Floyd Spring Adjustment

haffner1

This is my first PRS w/Floyd and I'm having some issues with adjustment and looking for recommendation. I usually adjust all my Floyd equipped guitars for 3 springs and I've never had an issue doing so. For some reason, this one doesn't want to go to 3 springs with the stock springs. I'm using standard tuning with .10 gauge strings. The guitar arrived with 4 springs installed when I got it. When I first swapped the stock sustain block for the brass one, the adjustment on the claw was getting close to max, so I went to 5 springs, but I just didn't like the tighter feel. I was able to get it back to 4 springs, but just barely. Has anyone used the FU-Tone heavy springs to go to 3 springs? Given the increased tension of those, I wonder if it would even make that much difference in feel. Any Floyd users with recommendations would be appreciated.

20240421-201722.jpg

I concur with Gush.
My lone Floyd guitar is set up just as he said.
One straight center and the outer pair angled .
It was a bit of a futz to begin with as it was my first Floyd but it dialed in well and has not been adjusted again since.

I concur with Gush.
It was a bit of a futz to begin with as it was my first Floyd but it dialed in well and has not been adjusted again since.
I will give it a shot the next time I have the strings loose. It could be that angling the outside springs will add enough tension to the allow it to float properly with 3 springs. I've never needed that with my 25.5 inch scale guitars with .09s, but this is my first shorter scale with a Floyd.

I concur with Gush.
Well, that didn't work at all. This is tuned to standard with .010 gauge strings with 2 angled springs and one straight in the center. The claw is maxed out already.

20240510-190405.jpg

20240510-190417.jpg

Even with 4 straight, it's close to being maxed out after I balanced it out again.
20240510-191944.jpg

I think part of the issue may be that the big block moved the ends of the springs forward towards the neck by a few millimeters. I will have to do some measurements and get some heavier springs, or go back to the standard floyd block and see if that works.

zr0ZoXI.jpeg
I have a DW and swapped to the big block like that.
I’m using the fu tone noiseless black springs. 3 straight with 10’s and it’s balanced fine. Still have room to move the claw
Thanks for the tip! How is the feel of the strings compared to standard tension springs? I'm hoping it won't feel quite as stiff as with the 4 springs I have going now. How are you liking the DW? I also find those somewhat tempting!

Thanks for the tip! How is the feel of the strings compared to standard tension springs? I'm hoping it won't feel quite as stiff as with the 4 springs I have going now. How are you liking the DW? I also find those somewhat tempting!
They feel the same as the standard springs.
Movement is really smooth, not stiff at all.
I’m not really a Floyd guy. All my other guitars are stoptail, but the dusty ticked a lot of boxes for me and it’s awesome. Everything it does it does well. It’s also my guitar with the lowest action and the thinnest neck. If you have the means to get one it’s definitely worth it especially if you like using a Floyd. I also swapped out the FR special that comes on it to a real german original but the special is great too.

After some measurements and string tension calculations, I went with the reds, which are the next heaviest up from the black. Got it to balance with 2 plus one normal tension. Was able to back the claw off a bit from where it was at with 4 springs. The string feel is now much closer to my other guitars at standard tuning with 3 regular springs.

20240518-190711.jpg

Back