek out. :cool:

Due to the GASeous discussions here, I feel compelled to compare the DG50 with the Super Dallas. Not that I'm interested in changing, but I'm curious. There isn't anything to compare with the DG30 (it's its own unique animal without peer), but the 50 is different. Hmm...

It would be so cool if Doug or Jeff from the amp department would come around here to geek out. :cool:

I'm wondering what the heck the DG50 is, too! Not that I'm in the market for an amp, but people ask me about this or that model, and usually my answer is, "I have no idea, I've only ever tried the ones I have!"

I'd love to try all of the PRS amp models. And it'd be cool if the amp department guys hung out here occasionally, too.

I'm wondering what the heck the DG50 is, too! Not that I'm in the market for an amp, but people ask me about this or that model, and usually my answer is, "I have no idea, I've only ever tried the ones I have!"

I'd love to try all of the PRS amp models. And it'd be cool if the amp department guys hung out here occasionally, too.

That is why I read everything posted by Aristotle. He has just about every amp I've ever considered buying. His observations are always succinct and well written. Throw in some vids and he is a one stop encyclopedia of real world amp knowledge.

That is why I read everything posted by Aristotle. He has just about every amp I've ever considered buying. His observations are always succinct and well written. Throw in some vids and he is a one stop encyclopedia of real world amp knowledge.

One of the guys that certainly delivers the goods when well thought and written reviews are requested...and videos...double winning.

Yeah, he's a super guy, too!

But I don't think he has a DG50.

Yet.

Yeah...that Aristotle is just peachy... Too darn bad he can't play worth a darn :)

Wow, I go away for a couple of days and people start saying nice things behind my back! Kidding aside, thanks guys...

And sorry to disappoint, but no DG50s currently planned.... Though come to think of it, it's been said of the 50 that it's easier to gig ironically.

No secrets but was hopeful that our subliminal peer pressure might coerce Aristotle into discovering his burning desire for a DG50. :biggrin: It would look really bitchin' underneath that DG30. :rock:

Yeah...that Aristotle is just peachy... Too darn bad he can't play worth a darn :).

I dunno, Aristotle, based on your clips I think you're being way too hard on yourself! I'm hearing very well-played stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if the DG50 is easier to gig; the DG30 is less compressed than my HXDA 50, and subjectively "feels" louder because it has greater dynamic range. I often have to control my DG30 with a compressor pedal just to keep from going deaf.

One thing I'm noticing is that the DG is starting to break in a bit, and I'm discovering different ways to dial it in to get the kinds of tones I like. I set its controls very differently than I do with, say, the HXDA. It's an interesting amp with a lot of different things to explore.

And...what's that you say? You'll have to speak up, I can't hear you.

Last edited:
No secrets but was hopeful that our subliminal peer pressure might coerce Aristotle into discovering his burning desire for a DG50. :biggrin: It would look really bitchin' underneath that DG30. :rock:

Well, I do have to pick up a few sets of strings today. I'm just hoping that Chuck Levin's doesn't have a DG50 sitting around to try out!

I dunno, Aristotle, based on your clips I think you're being way too hard on yourself! I'm hearing very well-played stuff.

Well, thanks! Not meaning to sandbag myself at all. I have a pretty good sense as to where I fit in, and for the limited amount of effort I put into it, I'm pretty happy with being able to pull off the gig stuff I do. But still though, look at the recent shootout video that Richard Lainegard posted (or the tracks you post, or what Boogie recently posted) and...well...gives me something to shoot for anyway. Actually, that's one of the reasons I like to post videos accompanying my comments. I think that it helps people calibrate comments and reviews knowing the relative level of proficiency of the commenter. Not that a better player always is in a better position to voice an opinion, and not that a worse player can't provide good insight. .

...I like to post videos accompanying my comments. I think that it helps people calibrate comments and reviews...
Yes, I appreciate that, too. Not so much to show proficiency, but to show their approach and musical tastes. If I'm cranking out the most awesome Steve Stevens riffs and someone is pursuing BB King, it may not exactly be a match.

Don't worry, I won't be posting videos of either one of those anytime soon. :)

Back