Fretboard Conditioner

The commercially available 'lemon oil' conditioners are really mineral oil with some lemon scent. DO NOT USE ACTUAL LEMON OIL.

I use some https://www.crimsonguitars.com/store/fretboard-cleaner-restorative/ because it came in nice metal bottles and I wanted to support Ben because he's a character and have learned a ton about guitar construction from his videos over the years.

The word from the PTC

A good local guitar tech/repair guy told me to use naphtha if it’s quite dirty, and for the oil he uses Circa 1850 lemon oil in his shop.

I like in that video, how the PTC guy mentioned if you play it lots it won’t really need oil. I think many run the mistake of having too much rather than not enough.

The Les Paul forum swears by Fret Doctor and based on the intensity and frequency of their recommendations I bought a bottle as almost all of my guitars have rosewood fretboards. It is essentially just rebranded clarinet bore oil, but it performs extremely well and absolutely will darken a rosewood fretboard that's a little light/dry. I've also used the Kaiser fretboard conditioner with good results, but much prefer the Fret Doctor. A small bottle is pretty much a lifetime supply.

Back