fret buzz

captdg

I have had my Bernie for 8 months now, has the std stoptail. Have had a pro do the setup twice but still getting fret buzz on the E string above the 10th fret and some on the A string above the 12th but not as bad.. Is this normal..Could the frets be too high? Please help.. Im not going to mess with it until I get some solid advice...

How hard do you strike the strings? All normally set up electrics will buzz, acoustically, if you hit them hard. Do you hear the buzz when amped?

not normal. I know the USA PRS is pretty hard to beat with frets being level but even with my boys SE singlecut I am thinking of taking up to dealer to have a light fret level done. it is not that expensive to get a fret level done especially if the frets are still in good shape. Even on a TYaylor 814CE with in 2 years I had to do a light level. I will tell you if the tech knows what they are doing it is worth its weight in gold!

I have had my Bernie for 8 months now, has the std stoptail. Have had a pro do the setup twice but still getting fret buzz on the E string above the 10th fret and some on the A string above the 12th but not as bad.. Is this normal..Could the frets be too high? Please help.. Im not going to mess with it until I get some solid advice...
Unless you play enough to wear your frets down, I'd evaluate the action first. Loosen the strings, turn both stud screws counter-clockwise a quarter turn, tune it back up, and see if it gets better. If not, try another quarter turn.

Get yourself a metal rule and some feeler guages Capt and check the action at the 12th and the clearance with the string pressed down at the first and last frets. Compare it with the specs for PRS and see if you're out of whack. You may have a harder touch which requires the action being raised or it needs a setup again.

Get yourself a metal rule and some feeler guages Capt and check the action at the 12th and the clearance with the string pressed down at the first and last frets. Compare it with the specs for PRS and see if you're out of whack. You may have a harder touch which requires the action being raised or it needs a setup again.

okay... I think this is something Im going to need to learn to do myself.. It just looks so easy on the vids. Its like the strings are dead above the 12th fret.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;55136 said:
Unless you play enough to wear your frets down, I'd evaluate the action first. Loosen the strings, turn both stud screws counter-clockwise a quarter turn, tune it back up, and see if it gets better. If not, try another quarter turn.

Hey..That worked pretty good...

I had the same problem develop last week... I did everything to try to correct it and couldnt and I mean everything.. then I put the silly guitar back to the factory settings... loosened all the strings and then pushed down on the back of the Stop-Tail and overtightened the 2 e strings and then the other strings (IMPORTANT- WHILST holding pressure down on the back of the bleeding stop-tail).......

I noticed that the bloody stop tail pushes forward due to the downward pressure of the strings and creates a downslope towards the nut with resultant fret buzz on the E, A and sometimes D and G. Because the stop tail screws have GAPS in front of the stoptail, the bloody thing wants to rock forward (I seem to recall Mike Garvey or someone in another post talking about this)......... I got to the point at one stage where I had to put a HUGE bow in the neck via the truss rod and the stop tail height to stop my fret buzz... I even tried 12 gauge strings and messing with the NUT etc.... made the thing impossible to play properly.....

Nope all it was is a simple design flaw in the bridge construction... try THIS......

1. Just loosen your strings.
2. Push on the back of the stop tail and whilst holding it in place overtighten your strings
3. Turn the 2 stop tail screws 1/2 turn CLOCKWISE against the bridge to tighten and hold the dodgy stop tail piece in place.
4. Tune your guitar and lower or raise the stop tail to your preferred settings or the factory settings...

Retune

Presto, fret buzz gone (well unless of course your neck is bowed or action crazy low)

:rock:

Last edited:
Back