Five-Way Super Switch with Push/Pull Volume Pot for Two Humbuckers

wthinavl

Wondering if it possible to wire up a five-way super switch with a push/pull volume pot to get 10 different combinations of Humbucker/Coil Split combinations?

This is what I'm trying to get close to:

Push Pot
1: Bridge Humbucker
2: Bridge Humbucker / Single Coil Neck
3: Bridge/Neck Humbucker
4: Bridge Single Coil/Neck Humbucker
5: Neck Humbucker
Pull Pot
1: Bridge Single Coil
2: Bridge/Neck [Inner coils]
4: Bridge/Neck [Outer coils]
5: Neck Single Coil

Alright so this might get you close (obvious caveat that I haven't tested it):

Push Pot
2: Bridge Slug Coil / Neck Slug Coil
4: Bridge Screw Coil / Neck Humbucker

Pull Pot
1: Bridge Screw Coil
3: Bridge Humbucker / Neck Screw Coil
4: Bridge Screw Coil / Neck Screw Coil
5: Neck Screw Coil

Push Pot

Pull Pot

Oh man.....really appreciate the help. I think I've got it. Waiting on the super switch.

Push Pot

Pull Pot

One more question....what do the resistors do?

The resistors prevent some signal from being grounded out in the positions that split by grounding one coil (as opposed to just changing the hot to the tap). Result is less volume loss in that position. If you don’t want that effect you can just take them out.

And by the way all those combinations are wired in parallel

Right. I think I've got it. Will start putting it together tomorrow and let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

What about a 5way freeway switch plus 2 push/pulls? I'm trying to come up with the most tones I can, but I'm a noob. (on 2 humbuckers)

Hey! I just recently stumbled upon this thread. I have actually been trying to do a similar approach to have 10 combinations and your diagram was the closest I've seen. Problem is, I'm using an Ibanez w/ new dimarzio pickups. I figured the diagram you drew was using PRS pickup color coding so I cross-referenced the wires. However, I learned my Humbuckers are 4-conductor wire not 3. I figured I would essentially connect the coils as if they were spliced in series to make it a fake 3-conductor set up. Once everything was connected I tested my switch, and the problem is that I only have 4 pickup selections. Whether the push/pull is up or down, it's the same selections. 1 is the neck H, 2 is the neck H but north coil is louder, 3 is the neck H again (can't tell a difference between 1 & 3) 4 is the neck H but south coil is louder. So I'm trying to figure out where I messed up or if this setup is possible. I noticed my 5way has 4 commons and 20 other lugs vs your diagram which showed 2 commons and 16 lugs. Initially, I was trying to go more for coil-splitting vs. Tapping. Any advice would be much appreciated on this. TIA

Back