Core Custom 24 Floyd woes - incorrect routing?

guitar_man_man_man

Just recently jumped on the floyd train and was stoked to do so with a used core custom 24 floyd. The only problem is that the routing around the floyd doesn't seem right. The saddle locking bolts at the front of the trem dig into the wood under the plate when you push down on the trem past a certain point. So the range of motion is basically limited to maybe an octave - no dive bombing possible. The outside edges of the front of the trem plate dig into the wood in the cavity as well if you try to dive bomb.

Just doesn't seem like there's enough room directly under the front of the trem, which is tiered up about quarter of an inch from the rest of the cavity. Is this normal or did I get hosed with a mis-carved cavity?

Pretty sure this is a legit PRS - looks, sounds, and plays beautiful other than this trem situation. Anyone else experience this? I was thinking it might be that the bolts are too long because the tips stick out a little, but the front trem edge also seems to dig in on the treble side and I'veseen pictures online of the screws sticking out, so i think thats normal.

q9v3lhb.jpeg

snO0XM9.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know, if you were able to solve the issue yet, but according to the first picture the treble side post is lower, compared to the one on the bass side. That makes the bridgeplate tilt, and not being parallel with the body. I would check into that first.

I don't know, if you were able to solve the issue yet, but according to the first picture the treble side post is lower, compared to the one on the bass side. That makes the bridgeplate tilt, and not being parallel with the body. I would check into that first.
Thanks for the response. I've haven't seen anywhere that says the front/back of the trem plate needs to be parallel to the body, just the sides - which it was on my guitar. Every bridge I've ever set up has different treble and bass side heights to accommodate the different string thicknesses (i.e. bass side higher). Anyway, I spoke with PRS support and they suggested I set the action to PRS specs and that should clear up any issues, which it did. I think I just prefer lower action than PRS specs, so I may either just live with it or shave the tips of the saddle bolts down. Didn't ever have this issue on my ibanez j custom though.

Last edited:
Back