First PRS purchase

branamjc

Hey guys! I'm looking to purchase my first PRS guitar. I've been a long time owner/player of Fenders (strats/teles/jaguars). My budget is around $1500 to $1800. I'm okay buying used as long as it's in good condition. I have only played the PRS SE type models in the past but none of the CE or Custom models. I'm looking for a flexible guitar as I would likely use this for playing at church (black gospel, CCM music) to my band (hardcore rock).

What are the main sonic differences between the CE and Custom models? I'm not a trem user so I would likely block the trem. I do, however, do a lot of bending with my playing. Is there tuning stability issues with trem equipped PRS guitars where the trem has been blocked? I'm looking at the 22 fret PRS models and am aware that CE 22 have been discontinued so I would be looking on the used market.

Thanks

Good questions!

Tuning stability should not be an issue with a blocked trem. I had an SE Navarro and a core Tremonti, both with trem blocked and had no stability issues. I have a core Tremonti now with the trem floating and it's really stable.

For best flexibility, I'd recommend the studio or swamp ash studio models. There is an S2 studio in current production as well.

Enjoy the hunt!

Keep an eye out for a CE22 or a Swamp Ash Special with a stoptail, they’re out there.

Used McCarty’s and Standard 22’s are great bargains used, and rad guitars.

Would you be looking for a double cut shape, or is single cut on the table? SC245 is a wonderful guitar and very reasonably priced used.

Scale length would be a consideration as well. You can get 24.5" or 25". They affect bending, feel and tone. If you like the fenders, the longer the better. I would argue that I was a 25.5" purist, but love the shorter scale PRS guitars. In any case, 25" is a happy medium.

Would you be looking for a double cut shape, or is single cut on the table? SC245 is a wonderful guitar and very reasonably priced used.

Scale length would be a consideration as well. You can get 24.5" or 25". They affect bending, feel and tone. If you like the fenders, the longer the better. I would argue that I was a 25.5" purist, but love the shorter scale PRS guitars. In any case, 25" is a happy medium.

Being a Fender guy I'd like to stick to the 25" scale length for bending and familiarity.

I've been interested in the CE lines both new and older and reading a lot on their "sound" and build quality.

If you want new, a CE24 will do you well. Block the trem (or get a Tremel-no) and you are good to go.
Sounds amazing, and build quality is great.

I have a Trampas Green CE24 I bought new a few years ago. I installed an ESP Arming Adjuster on the trem.
You can set the backpull balancing spring so tight is like it's blocked. Then set higher tension on the main
tremolo springs to keep from diving when doing single/multi string aggressive bends. It's very very simple to
install one unless you can't use a screwdriver.

I have custom wound pickups in mine, but the stock ones were actually great. I just wanted a set of custom PureWound
Zhangbucker pickups in it. :)

PRS Trems are killer, if you get one with a trem try it for awhile you will be a changed player.

PRS Trems are killer, if you get one with a trem try it for awhile you will be a changed player.
I 2nd that emotion.
it behaves differently (better) than a strat tremolo,
It seems like you should better define your purpose, You should definitely get a PRS for a specific attribute, a Specific purpose
there are so many to choose from now,
There is no doubt you will almost like any PRS you pick up. but it pays to have some specific reasons to help you choose.
you should be able to find a hard tail, If you want that., many PRS players now enjoy the subtle tone that the US models tremolo design adds to the tonal characteristics.
David Grissom calls it a slight reverb tank effect that hard tails do not have.
Standard disclaimer applies if you can play the guitar ahead of time that's much recommended, To fall in love with it.

But to try and be the 1st one to answer your question, what are the sonic differences between custom 22 and a CE 22,
very similar, The bolt on Maple neck adds slightly more crispness to the string attack. Probably something more in feel and playability rather than tone
The older more affordable ones 10 to 20 years old have Dragon 2 pickups, which are hit and miss for people.
I had a custom 22 for 30 days from guitar Center, back in about 2005 I liked everything about the guitar except for the Dragon 2 pick ups were just slightly off, good, but didnt enjoy them enough,, I got a store credit, ended up buying up Gibson SG for a more classic tone. You have so many options you can consider the PRS S2 models. I actually don't think your budget can afford a custom 22, And you have to get a very old CE 22, and hope it's in good shape.

But I just recently played a brand-new CE 24 in guitar Center, What an amazing value, amazing guitar. modern, vintage, flexible, I recommend you try one of those out, At your local guitar Center, you could easily block the trem I suppose. The 24 frets are the only downside, which many call an upside.
PRS singlecut S2 Can be had with the stop tail 25 inch scale 22 frets.
so many options

good luck

I'm not sure about playability difference on the CE's vs CU's but there's definitely a presence factor to the maple neck and bolt on design.
Adds a little more 'snap'.

Pretty good value used if you shop right, but lately I'm noticing 00's CE's and player CU's overlapping a little.
D2's aren't bad IMO, I used them for years, but depends on the rig. Probably perfect into boogies.

Back