Floyd

I was always happy with the Edge trems on the several Ibanez guitars I've had over the years.

If I cave on one of those new JIVAs, I expect I’ll be happy with the Edge trem as well.

I thought this desire for a Floyd might go away after a week but I still kinda want one. Custom 24 floyd with a satin maple neck would top the list but there’s no way I’d spend that money for something I doubt I’d use much. A Dustie CE 24 would be next, but again, probably not gonna get that spendy. Torero has me slightly intrigued with the neck thru design for this type of guitar but would need to get my hands on one to see how the flat fretboard radius would sit with me. Oh, I pretty much hate EMG’s though. The newer SE Floyd would probably feel most comfortable in my hands.

I thought this desire for a Floyd might go away after a week but I still kinda want one. Custom 24 floyd with a satin maple neck would top the list but there’s no way I’d spend that money for something I doubt I’d use much. A Dustie CE 24 would be next, but again, probably not gonna get that spendy. Torero has me slightly intrigued with the neck thru design for this type of guitar but would need to get my hands on one to see how the flat fretboard radius would sit with me. Oh, I pretty much hate EMG’s though. The newer SE Floyd would probably feel most comfortable in my hands.

I couldn't bond with the Torero, but I did have an SE CU24 Floyd that was killer. I swapped the bridge for a German OFR with a brass block and it was beastly. I enjoyed that one a lot - especially on gigs. In all honesty, if I could do it again, I'd get another SE Floyd and not have bought the DW CE.

Maybe I was locking too hard, but I’d get a little notch in the string.

Yes, I've locked it too hard in the past and still never had bad notches in the strings. From what I've read, over tightening them is a very common mistake.

I am missing a 'Floyd' in my collection and wouldn't mind adding a Fire Red Burst Custom 24 to my collection. Seems that the 'Floyd' is rare -

That would be a BEAUT! I've often wanted the exact same thing.

But none of the fun of the Brad Gillis gurgles! Oh how I hurt my hip trying to do that with a guitar that didn’t float well when I was younger. And thinner.

There are multiple advantages to the decked Floyd. This is the one down side. No flurgles, gurgles and wiggly waggles. (All 80s terms. Look them up)

I thought this desire for a Floyd might go away after a week but I still kinda want one. Custom 24 floyd with a satin maple neck would top the list but there’s no way I’d spend that money for something I doubt I’d use much. A Dustie CE 24 would be next, but again, probably not gonna get that spendy.

I've had and played Floyds for years and I really like them, especially when decked. I've often wanted a C24 Floyd, but the DW has really caught my eye, with it's satin maple neck, and especially now that they come in gloss body finish (love satin necks, not so much satin bodies). I think this is the one you want. Not saying anything negative about the CE24 Floyd, and honestly have looked for one to try out for years. But all PRS Floyd guitars are rare. Maybe Hans demographic threads explain that a bit. LOL But if you want one, and want a real rocker, the DW looks like the one to get. IF I ever play one, I'll weigh in. It's one of those that I promise myself that if I ever see one, I'm giving it a thorough try, even though I fear the results...

That said... my Axis kicks all kinds of behind... heck, my Peavey Wolfgang is a great rock guitar, but sits after getting the Axis. Meaning, I need to sell it. I'm sure if I played a DW, I'd be selling a few guitars quickly. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to only play floyd guitars back in the day. Got real tired of the string change BS.

Got away from them 20 years ago but a couple years ago I bought a used torero.

Switched all the electronics to prs USA complete with 5 way blade and dragon 1 pickups.

Hated the floyd on it mostly because there was play in the trem arm socket and I could feel it every time I used the floyd.

Sold the guitar and took a beating on it.

I couldn't bond with the Torero, but I did have an SE CU24 Floyd that was killer. I swapped the bridge for a German OFR with a brass block and it was beastly. I enjoyed that one a lot - especially on gigs. In all honesty, if I could do it again, I'd get another SE Floyd and not have bought the DW CE.
What difference did the bridge make?

That’s interesting. I figured the DW CE would be the beast.

Totally with you, bud. Like others here, I like the Edge that’s on the old JS1200 just fine and see why Satch uses it.

When at Sweetwater a few years ago buying a bunch of gear, I came >this< close to pulling the trigger on a demo Torero. If it didn’t have the EMGs, it would be on my wall. When checking it out again at Gearfest, 11Top shot me the “who are you?” look.

What difference did the bridge make?

The base plate and knife edges are nicer, in my experience - especially if you use the bridge a lot. The brass block instead of a steel block improves sustain and the midrange from what I can hear. Even with the DW CE, swapping out the FR1000 with the steel block for the German Floyd with the brass block made a HUGE difference. That guitar, with the 57/08s, has a girth that is very surprising. The lower mids are meatier than it was in the stock configuration with the FR1000 and Mojotone pickups.

That’s interesting. I figured the DW CE would be the beast.

The bolt-on neck loses something that the set-neck offers. The DW is nice, but the SE holds its own for MUCH less money. SE = same bridge, good wood, set neck - under $1K. DW = FR1000, Mojotone pickups, maple board, ugly top, painted/silk screened birds - $2.5K. The value is in the SE Floyd, IMHO....

Another option is getting a PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 with a maple neck from the UK limited run.

This dealer will ship to the US. I asked them before about it.

PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Quilt with Torrified Maple Neck in Whale Blue #T01146 https://reverb.com/item/24175188-pr...th-torrified-maple-neck-in-whale-blue-t01146?
Not a bad idea. Torrified maple slightly loses it’s appeal to me when it’s gloss finished though. I wish those runs had been done with a non glossy finish on the neck. The feel is part of the appeal!

Back