General questions - New to owning an older PRS

StackX

Stack
Hi all,

I have a few questions I was hoping some of you experts might be able to help with.
I’m just trying to figure out more about my 1996 PRS custom 24.
I understand replacement Phase 1 tuners are hard to come by these days, are there good replacements without having to modify the guitar much or at all?
I’m not sure what generation the Trem is. It was gold at one time but has mostly warn away. If I was interested in replacing the bridge will any PRS generation fit or is there a specific generation that should be used?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Photos of your PRS would help us help you. Plus we all love pics of guitars here.

There’s a lot of knowledge here.

@sergiodeblanc is our resident phase 1 tuner expert.

As far as bridges go, depending on the age of your PRS, you might want to keep it original and there are options there.

Did I say we like pictures, haha.

Happy New Year to you.

Regarding the tuners, there are usually some used sets available on Reverb. You can also get replacements, both winged and other drop-in (only need to unscrew the old and screw in the new) tuners at John Mann's Guitar Vault. He also has trem bridges available. I think 1996 would be the second generation but not positive. Others here will know, as will John Mann if you contact him. I think the first and second generation are interchangeable. Not sure about any after those.

At some point before the prior owner of my guitar purchased it in 2016, it was apparently worked on by John Mann or so the previous owner said. However, during its life changing hands with many owners in many states from New Hampshire to Illinois then to me in Florida, the tuning machines have become worn and pitted. I’d like to find original if I can

Some sets on Reverb, but I’m guessing you’ve probably seen them -

As you can see there’s a variety in price.

I thought the first set were over priced, but who knows.

I’m no expert, but I’m guessing the guy in Italy is hoping.

Some sets on Reverb, but I’m guessing you’ve probably seen them -

As you can see there’s a variety in price.

I thought the first set were over priced, but who knows.

I’m no expert, but I’m guessing the guy in Italy is hoping.
The first two listings would not be a straight swap. They are the later smaller bodied Gotoh phase I. The Schaller are larger and have a different screw arrangement with the D and G tuners sharing a screw, I have a recollection that the diameter of the holes through headstock are not the same for the Schaller and Gotoh too but that could be my mind tricking me.

The first two listings would not be a straight swap. They are the later smaller bodied Gotoh phase I. The Schaller are larger and have a different screw arrangement with the D and G tuners sharing a screw, I have a recollection that the diameter of the holes through headstock are not the same for the Schaller and Gotoh too but that could be my mind tricking me.

Every day is a school day. Thanks.

Back