Floyd Spring Adjustment

haffner1

This is my first PRS w/Floyd and I'm having some issues with adjustment and looking for recommendation. I usually adjust all my Floyd equipped guitars for 3 springs and I've never had an issue doing so. For some reason, this one doesn't want to go to 3 springs with the stock springs. I'm using standard tuning with .10 gauge strings. The guitar arrived with 4 springs installed when I got it. When I first swapped the stock sustain block for the brass one, the adjustment on the claw was getting close to max, so I went to 5 springs, but I just didn't like the tighter feel. I was able to get it back to 4 springs, but just barely. Has anyone used the FU-Tone heavy springs to go to 3 springs? Given the increased tension of those, I wonder if it would even make that much difference in feel. Any Floyd users with recommendations would be appreciated.

20240421-201722.jpg

I concur with Gush.
My lone Floyd guitar is set up just as he said.
One straight center and the outer pair angled .
It was a bit of a futz to begin with as it was my first Floyd but it dialed in well and has not been adjusted again since.

I concur with Gush.
My lone Floyd guitar is set up just as he said.
One straight center and the outer pair angled .
It was a bit of a futz to begin with as it was my first Floyd but it dialed in well and has not been adjusted again since.
I will give it a shot the next time I have the strings loose. It could be that angling the outside springs will add enough tension to the allow it to float properly with 3 springs. I've never needed that with my 25.5 inch scale guitars with .09s, but this is my first shorter scale with a Floyd.

Back